Old 03-03-2008, 03:37 PM   #1  

Height: 6'0"

Default Thin4Life - Week of 3/3/08

Hello, everyone. It's very nice here today--should be 80 or so. Our weather has been up and down. I went to a tea yesterday and ate way too many sweets.

DH is doing much better and returned to work today. This has been terrible for him. He's not 100% well, but close.

Went for a walk on the beach yesterday and it was beautiful. Headed to Tai Chi tonight which I enjoy. Later this week I'll be very busy. I'm MC'ing a training seminar and then I'm the bartender at our church fundraiser.

How is everyone else doing?
Domina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 200.6/174.4/150

Height: 5'6

Hello!

I am feeling stressed and I am not sure why? I thought after this big party and having company for the weekend, I would have a sigh of relief but I am still stressed. I can't actually say that I don't know why. I mean I am starting a new job next week and we have St. Pat's and Easter coming up in the same week. Plus DH's actual b-day is the 14th and even though we had a party, we still will have cake etc to acknowledge the his actual day, esp since 30 a big one!

I am also a little stressed about something else that's big and I have been holding back for a while because talking about it makes it real, but I think it will make me feel better so here goes-- We are trying to get pregnant. I am so excited about having another baby and totally ready for the work, but financially we have just now got to a comfortable place and we are going to start building a home within the next year. I know that no one is ever 100% ready, and lord knows we weren't ready for Jackson. Well, he was planned and we thought we were ready, but it's hard. I feel like I shouldn't be venting about this, because it is what we want and I did just get a great job and we do have a nest egg saved up, but still. I am going to see if my new job has maternity benefits this week at my orientation and if so, thEn we will see when they kick in. Honestly we don't really need a paid leave. DH gets one!! And I will go back to work after 12 wks anyways, plus we are covered by the Family Medical Leave. If they offer a fully paid 12wks after 12 months of employment then I may wait 3 months so that I am there for at least a year when I have another baby. If not we'll see. We didn't want our first 2 kids to be this far apart, but I went back to school and now it's time. I don't want Jackson to be 4 when we finally have another... for me that is just too far apart. I know people who have them farther and love the distance in age and find it easier but I wanted to have them 2 years apart. OK, I know this has nothing to do w. WL and I am blabbing on, but I needed to talk/write about it and now I feel better. Feel free to give me honest input. Oh and I plan to continue to follow WW while I am pregnant. I know that isn't allowed, but I am just going to keep counting and writing my points down and continue working out and try not to gain too much. I will have to eat more and I obviously don't want to loose any weight. My OB says that as long as I stay OP and act as if I am nursing which gives me an extra 10 points than I will be OK. I know I can't do meetings etc, but I hope you will all let me keep posting and help me to make healthy choices. I just feel like I need the guidelines and structure. I have an appt this week w. my OB and she is going to go over weight gain w. me. I want to keep it under 20#, which should be fine. I am down almost 20# now and I would have loved to have lost more before gaining some, but I will loose it after. OK seriously tell me if I am crazy?
tanya1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:40 PM   #3  
No Sniveling!

S/C/G: 168/130/130

Height: 5'3"

Tanya! I'm sure you're not crazy. That's just a big decision and alot of thought has to go into it. When I had my twins I thought I wouldn't have any more kids and then 6 years later I had another one, talk about crazy!!!! It will all work out in the end and it sounds like you've given it some thought and planning. Good luck. (I didn't know you couldn't do WW while pregnant. Obviously you wouldn't want to lose weight but it seems like they could just give you extra points and you could still go to the meetings for the support. Anyway, it sounds like that's what you'll be doing anyway, using the extra nursing points and coming here for support). Good luck

Lisa-your weather sounds great! So glad to hear your husband is feeling better. Is Tai Chi martial arts or more of an exercise class?

Ok, almost time for me to head to bed. It's my "friday" tonight!!!! I came home and slept for a couple of hours then I had to get up to pick up a couple of prescriptions so I went to Curves while I was out.

I said tonight is my "friday" and it is but I actually am working 14 hours, just some overtime added on to my regular shift. Then I'll drive straight to my son's tennis match (hope he does well!) THEN I'll be ready to sleep!

Hope everyone has a great OP week. Talk to you later. Jane
greatchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:00 AM   #4  

Jane,
Thanks for all the support and well wishes. Actually you can't technically stay on WW while pregnant. The company doesn't allow it, and in general they shouldn't. I can't go to meetings if I am visibly pregnant, but I can count my points on my own and make sure that I stay active and only gain a healthy amount. I gained 30# w. Jax, which normally isn't too bad, but I was 50# overweight when I got pregnant so it was too much. At my weight now, it would be OK if I only gained 18# and too much if I gain over 25#. I am going to aim for 18-20, and if I loose more before I get pregnant, than I will consider that. I am only continuing to follow the guidelines, of journaling what I eat, getting in my fiber, fruits and veggies, dairy, water, etc and I will continue to work out as long as I can. I did prenatal yoga w. DS and it was great!

Last edited by tanya1979; 03-04-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:45 PM   #5  

Not having had children, I cannot give an opinion. For myself, I would not like to start a new job and then have to take maternity leave right away. Also, you've done so well with your weight loss, Tanya.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:45 PM   #6  

These are both valid points. I think that in a perfect world I would have lost all the weight first and been at my job longer. The thing is last year we waited so I could go back to school, and then we waited until I had a job, which I did. Then we decided I can only work part-time, since Rick's works third shift and we don't want Jackson in daycare more than 3 days a week. So I got a new job and I think we just feel like, there will always be a reason to put it off a bit longer. It's important for us not to have one child finishing up high school, only to have another just starting, which is already a possibility, since Jackson will be almost 3 and 1/2 at the youngest by the time we have another. I am just praying that I have an easy pregnancy like I did w. DS. I worked until the Sunday 9/11 and and I delivered on Tues 9/13! I took Monday off to cook meals for Rick while I was in the hospital. I had a scheduled c-section, so I new when I would have him, and I new I would be in the hospital for 5 days. I hoped that I would be at work for a few months, but 9 months will be enough time for ,me to settle in and get acclimated. Also this is a very open and family orientated practice, so I think they will be supportive. I start Monday so I will get a better feel for it then. I am actually eager to hear peoples advice and concerns, because it helps me to think about whether or not this is the right choice and the right time. As of right now I still think it is.

OK back to weight loss. I am down a total of 20# according to my mom's scale today! I am hoping the same is sure for my WI in on Friday. I went to the gym yesterday and today after skipping it over the weekend. I did go walking w. my mom and DS on Sunday morning, but is was short and leisure. I am hoping to avoid the birthday cake that has been calling me from the fridge since Saturday night. It was soooooo good. It's Yellow cake w. butter cream and raspberry filling. Oops sorry, not trying to tempt anybody. I hate when people do that to me. Speaking of that my MIL came over on Friday and we had just spoken about about how hard I am trying to resist sweet and junk food.. I told her that Rick had avoided buying girl scout cookies from the girls at the grocery store so that I wouldn't have a hard time resisting. I thought that was sweet and unlike him to think that hard about something involving my WL issues. He loves them and so do I. Well she came over Friday morning w. a bag full of girl scout cookies. Seriously? Am I being silly? I mean I am not mad, nut I was annoyed and disappointed. I made him take them to work and promise not to eat them all. He had lost some weight recently and brought his cholesterol down 30points on his own, but he has gained it all back plus more, and who know weather his cholesterol is back up there?!

Lisa
, Do explain Thai Chi... I am intrigued. Is it very difficult?

How is everyone doing?

Last edited by tanya1979; 03-04-2008 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:46 PM   #7  
No Sniveling!

Hold on to your hats ladies!!! I gained 80 pounds when I had my twins!!!

People always say "well, that was with twins"!!! I gained exactly half with my 3rd son!!!! 40 pounds!

My twins weighed 6 lbs. each and my other son weighed 9 lbs 3 oz so where was all that weight???!!! My face, my arms, my butt!

Last edited by greatchoice; 03-04-2008 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:23 AM   #8  

It's a little cooler here today. I did pretty well with eating yesterday. Tonight I'm going to a nice dinner with the speakers who will be at my professional seminar tomorrow. I'm the MC! Because of the seminar, I won't be posting tomorrow.

Following the all-day seminar, our church is having a big Irish show fundraiser and I'm the bartender. I'm not really a drinker or anything. We serve Irish coffees, wine, beer and sodas. A few years ago, I went to the I also help the treasurer with the money. What a day tomorrow will be!

Tanya, As I said, don't pay attention to what I say--I don't have any children. If you and your husband have thought the baby idea through, then go for it. Your MIL may have been forgetful? Do you have a good relationship with her? If so, it may have just been a mistake. If you don't, then be careful, because she may be sabotaging your weight loss. That is so sad. When I was in my WW loss mode, there were many discussions on this board and on WW about sabotage. There really are people who do that to folks losing weight. It's very sad. Good idea to send them to work with DH. I was going to ask if DH was also doing WW with you? My DH did and it made staying OP so easy.

Tai chi is easy as far as it's not aerobic or anything. It's not even as strenuous as yoga. It's flowing movement, but very exact. It teaches balance, inner peace, and destressing. It's not easy from the vantage of remembering all of the moves. I'm really enjoying it.

Lori, Hope your trip is going well and that you are doing better. You must be if you plan to take a walk. Yes, you did tell us that you plan to have a baby. When will you get your IBS diagnosis? If you are diagnosed with that, I have a great website to send you with lots of good information and boards like this where folks share their experiences. I've had IBS for 34 years (of course diagnosed in the mid-90's) Nobody knew what it was when I was growing up.

Jane, 80 pounds! I can't imagine that gain. You must have been miserable.

Hello to Melissa, Pam, Theresa

Last edited by Domina; 03-05-2008 at 08:25 AM.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:40 AM   #9  

Height: 5'7"

Good morning! We're in the midst of an ice storm this morning. Last night was horrible--I worked at the WW Center and had to chip off 1/4" of ice before I could leave and then this morning another 1/2" of ice. It was not fun! The trees looks pretty but a lot of the limbs are hanging really low and I'm sure there is going to be a lot of damage from trees falling. Our power is out at home.

Tanya: I have 5 years between by sons and honestly I'm enjoying the fact that DS #1 is out of college and I'm able to enjoy DS #2 in his last 2 years of high school. I know a lot of people like having their kids close together but I thought I'd give my perspective. DS #1 was involved with bowling all through high school & college and DS #2 is involved in football. Their personalities are opposite--DS #1 is more reserved and DS #2 is my "social butterfly" as I call him. I'm really enjoying the one-on-one time with him. I was able to do that with DS #1 when he was younger. In any case, I wouldn't worry too much about how much distance there is between your children. With both of the boys I gained 22 and 23#; with DS #2 I did a lot of walking and was back into my regular clothes in just a few weeks; DS #1 was a totally different story. Of course he was born the first part of January and DS #2 was born in August. You can follow the 8 healthy guidelines when you get pregnant and be aware of your portion sizes so you don't gain an excessive amount of weight. I wish I would've had that information when I was pregnant with DS #1.

Jane: Do you have identical twins or fraternal? My DH has a twin sister.

Lori: I'm sure you're enjoying nicer weather than we are here in the northeast! I am SO ready for Spring! Monday we hit 65 degrees and today it's 25! I hope you get everything figured out so that you can move forward with getting pregnant--it's an exciting time!

Lisa: I read an article on CNN yesterday about tea at the Plaza and how they charge $100 a person! Yikes! I wish we had more tea rooms here. The sweets are usually really good at tea; I really enjoy the different types of sandwiches and of course the scones!

Well, I'm not going to my WW meeting today because the weather is so nasty--it's not worth trying to navigate the streets with the trees & ice. I'll sit it on the meeting here at work on Friday and possible WI then. We have our big staff meeting on Saturday and we'll get weighed there anyway. We're required to send in our weights once a month, which I did already.

I'll catch up a little more later on.
MelissaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:19 PM   #10  
No Sniveling!

Good morning ladies. It's awfully quiet in here.

I was all prepared to stay home all day waiting for a package from Fedex that needed to be signed for and it got here at 10 am! I may just stay home and relax all day anyway.

My son has a tennis match in Dana Hills which is over somewhere by LA so I'm not going to that. He has done very well this year. He is 6-0 so far.

Lisa-you are right! I was miserable when I was pregnant with my twins and they were born in Oct. so I went through the whole summer. I had an older doctor who told me to just eat, eat, eat to make them big (I think that was the thinking back in the "olden days!"). Anyway, I certainly followed his instructions!

Lori-congratulations on getting the go-ahead to get pregnant

Melissa-I hate being without power! So you have to report your weight to WW every month since you work for them? Do you have to stay exactly (or below) your goal weight or do they give you any leeway?
My twins are very identical (well actually they are mirror image twins, one is right handed & one is left handed). We were in the college town where one of them goes & the son who lives there was at a meeting so my other son & I were just out walking around the little town and people kept saying "Hi R" (not his name) and he just kept saying "hi" I asked him why he was doing that and he just said it is easier! It's weird to me because even though I can obviously see they look alike they don't look alike to me (if that makes any sense?!).

Ok, hope everyone has a great day. I am going to try to concentrate on laundry. I have to work some overtime tonight but only from midnight-6 am so that is like nothing! Talk to you later. Jane

Last edited by greatchoice; 03-06-2008 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:24 PM   #11  

Jane: Our power was finally restored around 3:30 yesterday afternoon; thank goodness I didn't have to go home to a cold house! It's a requirement of working for WW that you have to WI once a month and you must not be over goal. They use the top of the range for your height so my top is 160 but my actual goal weight for LT is 145 so I go by that. If you are over you get a letter from your territory manager asking you to get in touch and you must weigh in weekly and fax your slip until you are in the range again. If you don't get back there by a certain length of time you are "suspended" from working until you are where you need to be. I've never had a problem with that because when I joined WW I was just over the top of the range (161) and I NEVER want to see that again!

It's amazing what a difference a day makes--the sun is shining and the temp is 39 so all the ice on the trees had melted. It was beautiful seeing the ice glistening on the trees this morning. I took a few pictures with my digital camera.

It's quiet here in the office--the students are on break and my boss took today and tomorrow off so I'm getting caught up with some things. It's been nice. I went with my walking buddy at noon and we walked 2 1/2 miles so I at least got some activity in today. I also made it through last night without snacking too much and stayed at my Target which was a challenge.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:35 PM   #12  
No Sniveling!

Oh yeah, I forgot to report I lost 1/2 lb. this week!!! I still haven't lost the lb. I gained 2 weeks ago (.2 last week and .5 this week). I am a real slow poke! I am happy not to gain.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:40 AM   #13  

Another snowy day here in NW Pennsylvania...another storm is moving in and we're supposed to get snow (5" tonight and another 4-7" tomorrow with blowing and drifting). I sure hope not! Tomorrow morning I'm filling in for another receptionist for WW at 7:15 a.m.! I'll be working 3 meetings and then afterwards we have our Spring Staff Meeting from 1-4 so my Saturday is pretty well shot.

I've been doing pretty well with keeping my journal and I've been working on the night time eating but I have to admit it's been a challenge. It's such an easy habit to fall back into and such a hard one to break out of!

Jane: Congrats on your loss! I am a slow loser too--I can put on the weight really quick and it takes twice as long to get rid of it. I'd rather take small losses over a gain any day!

Hi to Tanya, Theresa, Pam, Lori, Lisa, and anyone else I may have missed!
Old 03-07-2008, 02:03 PM   #14  

Jane, Congrats on the loss Well, at least it was a loss. Melissa is right, though. Why does it go on faster but it is slower to take off? I have heard from others that their twins are easy to tell apart. There must be some inner sixth sense that you mothers of twins have.

Melissa, So glad your power was restored. That can be quite annoying. After the hurricanes in 2004, we had no power for a week. At least it wasn't freezing outside! (It was 90's with high humidity).

The seminar went very well yesterday. The church Irish Show was a success. We netted $7K for an orphanage in India.

