Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-27-2006, 02:42 PM   #31  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 253/183/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by House_of_Mirth View Post
I would definitly get a little more educated about vegetarianism and if that doesnt convince you, try it for a short period of time (as little as 3 days) and see how it goes.
DH and I have been talking about doing a "veggie week" to see how we like it/how doable it is for us. He loves meat but does not digest it well so we want to see if he'll feel better meatless. It takes a bit of planning - we want to give veggie week a fair shot at being as satisfying as a typical meat week.
BreakingFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:55 PM   #32  
Spanish chick

S/C/G: 142/127/???

Height: 5'2''

Smile

You're right. People who doesn't follow the general path always sufer suspicion, it's true and isn't fair. But is also true that SOME vegans thinks that they're above all of us, poor, feeble meat-eaters who can't follow the "right" path. It was very finely depicted in the Simpsons episode in wich Lisa became vegetarian and thought Homer and the rest of the people were monsters. Then she learned that while she was ovo-lacteo-vegetarian, Apu didn't eat milk or eggs. She asked him " So, you may think I'm a monster". "Yes", said Apu " but I respect you". (Sorry if isn't right quoted, I'm retranslating from the spanish dub and I hadn't see that episode for a long time ). The thing is there is no a real problem of food choices, is all about respect. In the other post I tried to say that people who loves meat and don't eat it because of moral issues are frustating themselves ( is my opinion, maybe I'm not right) but no that all vegetarians deprive themselves because many of them don't like meat. Sorry If I didn't explained myself properly.
mokenju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 03:25 PM   #33  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

While anyone can certainly take the high and mighty road where lifestyle is concerned, I think that a lot of people confuse a vegetarian's opinion about meat with a judgment against them. I know my father can go on a tyrade about the meat industry and the dairy council and I had to realize at one point that he's not judging me. Of course, he fully approves of the decisions I make now as opposed to back then, but his problem is with meat- the treatment of the animals, the presentation of it to the public (hormones, marketing, etc...) and his view that it's just not necessary in this day and age. He came about this decision on his own accord and expects others to do the same (and they do).

I don't know what answer you were hoping for, but it's a lifestyle choice that should come from within.

futuresurferchick- I agree with you completely because I have seen that firsthand. I have never once seen my father (or any other vegetarian) harp on someone eating a burger, but people seem to get really worked up when they find out he's a vegetarian or take a look at what's on his plate. Just the other day I offhandedly mentioned my vegetarian brother to a coworker and with a look of horror on her face exclaimed, "YOU aren't one, are you???" I wonder why it affected her like that. Maybe my experience is just different.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:59 PM   #34  

Ya know, I'm all about preventing cruelty toward animals - ANY animals, whether we eat them or not. I believe that the meat industry does not do their best to prevent cruelty. HOWEVER, I'm not going to give up eating meat, drinking milk, or wearing leather.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, but the redneck in me cannot resist the quote "Vegetarian: old indian word for 'bad hunter'."
My husband hunts, and we eat what he kills (IF he gets anything LOL, he's not too experienced yet)....thats fine with me, but I would have issues if he were doing it just for the kill and didn't want the meat. If we are going to kill animals for food, we need to make the most of it and use it all - not waste it.

If you can handle being a vegetarian, that's your choice, I really don't care one way or the other. But, personally, I never could do it.

on edit: I notice alot of posts about hormones in meat, but no one seems to know about the ANTIBIOTICS given to livestock - that we then eat which also contributes to the problem of multi-drug resistant organisms.
When I start back on normal food, I intend to by as much organic food (including meat) as possible for these reasons.

Last edited by buckettgirl; 09-27-2006 at 06:05 PM.
buckettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:15 PM   #35  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

So many of you have given me "food for thought" (I love that pun!!!!). I have always been aware that "too much red meat" can be bad for you, whether it's "organically farm grown" or whatever. When we have spaghetti or tacos or whatever, I try to always buy lean ground beef. Sometimes I go for the ground turkey, but it doesn't quite taste the same.

I realize that it's OK for humans to consume animals. But I just don't see that it's really necessary, and because I'm such an animal lover, I don't want to have that kind of cruelty in my kitchen. However, I also wouldn't want the farmers & other people who make their living in this way to be out of work either! Lord love a duck, I'm fighting a war with myself!

I'm really not sure I could make it as a vegetarian. I love SOME veggies, but certainly not all of them! - and I'm no Rachel Ray... I can't cook worth a damn. So coming up with "creative dishes" ain't gonna happen. I have tried some of the man-made stuff like Boca Burgers & some soy products. Some of them aren't so bad. Some of them are really yummy! And some of them just give me the gassies!!!

I also realize what this does to MY BODY as far as my health is concerned. My weight is always higher when I'm eating more meat, be it beef, fowl, or seafood. But of course, when I slack off on the beef, ditch the skin of the fowls, and eat more shrimp & fish, I lose weight easier & I feel better for it.

I certainly don't hold it against anyone who eats meat or who is a vegan. I'm nobody's judge! - but this is very much a personal decision. I just don't know WHAT decision I'm really trying to make here. But I thank all of you for your input.... it's certainly given me more to consider. Thus, I shall ponder more!
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote