Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 10-26-2014, 06:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 275H/148/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

Default I have made it to goal with the HELP of THE SLEEVE

Hey everyone, here is a brief recap of my story.
I am in my early 40s and I have been on a diet for the past 25years. I have never gone from year to year-- season to season and been able to use the clothes from the following year.... not even ONE time in the past 25 years. So, this year I decided I had my fill of the games and the yo-yoing damage I was doing to my body and mind, and I opted for WLS in Mexico. I worked for a place that carried ins that did not pay anything on WLS, so I took it into my own hands. I have nothing but positive things to say about my experience, but that is another post.

On February 28, I had VSG, or "the sleeve". I followed my surgeon's diet recommendations to a "t" and here I am 8 months out at goal. I feel great!!!!! However, I don't want to "glamourize" surgery. It is only a TOOL. You still have to work at it, you still have to "diet", you still have to be conscious of what you are putting in your body, and you still have days that you eat better than others-- or you are hungrier than others. However, I would do it again in a heartbeat.
The only "problem" I have had is hair loss. I am still losing hair... but it is slowing.

I still do not drink from a straw, I do not chew gum, I still do not drink ANY soda. Why? B/c it is a small price to pay for being a "normal" weight. For a shot at having the same jeans for more than a season..... the same PJs that fit or same underwear for more than a season.....

I still exercise-- why? B/c I feel better about me when I do....

I just wanted to let others know, if you are considering WLS, weigh the options and understand it is NOT MAGIC.... you still have to work.... but it is worth it!

Tammy
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:39 AM   #2  
Growing My Wings

S/C/G: 350/334/150

Height: 5'3"

That's awesome!
IvoryAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:20 AM   #3  
Old Cackler

congratulations!!! you've done a lot of hard work here
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:07 PM   #4  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Fantastic, informative, wonderful post and CONGRATULATIONS TAMMY!
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 432/180/200

Height: 5'11

Congrats and thanks for sharing your experiences.
TheSatinPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:43 AM   #6  

Thank you all so much! It is a daily struggle.... but hey.. that's life. right? But, the main thing is I am in the fight and ready to give it all I have to maintain this for the rest of my life!

Thanks for listening.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:07 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

Congrats on reaching your goal weight
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 12:59 PM   #8  
GmaTo8

I'm kind of late to the party reading this thread, but I also had the sleeve. My surgery was January of this year, and have reached my goal. Most beneficial to me was the intensive counseling I received before hand which helped stop my emotional overeating.

A couple of things I really love about the sleeve are that my bowels were not rerouted in any way. And also love the fact that I absorb the nutrients from the foods I eat.

As ladyrider said, weight-loss surgery is only a tool. One has to be 100% committed to following the rules and regulations before surgery, and after. Having said that, I will tell you that this is the best thing I have ever done for myself.

Best wishes to anyone reading this. 😊
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:50 AM   #9  

Jane,
CONGRATS on meeting your goal!

That was the reason for my post... I wanted people to know that surgery is not the "magic" people think it is..... like when they have not seen you in months and they see you a totally different person. There are struggles in between..... but it is well worth it if you do the work!

Thanks for all of the congrats..... stay tuned for the long story... aka. "Tammy keeping the weight off".... which has always been the difficult part.