Tomorrow DH and I are going to a couples bridal shower which should be fun. Then I am driving to St. Pete to visit with a cousin from California. He is in town for business.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:04 PM   #15  

Hello!

I am finally starting to settle down and relax after the busy few weeks that have just past. I have a full day of orientation in Boston on Monday at Beth Israel Hospital and I start work at the office on Wednesday! I excited about the orientation and both excited and nervous about my fist day of work. They called me to welcome we and give me a rundown on what to expect on my first day. The woman who normally checks in patients was going to train me in that area first, but is going away unexpectedly so I will running patients all day w, another medical assistant and then on my own for the last couple hours of the day. They only booked 4 pt's (patients) and they are all routine visits, so it should be too stressful. I like to be sort of thrown into things, but I am just hoping that I can pull my own weight and I am not totally lost. All practices are different so I just want to really focus on how they manage things so that it seems fluid and is comfortable for the patients. Some pt's become quite attached the the staff and can be timid around a new employee. Especially if they assume that because I am new to the practice, I may also be new to the duties, which I am not. I mean vital signs and urinalysis are simple, but it's just getting used to the specific tools and tray setup that the doctor prefers, etc. My last office did not use the CMA's (certified medical assistants) in as many procedures as this new office does. That is good, because I want to learn it all and I want to be more involved in the clinical aspect of patient care. I am just hoping I catch on quickly. This new practice is just the doctors, reception, and CMA's, so no nurses. Also we have a phlebotomist in the building, and also a sonographer and radiology dept, so that is a plus for the patients and I don't have to do any blood drawing. I actually don't mind that, I am good at it. I will be doing injections, but not many. Just the gardasil mostly. Ok sorry, rambling again.

I went to my WW meeting on Friday and I am down 2.2#! I am now down 20.2'bs and have hit my 10% goal. I am not going to be able to go to the Friday morning meetings anymore, since I will be working, so I am hoping to go to the Thursday mornings instead. The same leader does them and I love her. I just hope the group provides a good dynamic. This group that I have been going to WW meetings w. since Jan is great and really funny, esp for 8am! I am the youngest one though and I would like to hear form some women closer to my age who are in the thick of it. A lot of the women in my meetings are lifetime. I think you need both. Although the support I get from all of you who have done this is tremendous, and when I am working on maintenance it will be even more helpful.

I had my annual exam yesterday and my doctor gave me the official go-ahead to get pregnant. We talked a lot about weight gain and water retention and working out. I am feeling better now about the decision start TTC. Also my benefits package came in the mail, and I will have earned time off paid in 6 months. I will have enough hours earned to equal 6 wks of my reg weekly part time pay. That is great! The final 6 weeks are covered by the FMLA and Rick has paid time off as well as paid paternity benefits (unheard of around here)!! I am actually not going to need him to take off as much time as he did w. Jackson, because I have so much help w. my mom and sisters and he works nights, so I have to be the one getting up anyways since I will be breastfeeding. I mean the nights he has off will be nice because he can do diaper changing etc, but it will be easier I think, since we have done this once before. Notice how I say "easier" and not easy... I am not that diluted!

I gained 30 w. Jackson and lost it right away, but I was already 50# overweight when I got pregnant so it wasn't as great as it sounds. I was SOOOOOO PUFFY w. Jackson, it was humorous. I was a marshmallow from 18wks until I delivered at 39wks. People in the restaurant I worked at used to ask me why I wasn't taking time off so close to delivery... this was in April/May. I was due in SEPTEMBER!! I had to buy a size 10,1/2 work shoe and I wear an 8. Also I could not bend my feet or knees some days. The thing is though, I had the easiest pregnancy ever. I did not have a lick of morning sickness, no breast tenderness, no heartburn, nothing. Not even a true craving. I did find myself wanting hot-dogs and potato salad a lot though, lol! It was great and I felt great. I just looked like the good-year blimp. I will post a picture. Oh and speaking of pics I am posting a pic from Rick's party in my profile. In this pic Rick and Justin (USMC buddy) look drunk and tired, but I look cute!!

Ok so how is everyone doing? Not as many posts this week?

Last edited by tanya1979; 03-08-2008 at 01:22 PM.