3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight and Resistance Training (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training-80/)
-   -   Question regarding starting weightlifting (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training/72888-question-regarding-starting-weightlifting.html)

Enterprise 01-14-2006 08:35 PM

Question regarding starting weightlifting

I'm new to exercise. I know that cardio can be started as soon as you begin your diet plan (whatever it might be). I will be taking a 30 minute walk daily outside (weather permitting) or do my WATP video inside on bad weather days, beginning tomorrow. When should one start weightlifting? Right away or later on?

Mel 01-14-2006 08:59 PM

I would start right now. There is a lot of info in the stickies at the top of the forum that you might want to look at. Take a peek at the "getting started" thread :)

Mel

srmb60 01-14-2006 11:29 PM

Also, this site www.stumptuous.com has great advice for beginners.

silverbirch 01-15-2006 06:06 AM

Hullo Enterprise and welcome!

Start now! It's so much fun, you'll see results and .... :crossed: you won't look back!

Good luck!

Firmgirl 01-15-2006 10:49 AM

Start now. If you lift weights in addition to cardio, you will see results and watch your body transform.

3fcuser1058250 01-15-2006 11:14 AM

Why wait for Spring do it now.... Weightlifting of course !! :lol:

Ready2BThinna 01-15-2006 01:53 PM

Welcome to the Family, Enterprise!

Congratulations and kudos to you for making a great decision to exercise! You've received some excellent responses to your question from folks who live a fit lifestyle. They've encouraged me when I needed it most to just get to it (I was dragging, feeling I was too old and out of shape).

I'm just starting my "official" lifting this week at a local community college. Been using free weights, and want to learn correct form and procedures. Eventually, I may want to keep it to a home exercise, but getting to weight training class twice a week is sort of like my habit of checking in here at these boards - it keeps me ACCOUNTABLE.:strong:

The WATP workouts are terrific! Armed with the 1, 2 and 3 mile walks, I no longer have an excuse to not move my body.

Glad you're here :carrot: - keep asking questions and posting.

Jean
ps: Do check out the stickies Mel referred to and the "Stumptuous" site recommended by SusanB - they're both encouraging and "uplifting" :D
Jean

Firmgirl 01-15-2006 10:18 PM

Oxgyen magazine has put out a special Fat loss issue that addresses weightlifting for beginners, so you might want to check it out also.

Enterprise 01-16-2006 01:17 PM

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I will take your advice and start NOW.
I'm going to set up something for myself at home with free weights. I find doing anything at home is better then taking the time and energy to make a 45 minute trip to the gym. I have the room at home for a good solid bench and all the free weights I want or might need as well as one of those inflated balls.
Regarding Oxygen Magazine, I have never seen it here where I live (Ontario, Canada) but I will look from time to time. Perhaps I can find it.
Thanks for the website links to the bodybuilding pages.

srmb60 01-16-2006 02:46 PM

I found Oxygen mag in a kind of upscale Zehrs in Stratford. You could try roaming the grocers :)

Firmgirl 01-16-2006 09:09 PM

You can go to their website and see if they might have a link as to retailers selling near you. it is www dot oxygenmag dot com

Enterprise 01-17-2006 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SusanB
I found Oxygen mag in a kind of upscale Zehrs in Stratford. You could try roaming the grocers :)

I'll do that, thanks! :)

PS. Zehr's must be new to Stratford. I don't recall one there when I lived in Stratford back in 1988.

srmb60 01-17-2006 09:34 AM

I do think it's fairly new. It's a huge one with a great natural food section. It's tucked in by the Zeller's mall on 8 and Ch Meier.

3fcuser1058250 01-17-2006 11:40 PM

Enterprise -- Where are you in Ontario, I live in Cornwall, relatively small and I can get the Oxygen at 7/11 or Walmart anytime, they do sell out fast though ... Actually the Oxygen issue for next month is out today, It's written on my Oxygen calendar that I got with one of the mags in December!! The Special Fat Loss edition is very very good if you can get it... Or ordering it on line is a good idea too...

Harleybabe 01-18-2006 07:55 AM

Congrats on starting to workout!

Start lifting right away

The more muscle you have the more calories you will burn each and every cardio workout!