Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2001, 06:54 PM   #16  
Slimwithin

Gobbie this has been said before and may sound trite, but the most difficult part of any journey is taking that first step. Well, you've already taken the first step by joining WW but, as you already know and most of us can testify, sometimes we don't start our journey fully committed. Even those of us who are committed have those off days (weeks, months) when we just can't seem to get our acts together. It makes it even more difficult if you hate what you see in the mirror and even moving from bed to couch is a major effort. We tend to get down on ourselves, feel blue, then eat to try to make ourselves feel better. I've been that route and I didn't like myself very much at the time. How can you be positive and upbeat when you're feeling guilty, ugly, unloveable, and exhausted all the time? It takes a lot more than just joining WW but you have to do it one baby step at a time.
I'm sure there are other gals here who have a much better grasp on how to get and stay motivated but it seems to me a lot of self-talk is part of it. I jabber away at myself all day. "Yes, you are WORTH IT, GIRL" is one of my main harangues. "Looking GOOD" is another (no matter what that mirror might be saying to me). "NO, you do NOT want another helping" is a biggy too.
Clear your fridge and cupboards of all your tempting snack foods. Check out the recipes in one of the WW cookbooks (or right here) and make out a shopping list for a week of groceries. Make sure you have lots of WW friendly snacks on hand and lots of fresh vegetables.
Start a fitness program. Now I realize that with 150 lb to lose, you're not going to feel much like jazzersize classes. You probably think you wouldn't dare set foot in a swimming pool either but if you do get up the courage, there's no better way to get started in fitness. Your fat makes you more bouyant and if you just bob from one end of the pool to the other keeping those arms and legs churning, you can burn quite a few calories and not feel any joint pain. If you're not ready for that yet, how about joining me doing some weight lifting? Pick up the latest edition of Prevention magazine where it has a starter program for 8 minutes a day to fitness. You don't even have to invest in weights, just use a couple of soup cans to start with. Muscle burns calories faster than fat so it's a step in the right direction.
Talk to other people who are trying to lose weight. Don't be shy at those WW meetings. Let others know that you need help and inspiration. Let them share their tips with you. Keep coming to this site for support, friendship and inspiration.
I have over 100 pounds to lose too. You're not alone here. We're all struggling against the same demons. When a person is as overweight as we are, it has to be more than vanity driving us to succeed. Sure, it would be nice to fit into normal sized clothing and look sexy, etc. But, I'm in a battle for a longer, healthier life. I'm willing to make small sacrifices to attain my goal. And, believe it or not, with the WW plan, you don't have to make all that many sacrifices. At the present time I'm permitted 29 to 34 points per day. I rarely get hungry because the food I'm eating is filling and nourishing me. It's not empty calories but the kind of food that makes my skin clearer, my eyes brighter, my hair silkier, my bones stronger and, hopefully, my life longer.
You know as well as I do that you could eat donuts, chocolate bars and pizza all day and never really feel full. The more of that stuff you eat, the more you want. It's possible that you, like myself, are a carbohydrate addict. I'm also a Type II Diabetic so I really have to watch my sugar intake. When I eat too much of sugary foods, it creates irresistable cravings for more, more and MORE of the same. My blood sugar goes sky high for a brief time and then crashes so suddenly that I get clammy, dizzy and shaky. It's a very scary feeling. What makes those feelings go away? Sugar...the worst thing for me. So, to prevent those attacks, I'm better off sticking to basics. That means whole grain bread, quality protein, lots of low carb veggies and less fruit than most people can eat. I also try to avoid those so called "Low Fat" commercial products because while they may be low in fat, they are usually loaded with sugar to make them taste good.
I hope you don't think I'm trying to force you to do what I'm doing. You may have a way that works better for you and I hope you find it. Do you think it would help if each of us posted our daily menus for you along with their points values? Sometimes we do this and I find it very inspiring to see what other folks choose for their meals.
Oh, and last but not least, a warm welcome to you. I look forward to hearing how you're doing.
LindaBC
Old 10-31-2001, 06:41 AM   #17  

Default Phew! I am inspired

Well, Linda, I dont know about Gobbie (Merridy?) but I am inspired!! I read your post and it completely lifted my flagging spirits! Direct, clear and inspirational. Thank you so much.

I have been wavering a bit in the last few days, for no reason I can really pinpoint. I lost half a pound this week, but got home from weight watchers and ate three weight watchers chocolate bars! At least my binges are now on WW food!! . I suppose it could have been a lot worse, but what I noticed was that I was standing in front of the open door of the fridge putting slices of ham and chicken wings (well, wing - but that is plus skin) in to my mouth - then the three choc bars, still standing there. First time since I started this journey that I have done that.

Well, reading your post has reminded me of all the basics. I have made my shopping list for the week and planned my meals and got some prawns out of the freezer for tomorrow's lunch.

Merridy, my tips are not so different from Linda's. Journal journal journal. It really does make a difference. And especially journal when you are having an off day and overeating, because it stops it getting hopeless. Plan your meals and be easy on yourself with it - by which I mean if you are having a busy and stressed time, fill your fridge with easy to cook low fat ready meals, and when you are having more time then plan to cook up a new recipe. I love to cook - sometimes I think I live to cook but this week I am having trouble being bothered with anything - I feel a bit down and low energy and wanting to be thin NOW not in two years So you know what I am doing? I am not going to cook, because I cant be bothered. No one is telling me I have to . I am instead going to buy some low fat diet ready meals, and that is what I and my long suffering housemate will get this week. I will also get some bags of salad leaves and some veggies (maybe even ready cut ones - ). I will have those with the ready meals if I can be bothered. And by next week I am sure I will be back to my normal excitement about trying out new and cooking up old and loved recipes. So what am I saying.......I think I am saying make it work for you .

I know how disappointing it is to not look in photos the way you want to look. But you know - you are beautiful, worthy and enough just the way you are. And you are a mother! You have given birth to and nurtured this wonderful son of yours - out of your wonderful, bountiful body! Be proud of that. We women have fat on us for a very good reason.

And of course there are very good reasons to take the fat off too -or at least some of it. And there are very very good reasons to take a really long hard look at what we put in our mouths and think 'is that really how I want to nourish myself?' You know Merridy (and Linda, and Pawley's Girl, and Bunny, and J-ann, and Mom4 and Terri and Sherry and Geri and Melissa - and all the rest of you/us out there and especially me) we are so worth all the love and nourishment and commitment and nurture we can give ourselves.

And I love the idea of posting up here our daily menus. Here is mine for today (its not quite all ready meals... I have to cook myself something....!)
Breakfast: Porridge (2pts) with soya milk (1pt) and banana chopped up in (1.5pts) and cinnamon (0pts). lots of black coffee.
Snack: WW mint choc bar (1.5)
Lunch: Sainsbury's Diet ready meal Ocean Pie (4pts), with brocalli (0pts) frozen peas (2pts), and fat free yoghurt (0pts) with honey (1pt)
Snack: apple (.5pts) and another WW bar (1.5pts)
Dinner :large bit of salmon from freezer (5pts) 3tbsps boiled rice (3pts) and mayonaisse lf 1T (1pt).
Total 24 pts

Love to everyone (and Pawley's girl - I am now thinking I might have to go and jump in to a pool!!!)
lilac
Old 10-31-2001, 06:58 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default Happy Halloween!!

Good morning ladies!

I only have time for a quick post. I made the most fabulous chicken tortilla soup last night. I started with the recipe I got from the recipe board and improvised and it was great. And I calculated it to be only 2 points per cup. So I'll get it all typed up so I can post it. I felt great to finally get to cook and cook something I wanted. DH even liked it.

I've had two great OP days. It certainly does feel satisfying to the soul to be back in control.

Merridy - You can do this. It will be a long struggle with ups and downs. But if you give up where will you be? I recently got remotivated by sitting down and starting a journal. Think about your triggers that make you go off program. Where are you weak points. How bad to you really want this? Then make a daily plan of all the good things you're going to do for yourself each day. Put the scale away if you have to; ask your leader not to tell you the numbers. Journal what you ate and all the healthy things you did for youself that day. Soon you will see that you are changing your life for the better and that it isn't all just tied to the number on the scale. Linda has done a great job in her post. We all feel your struggle and are here to help. One step, one day, one meal at a time.

Everyone else - I've read the posts and you're all fabulous friends. Wish me luck tonight. MIL wants us to have a family dinner at our favorite fried chicken place - mashed potatoes, gravy, homemade dinner and cinnamon rolls will be in my face. I asked DH to remind me I'm eating the lemon grilled chicken with rice and that I have to have determined ahead of time if I have points for the roll.

Take care and love to all!
Old 10-31-2001, 08:25 AM   #19  

First things first - my kid and me in our costumes!

I think we look marvelous!

Menus are hard for me -- I feel all embarassed by how badly I eat nutritionally even while staying in my points but here goes...

Breakfast:
Slimfast bar -- cruncies and caramel -- 2 pt
No sugar added popcicle -- 1/2 pt.

Lunch:
1/2 ABC Roast Beef with sprouts, lettuce, pepper -- 4.5 pt
ABC French Onion Soup with cheese -- 4 pt
ABC Eclair -- 3 pt
Diet soda -- 0 pt

Snacks:
No sugar added ice cream bar -- 2 pt
3 cups airpopped popcorn -- 1 pt
24 Wheat Thin Crisps -- 3 pt

Dinner:
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie -- 6 pt
Corn on the cob -- 1 pt

TOTAL: 27 pt (which is my goal!) I'll vary the snacks if I find something more interesting at the grocery store... and I drink lots and lots of water all day long. I'll also be exercising today which means 50 minutes on the treadmill (4 pts) and I'll probably eat a Slimfast bar (2 pts) after that.

Love the advice here -- you folks are the best for keeping me on track! Company comes today -- so that matters, ya know?
Old 10-31-2001, 10:49 PM   #20  

Angry Wow!

I just got back from my WW meeting and it is amazing how great everyone is to each other on here. The posts were all so helpful and encouraging.

When I read Merridy's post I thought to myself, I was just at a point on my journey where I wasn't motivated. For 3 weeks I did not journal consistently and was in a funk. I thought to myself after reading the post that I got through those weeks and am mostly back on track, but I didn't know what advice I had to offer, how did I get through it? Then I continued to read and think about it. "I Forgave Myself" I realized I had some bads days in there but I kept starting the next day new, saying I would journal that day, keep track of my points and exercise. I would get aggravated with myself in the evening or the next morning when I thought about the fact that I did not journal and went over my points. But I wouldn't let that affect that current day. Each day is a learning experience for me, and it is for everyone. What works for one person may not work for another, but it is the sharing of ideas that helps us to succeed.

I am now reaching a milestone for me. I have dieted on and off for several years but I never stuck with it. First off, this is the longest I have stuck with a program and that makes me proud. I also am only half a pound from one of the goals I set for myself. The first major thing I wanted was to lose 10% and then to lose a total of 50 pounds. When I started I couldn't see myself getting to this point, but now that I am here I am so proud of myself. I still have a long journey ahead of me, but by setting mini goals I made the program work for me. Find one thing that you think will help you and try to do it. I decided I wanted to journal, and that helped me get back on track. Set a goal for yourself of adding extra movement to your day even if only walking the stairs an extra time, or making it to your next meeting.

I hope I didn't sound too preachy in this post. I just felt really good after reading everyone else's posts and I wanted to say that we can all help each and offer advice that has helped me. Good luck to all and have a good night!!

