Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-20-2017, 09:17 PM   #16  

S/C/G: S214/C190.0/G114

Height: 5'2"

Hello all! I will be getting Orbera placed on 2/2 and doing Ideal Protein for meals. Total goal: 85-90 pounds I'll let you know how it goes!
howdytx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:05 PM   #17  

I had my balloon placed on November 16,2017. I initially lost 10 lbs probably due to not being able to eat anything. It now just under 3 months and I have not lost any weight. I am beyond frustrated and depressed. Anyone else have this same experience? I feel like a total failure.
Kanema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 03:37 PM   #18  

Hello all! This shares my initial Orbera experience.

The procedure was not covered by my insurance (& neither is Ideal Protein). Approximate cost for procedure (including all - visits and removal of balloon): $5700 USD.

Prep:

2 weeks til placement of Orbera:

*Began taking Omeprazole 20mg twice a day for 30 days, then once daily through duration of Orbera
*Schedule off a week of work for recovery in case of severe nausea/vomiting

Scheduling a week off work was not as easy as I hoped, but will depend on what you do for a living obviously. Also, I did not tell HR why I needed a week off, because it's none of their business

Day before placement of Orbera:

*Liquid diet, nothing solid. Nothing at all after midnight.
*3-4 hours before procedure (aka 4-5am), take 1 tablet of Emend 40mg (anti-vomiting med)
*3-4 hours before procedure (aka 4-5am) apply 1 patch Transderm Scoalamine 1.5mg behind ear (anti-nausea med)

Ugh, the all liquid diet was difficult. I had to keep reminding myself not to eat solid food. Luckily, I was working a 12 hour shift so was usually too busy to worry about sitting down for a break, let alone a meal. I ended up having Soylent for breakfast/lunch/dinner, which worked out perfectly.

Placement of Orbera:

*IV of protonix (anti-stomach acid medication)
*IV propofol (that stuff Michael Jackson was addicted to) for anesthesia.

Woke up at 5 AM to take Emend & apply nausea patch. I am NOT a morning person, especially without my coffee or breakfast. The boyfriend was driving me to the surgical center (sans breakfast and coffee). Pretty sure I glared at him the whole way as he scarfed down a (admittedly gross-looking) protein bar.

Checked-in at the surgical center and got to wear the open-backed gown (anyone who has had surgery knows it well). Retained socks and underwear which was nice because cold as heck in that place, even with a blanket! Literally an hour of requisite paperwork and interview questions later (from nurse and anesthesiologist) I was finally wheeled into the operating room. I was given a lovely neon green mouth guard to keep mouth open & prevent biting staff when sedated and being scoped. As I waited for the Propofol to take effect, I had just enough time to think, "Hmm, I guess I don't have to count backwards from 100," before zonking right out.

Total time out: 15 minutes. Propofol was great-did not feel sedated at all when I woke up.
Total time in recovery room before discharged: 30 minutes. (And literally 20 of those minutes were waiting for boyfriend to get un-lost and find the parking garage to come get me.)
Total mL saline added to Orbera: 650 mL

Post-Orbera Placement meds:

*Zofran ODT 8mg (anti-nausea/vomiting med): every 4 hours for 24 hours even if no symptoms, then as needed
*Levsin SL 0.125mg (anti-stomach spasm/cramping med): every 4 hours for 24 hours even if no symptoms, then as needed
*Emend 40mg: 1 tablet the day after placement (tomorrow)
*Ativan 1mg: 1 tablet 3 times a day as needed for anxiety/sleep
*Maalox: 10 milliliters as needed for acid reflux symptoms
*Hydrocodone/Acetaminophen 7.5/325mg solution: 15 milliliters every 6 hours if needed for moderate pain.
*Cost of all medications: approximately $250 (mostly because of Emend. Emend has a generic but was still crazy expensive, I think $150 for 2 tablets???)
*Return to taking normal daily medication as prescribed (blood pressure, etc).

Drug thoughts: Zofran tastes gross. Levsin is minty so not too bad. Yay for only having to take both of those (hopefully) for only 1 day.

