LWL # 209 June 27 - July 3

You're on Page 3 of 3
Go to
  • Tiki - who even imagined having kids could be so entertaining Enjoy it while you can - soon he will sulk all day and spend all his time in his room or glaring at you for breathing on the same planet ...

Mel - I really want to come see you work out some day. Can we get your last one on dvd yet? I am glad you didn;t hurt yourself.

Ilene - maybe Mel makes you feel this way, but your workouts make me feel like a wuzz, too. I can't even tell you what I do except "I lift the dumbell like this and I can feel it in this thingy muscle"

On a mre postitive note, I will soon be able to tell what muscles I am workoing (like quads instead of front of the thigh) as I got my first class from NASM. I went ahead and ordered "Foundations for the Health and Fitness Professional." It was recommended as a pre-course for those without health or science background. I also figured it was a good way to try the mini-version and see if I really like it before committing to the certification program. I also got a new PC yesterday, so this is a very happy holiday weekend for me. I know longer have to initiate a "Fonzie move" every 15 minutes to keep my PC from crashing. Ahhh, technology.

Yesterday I did 10 miles in just over 2 and a half hours. I was going to do 12, but listened to my body (foot) and stopped at 5, waited for my friends to go another mile out to the turn-around point and back to me and we did the last 5 together. It was very hot and humid. I am glad next week we will start meeting at 6am instead of 7am to try to beat some of this. Oh yes, summer in DC is here.

Today I will be installing software and playing with my new PC and cleaning up for people over tomorrow. Tomorrow we have a ball game in the afternoon and will have friends back here for dinner and fireworks. I love having people over to begin with, and now with my "lifestyle changes", I really like being in control of the menu. Yes, I promise to work through some of my contol issues next

So I am going to put out fresh veggies and dill dip and cold shrimp for appetizers. Dinner is roasted salmon with chili-lime rub or roasted chicken from the local Peruvian carry-out, cabbage salad (a friend is bringing) and a wheatberry salad straight from Whole Foods. Dessert is watermelon, blueberries and peaches with angel food cake (all from the farmer's market) and melted dark chocolate. Oh, and nice bottle of rose to round it all out. I have never done so a low-key dinner party before. This is so much less stressful than what I used to do (and will never do again). If people don't like what I have they can be polite and not tell me. I love this new me!

Hope our Northern Friends had a good Independence day and Happy 4th to all Americans - EU friends, play hard and think of us!
  • How long would you expect your legs to be sore after a good workout? I did serious squats for the first time on Wednesday (2 sets of 10 with the bar only- all the way down to the floor, last set of 10 with 10#'s on the bar- thighs a little lower than parallel to the floor). It didn't seem like too much at the time but when I left the gym I started to sort of jog across the road to get out of the way of oncoming traffic and my legs almost buckled . Today, Sunday, is the first day that I can go down stairs without white knuckling the handrail. Did I do too much or is that to be expected the first few times, or everytime?

Quote:
    I haven't caught any mirror action yet, but the day is still young.
    Give him a week or two, you'll have to hide all the mirrors in the house or he won't go outside
  • Hello
    Hi LWL!
    Way to go on all your great workouts!
    Im on day42 of BFl, Im lovin it! Ive dropped lbs, lost inches, and am feeling great! I also just found out Im pregnant ...anyone know of any good books/websites/etc..for lifting during pregnancy? Last time I did light cardio, and light weights, but kinda felt I wasn't really staying in shape so did nothing the last couple months...I dont mind the gaining weight, its the starting over after!
    Have a great day!
    Karla
  • Ellen -- You can control my meals any time!! Can I come over too? That sounds soooo delish Your friends won't know what hit them... That pre-course sounds like a really good idea to make sure that you are interested in PT...

Julia -- I personally love being that sore ... It's just because it was so new to your poor legs that it's this sore, IMO... IF you are constantly sore like this though you can take Glutamine for the soreness. Make sure you stretch afterwards too...

Karla -- Congrats!! When I was pregnant I lifted almost the same till the very end. I stopped doing abs very early on though and I just listened to my body basically ...

Today no weights ran 10k then hopped on my bike and biked 20k....
  • Julia- Welcom to the club I consider my leg day somewhat of a failure if they aren't good and sore for at least 3-4 days. See Tiki's post on page 2 about her disappointment when her legs were'nt sore. When mine don't get sore, I know it's time to really change things. I usually do about 10 minutes of moderate walking on the treadmill after a leg workout. It seems to help with soreness. I also put a scoop of glutamine into one of my daily protein shakes.

Karla- If you are used to lifting, you can continue as long as you get the thumbs up from your doc. Congratulations! Basically, you don't want to go to failure, and as you get further along, you shouldn't do certain ab exercises or prone position (lying down) exercises. The most important thing is to NOT compromise the baby's blood supply. Soooo, no more hitting your "10's" BFL style. Talk to your doctor.

Ellen- The dinner sounds marvelous! Enjoy

Hi everyone and Happy Fourth tomorrow! (even if you are in Canada, it's still the fourth).

Mel