Melissa
Old 11-01-2001, 01:36 AM   #21  
Slimwithin

Default I forgot to mention

Journal....Journal......JOURNAL!!! Thanks for reminding me. It's one of the most important things I do to stay OP and I do it faithfully. Sometimes I fill in the day in advance and stick to it. Sometimes, Life intervenes and I have to make adjustments. Sometimes I journal one meal at a time and some days I seem to be writing constantly as I nibble my way through the day, but I always, ALWAYS write down EVERY SINGLE THING I eat. I just can't stress enough how important it is to me.
By the way, today I'm celebrating a minor victory but it's a big one to me. I've been going to the pool more or less three times a week for several years. I do my own version of aquafit and I'm gradually swimming more lengths as well. The pool I go to is on the lower floor of a rec center and up until early September I took the elevator, both up and down. Then, I began to take the stairs, using the railing to help hoist myself up the steps and stopping every few steps to catch my breath. Well, today I climbed all 16 steps without even touching the hand rail AND without stopping to catch my breath. I was gasping when I reached the top but I did make it. Ta DAAA!
I just kept telling myself "One step at a time". And that's how I have to look at this whole weight loss program. One step at a time.
Now for today's menus. It may seem as if I eat a lot but don't forget, my points range is 29 to 34 and if I've done an hour workout at the pool, I get to use extra points. I don't always but sometimes I really need them.
Breakfast (before swimming)
1 cup oatmeal mixed with 1/2 chopped apple, 1 tsp raisins, & cinnamon
with 1/2 cup 2% milk
After swimming
2 lite bread (grainy type) toasted
2 tbsp lite cream cheese
2 tsp jelly
other half apple
TOTAL 8 points

Lunch
Home made veggie soup
2 bread
2 slices lite processed cheese
1 oz ham
(grilled cheese sandwich using Pam)
1 tiny Snickers bar (I couldn't resist)
1/2 cup yogurt
TOTAL 10 points

Dinner
4 oz roast chicken
1/4 cup gravy with mushrooms
1/2 cup peas & carrots
1/2 cup mashed potatoes
Mixed salad
TOTAL 7.5

Dessert
Strawberry/raspberry Trifle made with angel food cake, diet white chocolate pudding and light Cool Whip and berries.
3 Points
Total for day 28.5 points
Old 11-01-2001, 06:33 AM   #22  

LindaBC -- WOW! What a great milestone!!! Wah-hooooooo!

(I only had time for a short post and getting all the way up the stairs without holding the railing and without stopping seemed like what needed commenting! BRAVO!!!!)
Old 11-01-2001, 06:42 AM   #23  

Default Chicken tortilla soup recipe

This is a recipe I had gotten off a taco soup thread a while back. I modified it by adding onion and spicier ingredients.

2 chicken breasts - boiled and chopped into bite size pieces
1 onion, cut into bite size pieces
garlic, fresh and chopped
1 can jalepeno diced tomatoes
1 can pinto beans, drained
1 can mexicorn, drained
1 can chopped green chilies
chicken broth - recipe says 4 cups but I used one can Swanson's FF plus water
1/2 cup salsa - except by accident I ended up with most of a medium size jar of medium Pace picante
FF tortillas

With just a smidge of olive oil, I sauted the garlic and onion for a few minutes. Then tossed in the chicken pieces to saute for a few minutes as well to absorb the garlic and onion flavor. Reduce heat, add tomatoes with juice, beans, corn, chilies, chicken broth and salsa. Simmer for about 45 mins to let the flavors blend.

Spray a tortilla with Pam (garlic Pam is good) on both sides. Cut into wedges. Sprinkle each side with mexican seasonings. Bake at 425 until desired degree of crispiness. When serving the soup, tear up a few pieces of the tortilla and put in the soup. Eat the rest in place of crackers.

I calculated the whole recipe and measured serving sizes to come up with 2 WW points per cup. Add the additional points for the number of tortilla's you eat. You can mix and match the ingredients as you want; make it more spicy or less. You can make it less soupy or more. Adjust points according to the ingredients you use.
Old 11-01-2001, 06:49 AM   #24  

Good morning,

I just wanted to say that I really like the idea of posting our food plans for the day. One it helps someone else get ideas of what they can eat and two, it makes us think more about our food choices ahead of time.

