Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 05-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #1  
Old Cackler

Default So, Gov Christie got a lap band

As a Jersey Girl, i'm seeing reports of this EVERYWHERE, and i feel sorry for him - people around the world are watching him, even more than they watched Al Roker. BTW, they had surgery at the same hospital - but different docs.

But I'm really amazed at some of the comments - his doc has been called a quack for recommending lapband instead of a sleeve or a bypass. Christie has been called weak-willed and all kinds of other things. Some have said that he's doing in preparation for a Presidential run [maybe, but I do believe him when he says that he's done it for himself and for his family].

IMO, a lab band may or may not have been the best choice for him, but it did give him privacy when he had the procedure done, and he can convert it later if he needs to. After all, he won't have an issue with insurance denials!!!

what do you think?
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:04 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I think being a public figure the media just can't resist anything they can say about him good, bad or otherwise.I congratulate him for taking care of his health.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #3  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

I was watching a news program about it and someone said something like, "Well, of course the lap band is perfect for him since he doesn't have the time like we do to work out and eat right." The reporter stopped the woman in her tracks and said, "You just said a few moments ago that he'd have to exercise and eat well." She kind of paused and was like, "oh yeah, he will. And he's the perfect psychological candidate for this. I think he'll see it through." I think the woman he was interviewing missed an educational opportunity to explain that any weight loss surgery is a tool.

Some people are saying he got a sleeve instead of a lapband. Either way, I would never wish that public light on someone going through that process. I'm secretive about my current process! I really hope everything goes well for him. This morning I was reading some scary removal stories about lap band (I don't know why).
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #4  
Finally in control.

S/C/G: 294/236/199

Height: 5'4"

Everyone has an opinion. That's what you sign up for when you become a public figure. I'm not really sure that he'll be under any more scrutiny for having this procedure than he was for being overweight but I certainly don't envy the attention he's getting.

As far as his decision to have WLS...it was never a consideration for me but he has to do what's best for his life and his health. If this is the best choice for him...good luck to him.
ChickieBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I was very upset about the things that were being said about him recently, before I heard about the WLS. No one should be judged by their weight or appearance. Would the people who made such comments make similar comments about a person in a wheel chair? It's just rude. I hope he does well with his surgery and it brings him the results he is seeking.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #6  
Training for life!

S/C/G: 174/150/131

Height: 5'5"

People just love to talk either way!
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:12 PM   #7  
Bingo

S/C/G: 270/202.8/165

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
I think being a public figure the media just can't resist anything they can say about him good, bad or otherwise.I congratulate him for taking care of his health.
Agreed. No matter how I feel about him otherwise (as a NY gal) I wish they wouldn't attack his weight.
dcapulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #8  
Finally in control.

S/C/G: 294/236/199

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcapulet View Post
Agreed. No matter how I feel about him otherwise (as a NY gal) I wish they wouldn't attack his weight.
Ugh...me too. My heart hurt for him with some of the comments those commentators made. And then to see him eating a donut on one of the late night shows made me cringe. Some people just don't get what a severe struggle weight is for so many of us. It's not funny and it's not ok to be cruel. Christie's got some crazy thick skin though because there's no way that I could have put myself in the limelight like that.
ChickieBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #9  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Mean People S*ck!
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote