Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2001, 09:53 AM   #16  

Its been a bit of a mad week - I seem to have been away from here for days! Well, since Tuesday night and now its Friday afternoon. I have been OP ( ) but it is still hard. Last night I went over by 8 points as I went out for a pizza with an old friend. But this morning I overslept and so skipped breakfast (as I was not up until 11 am and only woke up then because the phone rang...... .....I figure I needed the sleep). I have had a WW ready meal for lunch (beef lasagne) and a tin of WW baked beans (total 7.5pts). For dinner tonight I am going to buy the most luxurious and expensive lean filet steaks that I can get my hands on (about 5 pts depending on size), and do them with salad and roasted veg (I thought roast a pumpkin or a butternut if I can get hold of one, with yummy spices - coriander, cinnamon, cumin and ginger.... ) and maybe some baked fries too, and a spoon of mayo. That should allow me to claw back some of yesterdays overspend of points without feeling deprived! It is still a struggle at the moment though, but you know what? I think it is a phase, and the struggle will lift and I will be back to it being as easy as falling off a log. That is my hope.

Exercise.........you all put me to shame. I am off exercise. But will go out and do some gardening when I have finished this post, and that will be something at least.

The phone call this morning was from my friend who had the MRI scan. The doctors are being cagey, but it looks as if she has MS. What a devastating blow. She is having some more tests, but all the symptoms point to it (her MRI showed up a lot of patches of inflamed nerve endings in her brain - all over it). Apparently they dont give an MS diagnosis until you have your second 'episode'. She is in quite a lot of denial about it. I think that is natural. It is such a shock though. Three weeks ago she was fine, and now suddenly her whole future looks very different from how she expected it to be. . All I can do is listen and support and let her laugh, cry, deny, accept, fear, defy........I am just trying to be there for her really.

OK, I am off to do some chores (gardening, supermarket, and I still have not finished that essay.......). Love to everyone - and Hi to Cutie and welcome.
Ps Bunny - I would love it if someone crept in to my room at night and put a special quilt on my bed!!! Fantastic!!

Love
lilac
Old 11-16-2001, 02:03 PM   #17  

Just a brief stop to say "yahoo" 'cause I'm down another 2 pounds for a total of 37 lost to date!

Off to do 14th-birthday-things with my kid now.

Later, ladies!!!
Old 11-16-2001, 03:20 PM   #18  

The teen has rented A Knight's Tale for us to watch this afternoon so I'm off to do that in a moment. Wanted to post briefly about short term goals -- kinda get your thoughts on 'em.

I've added a "Christmas 2001" goal to my signature line. I was realizing as my daughter and I wandered and chatted this afternoon that really, losing 50 pounds by Christmas is doable for me now! So I decided to make that a short term goal. I'm divided on the question of how good short term goals are for you-- and what impact they can have if you "miss" them. My thinking right now is that if I don't make the goal by Christmas, it becomes a "New Year's 2001" goal or a "St. Valentine's Goal" or what have you. What do you think?

Lilac -- just being there is the best thing you can do for your friend. Its a hard row she's to hoe now -- and she'll need as many friendly ears as she can find now. An acquantance of mine is dealing with this now as her sister was recently diagnosed with MS (this followed on the heels of her brother's suicide actually -- so their family has needed friendly listeners more than most this year). Anyway -- be there. Its a gift beyond compare really.

Later, ladies!!
Old 11-16-2001, 09:23 PM   #19  
Slimwithin

Well, I got through my pie baking session without any mishaps. Baked 4 apple, 1 raisin, 1 date/nut loaf and a pan of peanut brittle. Hope that's enough to satisfy them. I also made a deep apple pie to keep as my DH comes home on Sunday and I want him to think I'm glad to see him.
Lilac that's tough news your friend has to deal with. I think I'd be in denial too. She's lucky to have a friend like you to help her through the rough patches.
Bunny thanks for the info on the elliptical trainer. Now I have a better idea on what to avoid. By the way, I don't have a recipe for Hot & Sour Soup. I don't much care for it so have never bothered to get a recipe for it. Now if you were to mention Wonton soup, I'd be happy to do a search for a recipe. I've only ever made it once and making the wontons was a tedious procedure but well worth the effort.
Determined enjoy your holiday. SOunds like you really need the break.

Now to the bad news. Gosh darn it, I just don't know what to do about those scales at WW. I think next time I'll take along a sledge hammer. I KNOW I'm losing inches but I'd sure like to see some downward action on those scales. The pound I lost last week? HAHA..this week is almost all back. I've been SO GOOD too. Except for one day when I went over my top points allowed, I've been at the low end of my range all week. Trying not to be ticked off but really, shouldn't the fat melt a little faster than a glacier???
Trying desperately not to binge tonight.
Old 11-17-2001, 08:32 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default Glorious Saturday!

Hi ladies!

My first day of vacation and I've been awake since 4:30 am. What's up with that???? I'm excited and am sitting here thinking about my game plan. I want to accomplish projects, exercise, read and relax and not have my vacation whoosh by with nothing to show for it. So I'm making my lists. One of the things I most want to accomplish is to stop the mindless snacking I've been doing the last few days. I'm going to assume that its a reaction to the stress of the work week and do my best to make it be done. I'd hate to gain back pounds before Thanksgiving even gets here. My goal for a great beautiful Saturday will be lots of outdoor activity.

Lilac - I'm so sorry to read about your friend's news. How wonderful that she has you to help her. You mentioned that she has only had the MRI and they are waiting on a second episode. Here in the states, doctors do a myleogram (sp?) where they check the spinal fluid. DH had it as part of his diagnosis of diabetic neuropathy. The neurologist told me this test is also how they find MS. Your friend might want to check with the doctor about that if it hasn't been mentioned. I'm not trying to be a doctor but only offering some things for your friend to pursue for her own peace of mind. You'll both be in my prayers.

Bunny - You are doing so great with the exercise and your body is really responding. Good for you for the two pounds too. My two cents (which is worth only about 1/2 cent!) on the goals: I find I'm more successful and rewarded when I set goals to do the things that will get me to the number I want. It never fails that when I set the "magic number" (even if its only 3 pounds), I gain or don't accomplish it. But when I write down what I already know has to happen for me to lose those three pounds and drive towards that, I get my reward and then some. So having said that, I should get my butt in gear!!

Linda - You've been a busy baker! It all sounds delicious. Hang in there. It is so frustrating when the body doesn't respond the way we think it should or even just the way we want it too. But it will. We all know that, but when its happening to us its so hard not to be frustrated. Just keep thinking of all the great things you're doing for yourself and how much bingeing won't help.

Everyone else, hope you're doing okay. I am going to work on some paperwork then roust DH out of bed. Have a great Saturday!
Old 11-18-2001, 01:23 PM   #21  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

It's a lovely Sunday afternoon here in central N.Y. state. Everyone has left for holidays away and they left 11/12th's of a fantastic walnut danish ring pastry out on the kitchen table. I drooled all morning then forced myself to do the unspeakable. I CUT IT INTO LITTLE PIECES and put it out for the squirrels and birds. I thought of freezing but I know that sometimes I can't convince myself that frozen means "inedible" so I knew I had to get it out of the house or I would probably sit there and eat the WHOLE THING. This might just send a few of our squirrels over the edge. They are so fat now they can bearly fit through the links in the fence.

A challenge met and won!

TERRI: Enjoy that vacation. You deserve it! Remember to watch out for "food traps". They were a problem for me when I was off a couple of weeks ago.

LILAC: Glad your back on track. You should see success soon on the scales!

BUNNY: YAHOO for you
-2 lbs. - you are doing fantastic! Stick with your holiday min-goal idea. Just remember that it's not the end if you miss it by a few lbs. I really like your plan to just move it out to the next holiday if you have a problem. GREAT PLANNING!

In the other group I follow we have a New Year's Challenge that was begun in July. At that time I must have weighed around 305 because I ambitiously set my goal for 50 lbs., or to weigh 255, by the New Year. As time passed I realized that meeting such a large goal probably isn't feasible. I haven't changed it but I know I'll be really happy, and very successful if I get to 260. That alone is something to be proud of so I'll just keep plugging along and see what happens.

LINDA: OMG you baked all those pies and didn't fall prey to the "tasting gnome". (I made him up. He's a mean little guy who says "Ah, just try it, a taste here and there won't hurt you". Yeah ... sure!) GOOD FOR YOU!!!
You mentioned sticking to the lower end of your point range to help you lose faster. I'd try eating at the high end. I usually lose more if my body is a bit farther away from it's starvation mode. That's just beyond the low end of my range for me.

You all have a great OP week and a reminder to those of us in the U.S. to wear tight slacks to the Thanksgiving table on Thursday. That way there will be less room to fit desserts into.
Old 11-19-2001, 09:04 AM   #22  

no more posts here! go to the new thread!!
Closed Thread