Post-Orbera Placement directions:

*Clear liquids only (broth, gelatin-ew!, ice chips, water, apple juice, coffee, tea, etc.) NO carbonated drinks! Maximum 1 caffeinated drink per day to limit dehydration.
*Drink at least 8 cups of liquid daily in small sips (only 1/3 cup liquid at a time).
*Sit upright after drinking for 3-4 hours. Use a recliner if resting.
*Rest for 3 days after placement. Walking/light activities are allowed.

Drinking small amounts is weird. Normally I'm on the go so I drink alllllll my liquid in one guzzle (an entire glass of water, etc.). Broke out the beef broth I bought and heated up 1/3 cup, because I was STARVED by the time I got home (around 9 AM). So far so good. Several 1/3 cups later over several hours and I finally check the nutritional content of the beef broth: 15 calories per cup. LOL So probably have only had like 100 calories today??? I was wondering why I was still hungry.

Current time: 2 PM (post-procedure 6 hours):

No major nausea and no vomiting. Stomach is a little queasy, but I'm assuming that's because it's confused about the balloon and lack of solid food for the past 2 days.

Stats: 1/31/17, 3 PM

Chest: 43.5 in
Arms: 15.5 in
Waist: 37 in
Hips: 50.5 in
Thighs: 31.5 in
Weight: 214
Body Fat: 44.1 %
Lean Mass: 119.67
Hydration: +5.28

RE: Ideal Protein

Ideal Protein was offered as an adjunct to Orbera by the gastroenterologist. Met with the rep on Wednesday and got a bag of samples. Probably will not be officially starting on Ideal Protein until Sunday or Monday (depending on how I feel about solid food). Cost for initial consult with rep (who is keeping track of my stats, above), which includes weekly follow-up visits and the bag of starter samples: $281. Will need to purchase weekly from rep but cost varies depending on the food item so not sure how expensive that will end up being.

Wish me luck guys!

~L

Last edited by howdytx; 02-02-2017 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:17 PM   #19  

1st 3 days are supposed to be the hardest but so far, so good! Woke up this morning with barely any nausea, took my 3 anti-nausea meds for my last official dose (only as needed from now). Kinda cheated yesterday. I was only supposed to have clear liquids but I was starving so I drank 1/2 a Soylent for some calories & felt much better. Today I had more chicken broth and cracked open my 1st Ideal Protein item: Vanilla drink (so I can still feel like I am vaguely following the post-op directions to drink only fluids). It is waaaaay too sweet so I added some powdered decaf coffee to it & much more palatable.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:31 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 195/165/150

Height: 5"6'

How is this going for you? I found read about this procedure last week and wondered how it works.
Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:45 PM   #21  

Kanema- what are you doing for your meals? My GI doc gave me the option of using Orbera coach (thru the Orbera company) or Ideal Protein (ketogenic diet w/weekly weigh-ins and coaching). I picked Ideal Protein b/c I know if I'm just eating smaller portions from Orbera, they will be smaller portions of the same junk I was eating before. A ketogenic diet allows for NO deviations or you'll have to jump-start ketosis all over again (and no one wants to go through keto flu more than 1 time!) Hoping this will keep me 100% on plan and able to resist any unhealthy items ppl offer.

Neko-So far so good! Today was the 1st day I've felt pretty much back to normal. Most people seem to get over the nausea/cramping within a couple days, but I'm a slowpoke (I 'm still having nausea @ day 6). I started a blog to keep track of my stats/labwork if you want more in-depth info: https://orberablog.wordpress.com

Last edited by howdytx; 04-11-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:47 PM   #22  

Week 7 update: down 26.6 pounds since I started. Still have nausea (generally when in a car/moving vehicle) & am taking zofran & hyoscyamine to treat. Other than that, would recommend. Since I'm combining with Ideal Protein it has been weird to weigh in each week and feel like I've done nothing to "earn" a loss since I'm not exercising.

Last edited by howdytx; 04-11-2017 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:27 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 101/90/75 kg

Height: 167 cm

So glad to find some people talking about this. I had mine inserted on Friday and it's Sunday now, so I'm on day 3. The nausea hasn't been too bad except for the first 18 hours - only threw up twice, and I actually felt better after I threw up, but I'm incredibly bloated. Feels like I've swallowed a barrel. I think I hit the fruit juice a bit too hard, and I've actually got some diarrhea this evening. Has anyone experienced this? I'm inclined to take some Immodium but I'm not sure if it's ok, and it's Sunday night....

