Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 02-20-2012, 06:54 PM   #1  

Default wondering

Hi
I had my gastric bypass ayear ago Nov. It seems the last few months i've been having alot of gas doesnt matter how much or what i eat,it happens.its uncomfortable and embarrassing.I'm embarrassed to even ask,but i can sure clear a room. Has any one else had this problem? and what do you take for it if anything.Thanks rosey
akrosey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:24 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

this may sound a little bizarre, but maybe it's not WHAT you eat but HOW you eat it. after awhile - like a year - i started taking bigger bites, talking more while eating, and in general doing things that made me swallow more AIR. and that alone made me more gassy.

sounds weird, doesn't it? but once i slowed down, stopped talking, and returned to smaller bites, it got better.

just a thought - i'm sure someone else will have other ideas. glad you're doing so INCREDIBLY well!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:53 AM   #3  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Are you positive it doesn't matter what you eat? You may need to abstain from certain foods for a couple days, not just one or two meals, to be able to truly pinpoint the culprit. Have you tried any sort of elimination diet? Eliminating dairy (lactose is a common offender)? Eliminating gluten (also a common offender)? Eliminating whey (some are sensitive to whey protein since it is a milk derivative)?

Also, do you happen to take a probiotic? Some people find a good probiotic can help to keep things a bit more settled.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:58 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

To expand on what jiffypop said....do you chew gum ? Chewing gum causes you to swallow more air and can cause gas. I haven't chewed gum in many, many years.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:04 AM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Just my 2 cents but it could be a combo. I have gerd and the best thing to do for that (b/c it makes me so gassy burping, etc) is watch what I eat spicy foods / acidly foods / greasy foods AND eat smaller amounts... small enough so that the stomach is comfortable and not stretched.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote