Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 09:10 AM   #1  

Question did you tell anyone about surgery??

Hi all,

I have a friend who's lost a lot of weight-I'm guessing 90-95 pounds so far on Gastric Bar surgery in about 4 1/2 months. She has not told anyone about the surgery (other than me and close family members).

Did any of you tell people you were having/had the surgery or did you keep it a "secret" too?

She is looking GREAT! people are noticing and she looks awesome!! I hear many many people ask what she's doing (because, naturally, if she is having such fast results, why not do what she does, right??)....anyway, she says she is "doing aerobics, using protein shakes, and watching portion control."

I guess I want to know if it's normal to not share with people the truth. Did you all share?

Thanks!
Old 08-30-2003, 03:50 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

it's a tough call. but the fact is that at some point, ya gotta tell people. it's absolutely not possible to lose the amounts of weight we lose in such a short time any other way. and then folks start wondering if we have cancer or some other awful disease.

sounds like your friend is just doing what's most comfortable for her. remember, everyone's been on her case forever about losing weight. it's hard to break patterns
Old 08-30-2003, 10:46 PM   #3  

I had my lap-band surgery the end of May 2003. The only person who knew I was going (to Mexico) was my husband and one of my close friends. I did not even tell my mother and sister until I returned. With the lap-band, you lose your weight at a slower pace than the other surgeries (so I am told). People have noticed that I have lost weight, but it has been so gradual (40 lbs in 3 months) that they just assume they haven't seen me in a while!!! I did tell a few more friends after the fact. I personally just felt it was a personal decision and preferred to keep it to myself. I guess a small part of me felt that some people would consider me a "failure" of sorts for having to have surgery to lose weight. There are some people out there that actually think we CHOOSE to be morbidly obese (oh how I HATE that expression)!! My girlfriend who went with me, on the other hand, tells EVERYBODY she comes in contact with. She is SO FUNNY. She tells people she DOESN'T EVEN KNOW in the line at the grocery store. I guess it is just personal choice and how comfortable you are with telling people! Whichever one chooses is A-OK!!! Have a great day!!!
Old 08-31-2003, 12:15 PM   #4  

I know that there will be some that disagree with me but that is ok.

I feel that it is terrible to lead people to believe that if you eat less and exercise you can drop 90 lbs in 5 months.

As you can probably tell I have told everyone, even strangers. We that have had WLS, know that dieting and exercise do not work. We did it for years, so we find the one thing that works and we are going to keep it a secret??? I think that is terrible. I wish that someone had told me years ago that this worked for them, then maybe Richard Simmons, Weight Watchers, and everyone else would not have gotten rich off my money.

I have spent the last 15 years looking for and trying everything. I finally found what works for me and I am telling the world.

What I do not understand is why some people are embarrassed to tell? If Weight Watchers worked for you, you would tell everyone, so why not WLS?

Ok this sounds kind of *****y and that is not how I want this to come across, but I can't figure out how else to put it. So I am sorry if this upsets anyone! I am really a nice person !

Hazel~climbing down off of my soapbox!
Old 08-31-2003, 07:20 PM   #5  

I have told only a few people. My best friend and my parents but as for others I have not told them.. I feel like a failure and when this works maybe I will tell. I know that it is a personal choice and I have failed at all others and I am still not sure that this will work as I am only 2 days post op and up 3 pound from when I went in to the hospital. I hope that it is just from all of the fluids that were pumped in to me. I don't hold a grudge against anyone how does not or does tell it is a matter of choice. Marsha
Old 08-31-2003, 09:08 PM   #6  

Marsha, don't worry about those three pounds. They are a result of the surgery and will drop off (and many more) in a matter of days.

I know what you mean about feeling that this won't work...i think I said something to that effect to Jiff just the other day.

anyway....as to telling people, my close friends know. I think that as people notice I lose weight that I will just say thank you. If they ask how I did it I will tell them the truth. I am not ashamed of it in anyway but in real life I am kind of a private person (I know, hard to believe with everything I fling out here on the boards) I do hope that I can encourage and support others through my journey though....it is nice to give back some of what I have received.

peach
Old 08-31-2003, 09:57 PM   #7  
Old Cackler

this surgery can fail, and does, but it's mostly because some folks don't follow the rules: protein, water, exercise, vitamins, no carbs.

those who do follow the rules have generally good results. those who don't, well. they have bad results. we reap what we sow/
Old 09-01-2003, 02:54 AM   #8  

I have been telling anyone and everyone that I am in the process of getting this done. I'm very open about it for a variety of reasons. For one, I'm not embarrassed about it. I'm more embarrassed about my weight as it is now, and the fact is that I'm doing something about it by having the surgery. Also, I am a Christian, and I believe whole-heartedly in the power of prayer. Therefore, I want all the prayers that I can get! LOL

I am very fortunate, though. Everyone whom I have told has responded positively, and most people have even responded enthusiastically. People seem to have a ton of questions about it, and when they see how open I am about it, they are a lot more comfortable asking their questions. WLS is a controversial topic for a lot of people, and I think that stems from a lack of information. I'm more than happy to help correct that problem!
Old 09-10-2003, 11:14 AM   #9  

Angry

Thanks, everyone for your replies. She is doing great and looks fantastic!! I just feel kinda odd when she tells everyone her success is due to protein shakes, aerobics a few times a week and portion control. I guess if people ask her how much she's lost, they'll be able to tell it is more of a drastic consumption plan.

Anyway-good luck to all of you!! I admire your strength!!
Closed Thread