Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-12-2006, 10:21 PM   #1  
Vegan

S/C/G: 255/Ticker/165

Height: 5'8"

Default What would you do?

I have lost a lot of weight since my friend moved out of state. I think I look better now than I have for many years. One of my challenges involved losing weight to around this goal date because I have been excited to see her and wanted to show it off.

So my friend that moved away came into town over the weekend. She's been saying for a couple months we should get together, she misses me, yadda yadda. Then she called yesterday and said lets all meet at her moms house where she is staying Saturday night. OK, so I make the plans. Then she calls today and says some 'crazy stuff' went down blah blah blah can we meet up somewhere Sunday? I finally get it out of her that the get together is still going to happen at her moms Saturday night but since her mom doesn't like me(long story but her mom is nuts), I am uninvited basically. She tried to cover it up and was nice about it but I am extremely offended.

Am I wrong to be so upset or is it justified? I mean she is an adult right? Seems at 33 she could tell her mom to get over it, or we could have it somewhere else. But no, there is a nice get together with a bunch of girls and I'm not allowed to go. I was supposed to meet her at the beach instead tomorrow but I'm going to call and cancel, i'm so mad.

I am having a hard time not comforting myself with food BUT all I have done bad is eat a little chocolate. It's that TOM for me so i'm craving it extra hard anyway. I have stayed in the calories range so far, but skipped out on my walk.

So, what would you girls say to her, if she were your friend? Since she stood me up totally last year when she came up, I'm about to cut my losses on this friendship. We used to be so close but we just aren't anymore.
kierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 10:32 PM   #2  
Staying on track!!

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/175

That's so hard. She did this last time, too, eh? People change, maybe it's time to move on. *hugs*
shyla2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 10:38 PM   #3  
LLV

Well, this is just me, but I'd tell her to have a nice day. If she can't tell her mother, "Hey, this girl is my friend and she's coming whether you want her to or not," then she wouldn't be worth my time.

But, again, that's just me and possibly a bit irrational, but I have a serious problem with people who lack balls.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 05:39 AM   #4  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

kierr, hi there. That's a rough one and it does sound like you've just moved apart. Still, I think it would help you to perhaps realize that if you met up with her at the beach. You know it may be your last time to do so but you could still have a nice day. Yeah, I agree, she's probably pretty wimpy to give in to her mother, then again, her mother could really make things unpleasant for everyone else if you came. You did say the mother was wacko, right? Anyhow, go to the beach, enjoy the day, enjoy yourself. Don't worry if you're friends or not, or if you're going to meet again. Just have fun NOW!
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 08:34 AM   #5  

I once had a friend who told me that she couldn't take coffee breaks with me anymore, because her supervisor told her not to mingle with people from other units. I was kind of hurt, although I knew that particular supervisor and I didn't get along. Then I thought that if she would let someone influence her that much, she was not my friend. Had I been a little more experienced, I would have reported that as harassment.

Move on. She is a selfish uncaring person whom you don't need in your life.

Last edited by northernbelle; 08-13-2006 at 08:35 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
northernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 10:19 AM   #6  

Nuts or not, is his her Mom's house. It doesn't matter how old you are or what the relation is, it would be rude to entertain unwanted guests in someone elses home. Yes, her mother sounds like a real nut job (what grown woman can't ignore her feelings for the sake of her grown daughter and her friends?). But, that is neither here nor there - it is still HER home.

Why not organize your own get together with these girls? It doesn't have to be a big to-do, maybe just invite them for coffee, drinks out, or a simple walk on the beach.

In the meantime, if you are interested in keeping this particular friendship alive, you need to talk to your friend about your feelings. But, understand, that she is caught between two people that she cares about (presumably). In my opinion, it would be unfair to ask her to choose between the two of you especially for the sake of this one occasion. With that said, there is nothing wrong with cutting your loses if you feel the friendship has run its course. That happens and is certainly nothing to feel guilty about.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 02:55 PM   #7  
Staying on track!!

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/175

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky View Post
Nuts or not, is his her Mom's house. It doesn't matter how old you are or what the relation is, it would be rude to entertain unwanted guests in someone elses home. Yes, her mother sounds like a real nut job (what grown woman can't ignore her feelings for the sake of her grown daughter and her friends?). But, that is neither here nor there - it is still HER home.

Why not organize your own get together with these girls? It doesn't have to be a big to-do, maybe just invite them for coffee, drinks out, or a simple walk on the beach.

In the meantime, if you are interested in keeping this particular friendship alive, you need to talk to your friend about your feelings. But, understand, that she is caught between two people that she cares about (presumably). In my opinion, it would be unfair to ask her to choose between the two of you especially for the sake of this one occasion. With that said, there is nothing wrong with cutting your loses if you feel the friendship has run its course. That happens and is certainly nothing to feel guilty about.
Good post.
shyla2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 03:05 PM   #8  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Lucky: I double that..good post.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 03:52 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I would move on, since this is not the first time it has happened,I'll
bet there are other people who would like to have you for a friend.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 04:37 PM   #10  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky View Post
Nuts or not, is his her Mom's house.
This is very true. And it's possible her friend feels bad about having to tell her she wasn't invited. Or uninvited, whatever.

I've been in this situation before, where parents didn't want a particular friend of mine at their house. And I know what it feels like to tell this friend they don't want her there. It's not easy. Because I had to respect my parents' home, but at the same time I didn't want to hurt my friend's feelings. This is where I start to have a serious problem with the parent's point of view. Whether the mother wants this girl at her house or not isn't the point. The point is she put her daughter in a very tight position - a very hurtful position - and the next time my own father told me he didn't want a certain friend in his house, I went and handed him the phone and said, "Well you know what? Then YOU call and tell her."

That was the last time he ever did THAT.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:50 PM   #11  
Vegan

S/C/G: 255/Ticker/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV View Post
The point is she put her daughter in a very tight position - a very hurtful position - and the next time my own father told me he didn't want a certain friend in his house, I went and handed him the phone and said, "Well you know what? Then YOU call and tell her."

That was the last time he ever did THAT.

Exactly, funny and very true. Thanks for letting me get all that off my chest. I wanted to go to the beach but I was just so hurt yet. I think it would have been so easy for her to clear it with her mom before she invited me over, or to set it up somewhere else since she felt that way, but she didn't. I didn't have the time to set up a get together myself, I only had one days notice and no idea what to do or where to go. ah well. Time to move her from 'friend' to 'friendly acquantance' I think.
kierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 09:17 PM   #12  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Don't lose a friend over a mom. It hurt, but friends are hard to come by. It's also easy to judge someone about them not standing up to their mom, but thats a lack on their relationship, not yours. She should have cleared it ahead of time. That was a lack of foresight. If she wasn't that great of a friend to begin with, then that is one thing, but a good friend is worth keeping. My parents ragged about a friend of mine's appearance several times to me. They had enough grace to not do it in front of her. They liked her well enough (she had a muscluar disease). I thought it tacky of them to even comment on it and laugh about it. I told them so. They kept doing it. I couldn't make them stop. I never told my friend. She and I go back to middle school when she stood up for ME when others thought I was a freak for having a hearing loss. Not everybody has manners.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 01:04 AM   #13  

Height: 5'8.5"

I agree with Lucky. Good post. It IS her Mom's house.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 01:56 AM   #14  
I will not fail!

S/C/G: 282/272/180

Height: 5' 10"

Im going threw the same thing right now!!! My best friend all durning highschool go married right after we graduated her husband went into the marines and they moved to South Caralina. Every year she would come home for christmas and only invite me to her house for her kids birthday party which is in december. I wouldnt get a phone call or anything any other time. Well she just moved back home like 4 months ago and she has only met up with me once. She's always saying we need to meet up but I invite her to do things weekly and she always has an excuse. Sometimes friendships arent meant to be I guess?!?! Good luck!
Jtjoray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 09:53 AM   #15  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by kierr View Post
Exactly, funny and very true. Thanks for letting me get all that off my chest. I wanted to go to the beach but I was just so hurt yet. I think it would have been so easy for her to clear it with her mom before she invited me over, or to set it up somewhere else since she felt that way, but she didn't. I didn't have the time to set up a get together myself, I only had one days notice and no idea what to do or where to go. ah well. Time to move her from 'friend' to 'friendly acquantance' I think.
I don't think she did it on purpose, sweetie. I'm sure her intentions were good and like others are saying, it probably would have helped if she'd cleared it with her mother before inviting you. But maybe she assumed the troubles between you and her mother were water under the bridge? Maybe she assumed her mother could be grown up about the situation instead of acting like a child. Apparently she assumed wrong.

Yes, it is her mother's house - but I think some are missing the point. It doesn't matter whose house it is. They should have talked it over between themselves before doing an actual invite.

If I were the mother, I would have put my 'bad' feelings aside so my daughter could be happy and enjoy herself with ALL of her friends instead of letting her go through the whole day feeling bad that one of them had to be left out.

In this case, it's the mother who lacks balls and she was being very childish and selfish. Regardless of who owns the blasted house.

Meaning... her mother could have handled it a little more tactfully. Reassessing the situation, I don't think your friend did any of this on purpose.

Last edited by LLV; 08-14-2006 at 12:12 PM.