Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 03:51 PM   #1  

Default one step forward..... three steps BACK....

Hello all,

Well i posted that i was to have my surgery on aug 6th, not the case anymore. Last monday I had my preop testing in columbus, ohio and everything went fine ..except one major problem. I couldn't breathe well at all. I had noticed my breathing had slowly become worse over the past month and a half. I didn't know what was going on... but i knew something wasn't right. Well the Dr. that i saw last monday, thought i possibly had a blood clot in my lung. Here i was 3 hours from home and he was wanting me to go get the test done to see if indeed i did have a clot.
After pomising to stop every hour on the way home for me to get out and walk (which i really couldn't walk more then a few steos without being short of breath) he said we could go home. But that we should go to the emergency room as soon as we did get home.
So monday night i am admitting into the hospital. The hosptial i was at did not have the equipment to do the test that needed to be done (or not equipment for large people) so on tuesday i was sent by ambulance to another hospital in town where the test was given.
NOT only did I have one clot, but i had blood clots in each lung and in my one leg for sure. They started me on blood thinner right away.
On wednsday they put a Greenfield Vena Cava Filter in going down through the next to place it. This will stop any clots that are in my legs or that may form in my legs from passing into my heart and lungs. And i will have this the rest of my life.
I was in the hosptial till saturday evening. I now have to give myself a shot 2 times a day, (blood thinner) and also am on a pill. I have to go get my blood checked daily for 3 days... then everyother day for a week then weekly....
I see the dr. (who put the filter in) on the 20th and hopefully by then he will give me some idea of how long I will need to wait till i can have my surgery.
I am feeling.... BREATHING .... so much better !!! What a scare that was. Plus now with the filter the concern of blood clots in my legs after surgery isn't so high on my concerns. I guess everything happens for a reason !!
So.... Even though I have taken 3 steps backwards... i am glad this was taken care of and that i am on the mend. Guess we all need to listen to out bodies more. Mine sure was tryin to tell me something.
Hope everyone else is doing well......I will keep u posted as to my reschedule date. I am hoping before the year is done i will be able to continue my journey !!!
God's Blessings to you all!!
Cindy
Old 07-28-2003, 04:47 PM   #2  
she who must be obeyed

Cindy, thank goodness for pre-op testing!! It very well may have saved your life.

So glad you are breathing better. I remember reading on obesityhelp about other folks who had the Greenfield Filter in before surgery. I bet if you did a search over there you could find people in your same boat.

Glad your doing well, and who cares if your surgery is delayed........you will have it.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:22 AM   #3  

Wow!

Thank God you are OK!
Old 07-31-2003, 03:18 PM   #4  
Hang In There

wow Cindy, I sure am glad you are okay. Keep us posted on your recovery.
Closed Thread