During the first 24 hours, I started to have some serious regrets about this. What was I thinking???? It's much better today though. Really looking forward to getting back onto regular food and not feeling so bloated all the time.

I'm finding your posts encouraging!
Trocadero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:01 AM   #24  

Trocadero: glad you're feeling better! The bloated feeling goes away once your body gets used to the balloon. Fruit juice can definitely cause diarrhea so maybe switch to beef or chicken broth until you can move on to semisolids/solids? What will you be doing for food once you are able to eat solids?
Old 04-01-2017, 01:09 PM   #25  

Thanks Howdytx I'm feeling much better. I kind of disobeyed the rules - since if you look up different clinics they're guidelines differ A LOT - and I had scrambled eggs on day 5. I've kind of moved on to soft foods but am tolerating them really well. I'm finding that the slightly denser food (I'm not eating pizza....) seems to keep me full for much longer. My plan, once I'm on regular food, is to go low carb. I did it before, but just couldn't get back on the wagon, which is why I decided on the balloon. I've been vegetarian for almost four years, and today I actually decided to start introducing some lean meats. I found it hard to do low carb as a vegetarian. Your weight loss is going great! I see you're doing Ideal Protein. I looked it up. I tried to find something like that, but I'm in the Czech Republic, so I guess I'm doing something similar but from scratch.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:22 PM   #26  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieAmazon View Post
I get my balloon out tomorrow and have lost 47 pounds. Things slowed down when there was an unexpected death in the family and there was last minute travel, but I didn't gain.
DixieAmazon that is a fantastic loss. Congratulations How did the removal go?
Old 04-01-2017, 01:23 PM   #27  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanema View Post
I had my balloon placed on November 16,2017. I initially lost 10 lbs probably due to not being able to eat anything. It now just under 3 months and I have not lost any weight. I am beyond frustrated and depressed. Anyone else have this same experience? I feel like a total failure.
Kanema, is it going better? What's your eating plan?
Old 04-01-2017, 01:25 PM   #28  

Default 2nd day

Hi, this my 2nd day following a gastric balloon. I've not suffered too much nausea, more just feel lethargic and cramping. It's weird not eating, it's like there is a big gap in my day not thinking about it actually eating. I didn't have sedation and it was pretty traumatic getting it put in. I'm already scared to get it removed, but other people have had sedation which seems like a good idea.
I'm kinda regretting getting it done, I can't believe my relationship with food is so bad I've done this to myself. I'm struggling to remember why I thought this was a good idea.
Sally7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 01:29 PM   #29  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally7 View Post
Hi, this my 2nd day following a gastric balloon. I've not suffered too much nausea, more just feel lethargic and cramping. It's weird not eating, it's like there is a big gap in my day not thinking about it actually eating. I didn't have sedation and it was pretty traumatic getting it put in. I'm already scared to get it removed, but other people have had sedation which seems like a good idea.
I'm kinda regretting getting it done, I can't believe my relationship with food is so bad I've done this to myself. I'm struggling to remember why I thought this was a good idea.
Sally, I'm on day 9, and if you look above, I posted that I said the exact same thing the next day: What have I done? I also thought it was crazy I'd gotten myself into this situation.

I'm really surprised you had no sedation. Can you talk to the doctor about having it during removal?

I was similar to you in terms of nausea - only threw up twice in the first 18 hours, then no more. I felt absolutely horrible on day 2. Day 3, I felt SO much better, and I went to work on day 4 and was fine. I did have a horrible headache because I'm sure I was dehydrated.

I think you'll feel much better tomorrow!

Last edited by Trocadero; 04-01-2017 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:20 AM   #30  

Day 11: Fizzy burps are a thing now. I don't dislike them - it's like I've just drunk a bottle of ginger beer. Not sure I want it to go on indefinitely though. I read somewhere that it's good to periodically drink coke to clean the balloon. Does anyone do that?

Sally, I hope you're feeling better!