Here's a rough list of mine for the day.

Breakfast: - pkg oatmeal, 1 banana 1 8 oz milk

Lunch: WW frozen dinner (5-6 pts); veggies from salad bar

Snacks as needed: yogurt and apple

Dinner: Ham salad (lean ham), wow tostitos and salsa

I don't have all the points mapped out yet. Its too early in the morning to think that clearly but hey, this is a start.

OH, I'm so proud of myself for last night at dinner. Everyone else was having huge plates of fried chicken and mashed potatoes and gravy. I had lemon-garlic chicken on a bed of rice (very little rice), plain baked potatoes and green beans. Two small dinner rolls. I haven't counted everything out yet and may end up over a couple of points but I'm figure that its much better than if I'd had the fried stuff.

got to run, the dog is whining to go outside.

Have a great OP day ladies.
Old 11-01-2001, 02:08 PM   #25  

Default Evening everyone!

Well, Linda that is brilliant about the steps at the pool! I had one today too....I did my shopping at the supermarket and as I was finishing I realised that i was not tired, and normally I would be all achey feet by the time I got to the coffee aisle . I love the little things like that.

Thanks for the soup recipe Terri. I tend to not much like very chili type spicey food (or rather it does not like me ), but I could make it less spicy. I love tortillas and mexican type food, although I am a sucker for the sour cream and guacamole .....

Melissa, that self forgiveness thing is so important isnt it? I think it is one of the gifts of this process for me, that I get to just keep on forgiving myself, so even if I dont lose weight I am becoming more soft hearted towards me and actually I am losing too . Cool.

Today's food.
breakfast was one bagel with cream cheese (lf) and jam.
Lunch was home made leek and potato soup
Dinner is salt and pepper prawns with rice and plum sauce (I just put what I had in the fridge in a bowl.......... )
Snacks today were WW chocolate bars (2). It adds up to about 19 points, which is under for me, but I think I am going to have a couple of glasses of wine, and maybe a yoghurt, and then save the rest of the points for Sunday when i have company (again) and am cooking most of a small sheep to feed them..... along with all the trimmings and PUDDING

love to all
lilac
Old 11-01-2001, 04:15 PM   #26  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

OMG ladies. You're all putting me to shame with your daily posts, great recipes and inspirations! I'm going tohaveto try to post more often too. IT HELPS, like journaling does, to keep me on the stright and narrow.

Went to WI last night. Stayed the same. I'm not surprised. Between the evil treats and my usual slow losses after a decent drop.I wasn't due to see much of a loss. The candy's gone and I'm back to carrying my journal in my pocket so I remember to write every little thing down.
I'm going to get a turkey breast roast to cook up tomorrow and it will give me plenty of meat for lunches and dinners over the next few days. Everyone else in the house is away for the weekend. That means no exotic dinners, that can be challenging. There greens in the fridge and I can do up some calliflower, and probably a rice and be all set!

I'm off work next week so plan to hang around home and get some chores done and maybe take a trip to the wineries, in the Finger Lakes, with some friends. I'll opt to be the designated driver so I can stay way from too much wine. We pack a lunch so I should be able to stay OP without too much trouble.

Today's menu has been/will be:

Breakfast: 1C. OJ, Eng. Muffin w/ 2 tsp. peanut butter. (6 pts.)

Lunch: WW Frozen Turkey dinner. (5pts)

Dinner: Grlled chicken breast, salad w/ lo fat dressing and some raisins tossed in, dinner roll, and a cooked veggie of some sort. (12 pts)

Snacks: Popcorn w/real butter (Cause I need to use up my points!) 5 pts.

I'm so far behind I can't do personal answers but I'm going to try to catch up and post every day or so.

You guy's keep on doin' what you're doin' because we know IT WORKS!
Old 11-02-2001, 08:16 AM   #27  

Default New Thread!

Starting a new thread! Don't post here.
Closed Thread