Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2001, 09:32 AM   #1  

Default Thin4Life - October 15, 2001

Good morning and welcome to a new week.

I'm feeling rather out of the loop, having been flattened last week by a nasty flu bug. It started with aching muscles, nausea and dizziness and has turned into a disgusting sinus cold which prevented me from sleeping all weekend. On top of that, we have visitors - sister-in-law and her daughter (who is eight months pregnant). Their car broke down on the way to Halifax and we had to drive about 80 kilometres to pick them up yesterday. DH will likely have to drive them back once the repairs are complete. And he is scheduled for a colonoscopy (sp.?) on Wedneday!!

My eating wasn't bad until the weekend, when I picked up some Hallowe'en treats intending to put them away til the end of the month. I can see where that just isn't going to work. Tiny chocolate bars have been calling my name ever since

What's everyone up to this week?
Old 10-15-2001, 11:23 AM   #2  

Good morning Seasaw and everyone else!

Had a pretty nice weekend - Friday was gorgeous out & DH, DD & I went out for supper for my birthday. Saturday my brother & his wife came for a visit. DH & DD bought me one of the Personal Digital Assistants (PDA) for my birthday - I was so surprised that DH thought "outside the jewelry box" for a gift for me this year. I really like it, but haven't quite made up my mind if it is something I would really use a lot or not. I've got a couple of weeks to test it out.

Eating was over the usual amount on account of the birthday, plus had several glasses of wine over the weekend that I don't normally have, but according to my home scale, it didn't seem to hurt me. I always try to keep up with the exercise.

Seasaw - sorry to hear you're under the weather - I hate being sick on the weekends. Laurel just had an colonoscopy - hope hubby isn't too uncomfortable with the procedure. I bought my Halloween treats a couple weeks ago, but for some reason, if I keep them out of sight, they are usually out of mind & I don't bother with them (cross my fingers!)

Catch you guys later,
Old 10-15-2001, 01:26 PM   #3  
LM

Hello!

yup seasaw your hubby can join the colonoscopy club. The place I went to had you completely asleep for the whole thing. The bad part was the disgusting purgative stuff you have to drink the night before and the horrible dehydration headache the next day. That was my experience anyway. Most of all was the anxiety. Hope it all goes well for DH.

Had a nice weekend which included a trip to a Turkish restaurant. Good food. Great bread. Need I say more? I think restaurants have been my greatest challenge since reaching lifetime. During the loss phase, I was pretty miserable in restaurants, but at least I controlled myself. Now, the sky's the limit. Good thing we don't go out that often...

Beautiful fall weather these days. Hope everyone's okay.
Old 10-15-2001, 01:34 PM   #4  
si, si signora

Hi all-

Gosh, seesaw, I hope are on the mend. I understand all that you have gone through this weekend. My sympathies on the houseguests, I just got rid of two this morning. I really hope they made their flight.

so, what is with the colonoscopies? I am taking a friend to hers tomorrow. I am thinking good thoughts for all of you.

Spent most of the weekend avoiding ingrate houseguest and obnoxious dog. Did a bunch of garden stuff, errands, worked and spent yesterday morning driving south to pick up DP from her geomorph field class. We then visited the olympia farmer's market, which was excellent. Got home in time to start cooking up the first 15 lbs or more of tomatoes. Tonight, canning begins. Only another 17 lbs to go!!!!!

So, I think my yesterday was not so good, but the rest of the week was and still will be, so hopefully I'll see a loss on the scales.

Take care all.

lala
Old 10-16-2001, 07:45 AM   #5  

Despite your much-appreciated get well wishes, this bug persists. This morning, along with the sinus congestion which just won't quit, it's an upset stomach and continuing headache. If I didn't have an urgent deadline, I would have stayed in bed. But then again, since the houseguests are still around, that probably wouldn't have worked out either.

I believe the car repairs will be complete today, but just as this batch heads out the door, there are rumblings that my father-in-law is coming to town. DH informed him about tomorrow's test and that he is staying close to home and, more specifically, the bathroom, but this man seldom listens. We'll see what tonite brings...

Laurel: This test is more preventative than anything else. There is a family history, so both DH and his sister were advised to be tested. I'll have to warn him about the potential headache. Were you allowed to drink water and, if so, do you think it would help if he drank lots?

lala: I see the harvest continues at your house. I so admire your energy (especially since I have had none for over a week). Are you doing salsa or sauce or anything?

katie: What a great gift! I purchased a PDA in February and it now contains my whole life. There are all kinds of neat applications. I purchased something called BankBook several months ago and it is the best. I now have an accurate picture of everything (credit card balances, line of credit, savings, etc. ) at my fingertips. That can be a good thing, but it can be a bad thing too I've downloaded a few books from peanutpress.com and while it was convenient for the commute to and from work, I still prefer to read the "old-fashioned" way. Anyway, I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Due to illness and a previous bout of laziness, I haven't run in almost two weeks. It won't be pretty when I finally do get out, but I'm determined to do so at the first sign of things returning to normal.

Good day all.
Old 10-16-2001, 12:56 PM   #6  
si, si signora

Hi all-

Gosh, it was so nice earlier and now its grey and damp. Good thing I decided not to hang laundry
on the line!

kt: Good present you received. I would love a PDA. There are tons of great WW tracking programs and calendars to download. I would love one on plane rides. I could play tetris for hours.

Seesaw: sorry you are still not feeling very well. I hope FIL doesn't show up this week. The colonscopy takes alot of out you (no pun intended) and you and DH need your rest.

Canning is getting there. I reduced down the sauce last night and tonight I'll can it up. I made salsa already so tonight its just tomato sauce for
a myriad of dishes.

DP is going to take a stab at cleaning out the freezer tonight. yikes. Its really quite something. Hopefully, we will get rid of some unidentified meat objects in the process. We are getting a half a lamb this week (did i tell you how much I hate lamb?) and no room for it.

So, wish us luck. Gotta get cracking. Have a demo I haven't even worked on in months to get ready for next week.

lala
Old 10-16-2001, 01:31 PM   #7  
LM

seasaw I assume they've given DH very specific instructions about the "bowel prep" which begins the day before with clear liquids all day and the repellent purgative at night. Then I was instructed to fast (no water) after midnight if it was a morning appointment, but since I had an afternoon appointment I was allowed clear liquids up til 10 a.m., I think. I did drink lots but still had the headache which we attributed to dehydration (from the purge the night before). Also I was scared as anything since this was diagnostic. But, each place may have their own rules about the prep. I think you just have to grin and bear it. The good news is you get to eat right away post-scope.

kt I'm still trying to get my DH to think "inside the jewelry box". This birthday I got sweat socks and t-shirts, honest!

lala I don't envy you your half-lamb, not being a lamb lover. But I'll take your extra squeakers and crocatinis!

Okay, in the spirit of letting it alllll out, my latest health thingie is pesky high blood pressure. Darn thing won't come down. It's always been a little borderline, but I didn't want to face low sodium diet and just basically went into denial. Then WW came along and I thought the wt loss would deal with the BP, but no. Now after several checks it's still a little highish, so went to Dr. yesterday. He is a lovely family doctor, not a radical type. We are going to moderate sodium intake (wah! ) and take the BP twice a day for a month and see him again. I love salt. I love salt. I love salt. But trying to be a big girl and get over it. Meanwhile, how middle-aged do I feel????
Old 10-16-2001, 02:01 PM   #8  

Good afternoon, ladies!

Grey, cool & dreary here today - I am longing for a warm sunshiney day from last week.

LM - don't get me wrong, DH knows I like jewelry, but sometimes I wish he'd put a little more thought into his gift-giving. He would never attempt to buy me clothes - too much guess work on his part. BTW, what does your doctor consider a "borderline" high blood pressure? My dad had high blood pressure - it's nothing to fool around with. Mine has always been on the low side luckily. I am not a salt-lover either - DH loves it.

lala - I think our freezer needs a cleaning, too. I've noticed some water dripping from a vent on the top of the inside of the fridge - last time it happened, DH had to kind take apart the freezer & defrost something out so the dripping would stop.

I will have to get at seeing what this PDA can do - tetris, huh? Maybe word whomp??

Later,
Old 10-17-2001, 01:35 PM   #9  
LM

hello to humpday:

kt the bp in running around 130/90 or so. Now I'm taking it twice a day for a month (at local Wegman's, fortunately resisting all the good smells that they pump out of that place - too expensive anyway) and reducing salt/sodium intake. Then we'll see what it looks like after a month.

eddie has taken to meowing loudly at 2:30 a.m. and sitting on Mother. why eddie, why???? Mother (that would be me) is now very tired.

otherwise no news here.

Hope seasaw is feeling better and her dh is over with his test!
Old 10-17-2001, 01:44 PM   #10  
si, si signora

Hi ya ladies,

Its a stressful day around here as I noted in my food journal today. However, DP just got a phone call from someone else who is interested in hiring her, especially since she loves going to sea too. I'm hoping one of the two jobs works out and she is outta here. Her position is getting carved away as her new boss decides that scientific support is not necessary in a scientific research lab. What a doofus.

Perhaps, its because she is the only woman in a group full of men? hmmm.

So, got about 4 hours of sleep last night and didn't make it to the gym this am. Tonight, I suppose, but it seems that my schedule goes from 7:00 to 11:00 pm pretty much non-stop. I am tired and I don't understand survivor, so the tv monitors at the gym hold no excitement for me.

Anyways, wearing yet another pair of jeans today, better fitting, but still I wish to be swimming in them. I have a goal of fitting into my size 6 eddie bauer classic fits by dec. 1. I'd like to hold to that.

Okay, I'm droning, but just a bit anxious.

So, if seesaw is around= I have a hunk of luneburg pudding/sausage that I just took out of my freezer. How do I prepare it?

Laurel: try reducing your sodium, hopefully that will work. I know that is my downfall.

kt: I would love in DP would think that jewelry was an appropriate present. I wouldn't mind seeing a few blue boxes from tiffany's or shreves... sigh. I'm lucky if I see one piece and I have to be specific every two years.

Okay, off to get my presentation started.

lala
Old 10-17-2001, 03:29 PM   #11  
LM

lala - sounds yuckily stressful. As someone who's sig other is still job-searching, I can completely sympathize! P.S. The NYTimes want ad section was about 4 pages long last week. Utterly pathetic. Normally it's 4 thick sections...

On the jewelry question, I don't even have a blinkety-blinking diamond wedding/engagement ring (19 years coming up next month...) I just tried on a friend's rings, you know...they didn't look half bad, even with my stubby fingers. Oh well, it ain't gonna happen, not this year, not next year, not never. He just doesn't "believe" in it...plain gold band, girls, that is all. Marilyn would be so disappointed. I guess you can see I'm not over it either... Now I'm feeling soooo sorry for myself!!!! Should I drown my sorrows in some dried pineapple? Hmmm, actually don't have the munchies today, so will try to hold out.
Old 10-17-2001, 04:02 PM   #12  
si, si signora

Oh Poor Laurel,
All that time in India and you did not partake in all that jewellry?

My mom always said that I should marry and iranian-indian (they exist) for three reasons and I think she had someone in mind...

1. they are usually vegetarians (i was then)
2. you get to go home once a year to see the family (this is not always good)
3. and you get good jewellry - persian dowries and wedding gifts are to die for.

I am not jewellry poor by any stretch of the imagination, but I have a strong desire for more . I'm not talking big and ostentatious (that's my mom's job), but classic and well, reserved.

Isn't your DH going back to school in graphic arts? Its a hard market out there. I am applying for all sorts of funding to make my position last another year or two, then I'm outta here.

Update: DP's review went well. She even got an apology about the snafu about returning to grad school. Maybe tonight sleep will happen.

re: eddie, I don't know what is up with our geriatric cats. Ours sleeps downstairs on her
heated orthopedic cat bed with a feather bed and a view of a bird feeder. sheesh. She still comes all the way upstairs once a night to tell me how hungry she is. sigh. go figure.

okay, gotta get back to my slides. boring stuff
powerpoint.

la
al
la
Old 10-17-2001, 04:13 PM   #13  
LM

as you can see, not wanting to work this afternoon...

maybe they give good jewelry in India, but I'm married to a cheapskate/poor Italian. I think I should just buy myself something nice...I don't know...it's not the same. My mother always told to marry a rich doctor. Oh well, strike two...

Now, Edward might like that heated bed. Instead he just sleeps on top of the humans who generate some body heat, plus the added attraction of squeaking and groaning when hard kitty paws go into tender portions of anatomy.

Glad to hear things went well with DP.

I guess everyone else is conscientiously working hard. I guess I could manage to get back to work for 15 minutes before flying the coop.
Old 10-18-2001, 08:49 AM   #14  

Okay, okay, so maybe I sounded a little ungrateful about the gifts of jewelry - I just meant that I wanted DH to sometimes not always go for the obvious or "I-can't-think-of-anything-else-to-buy-me-situation."

Laurel - I do have a decent-sized diamond engagement ring, so I can't complain. I have thought of just getting a plain wedding band to wear for a change. Just because DH doesn't believe in diamonds, doesn't mean you don't have to.....

lala - good to hear DP's review went well.

In other news, I gained last night - up to 143.4 - another yo-yo up for me. Not surprising after I look at my point totals from last week.

Where's Melissa been??? Or AustinGal for that matter?

Later,
Old 10-18-2001, 10:54 AM   #15  
LM

I guess some people are working hard, whereas others (me) are looking for any excuse to goof off...

I just don't think buying myself a wedding ring would be quite the thing. I mean, how pathetic is that??? I could buy myself something else, I dunno. Still feeling sorry for myself. Last year, I was feeling sorry for myself because damn hubby never sent me flowers at work. Finally got him to do it a few times. never roses (told you, he's a cheapskate) but a couple of vases of flowers I could show off at the office. I don't think he can cross the great divide into diamonds for his beloved wife. I grew up with ladies who wore skating rinks on their fingers. And wouldn't you know it, my deceased MIL's wedding ring is a totally flawed diamond. I can see it with my naked eye. So not very pretty for wearing.

meanwhile, can I get a little perspective? I know it's not important at all, but I am giving into a little pettiness. Please forgive...I'm not entirely serious.

What else? Adventures in low sodium land have been a little dismal. I have a sneaking suspicion that my BP fluctuations may be linked to the menstrual cycle of hormones. This morning it was actually low. Very interesting. In my usual compulsive manner, I've got a spreadsheet and graph charting morning and evening pressures and daily sodium intake!!! No wonder I have elevated BP.

KT Sorry to hear about the yo-yo. So frustrating. You have to wonder if the bod is trying to tell you that it likes where it's at. On the other hand, will persistence pay off in the long run with a sudden weight-packet drop??
Closed Thread