Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-10-2006, 03:22 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 185/165/120

Height: 5'2"

Default Comments that make you want to stop.

Here are a few comments that have been thrown at me in the past that either made me want to scream, stop dieting, or just plain discouraged me, causing me to gain weight.

1. (This was today.) After I discussed becoming a military psychologist with my mother, she said, "That's an excellent idea. But you're going to have to lose some weight before they'll let you into the military." Not exactly fun to hear that I need to lose weight. especially from my mother, especially after I had been proud of my weight loss.

2. "Did you lose weight?" I know that's messed up and should encourage me...but it doesn't. I don't want people to notice, I just want to lose it...maybe I'm just in denial that I'm fat, and their noticing suggests that I am?

3. Being poked in the belly. I freaking hate it! Don't poke my fat!

4. "Ooh, you have a tummy!" Not cute.

5. "You really resemble your cousin. Doesn't she resemble Amy? Except Amy's thin." My lovely family. Well, thanks to karma, Amy got pregnant shortly after that. Made me feel better. yes, I'm sadistic. But I'm not a sadist.

6. "Oh, I think you should go at least a size larger." This was not my family member. This was a sales woman standing outside the dressing rooms. And the pants fit me perfectly.

8. "Wow. I just noticed how fat your arms are!"

9. "You're just like a little hobbit! Only you'd be Sam, not Frodo." And yes, there WAS a tummy poke at the end of this sentance.

10. "I'll just sleep in my jeans, I guess. I don't think that any of your night pants would fit me." It's called a drawstring. It's a cute little gadget that magically makes the pants smaller.

11. "Hey...you've gained weight, haven't you?"

12. "You aren't fat, you're pleasantly plump!" Thanks, but being plump is NOT usually a pleasant thing. Or worse, "More cushion for the Pushin!" God...what? No. Just...no.

13. "You were so pretty here!" Referring to a photo of me 30 lbs ago. Yeah, I gained weight. And some of it was in my face.

Whew. That made me feel a little bit better. I was feeling discouraged there for a moment and I just realized...I've lost 5 lbs since finding this website! I weighed 182 a few weeks ago...so I have lost 12 lbs since mid July. Who cares what people have to say? I'm losing weight, and that's all that matters.
AmberKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:32 AM   #2  
Diva under construction..

S/C/G: 262/212/175

Height: 5'7"

Well...#1 and #2, relatively harmless in my opinion. Mom's sounds like she's just stating the obvious and don't make your accomplishments a bad thing! You know you have weight to lose, so does everybody else. Be proud!

Now #3 through #13, I'd have probably had charges filed against me multiple times. Especially #5,8,9 and don't even get me started on #11!! I'm not one to encourage physical retaliation but did you hit um??? HARD!?!?
Stevi-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:18 AM   #3  

Yeah, I realize #1 and #2 are harmless. I guess I just need to get over being so dang self conscious about my weight...to the point where people mentioning it discourages me.

On #11 I'm a lover, not a fighter! I only bruised them a tad. Just a tad.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:18 AM   #4  
I'm on the wagon

S/C/G: 314/275.5/125

Height: short stuff

Amberkay,

Unfortunately there will always be comments.. it's awful, and mean at times. I have seen some on here comment that once they lost weight they get comments about that too, in a negative way.

I think the only person you need to worry about pleasing is you. You are doing what you want, losing weight. You will lose it, and hopefully in time, the memories of what was said will fade.

For some reason it's okay in this world for people to make weight related comments to people but it's not okay to notice anything else that is considered a shortcoming to most. (like race, gender, height, and all of the other physical attributes)

You keep on truckin along girl, you're doing great.
Abbeycat36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:25 AM   #5  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

My only solution is to become a black belt in kickboxing Then people will be so scared of you (and you'll be so fit) that no-one will DARE say anything!

You still get comments whatever, so just let em roll right off
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:36 AM   #6  

Abbey thanks, hon. You're right. I need to ignore what people say...especially my family!

2frustratedI'm a blue belt in Jujitsu...Hiiiiyah!
Old 08-10-2006, 08:15 AM   #7  
No description available.

I hear #2 a lot as well and sometimes it makes me feel good and sometimes I get annoyed (it shatters my denial that I was just a bit overweight vs. obese)...What did that person think of me 25 pounds ago?

For me, I find I have to let it go. Take it for the best and let go of the annoyance (hard to do depending on the person!)
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:17 AM   #8  

Oddly, I totally understand the annoyance at the "did you lose weight" comment. It is usually meant well, but like you, I just wanted to do it, not even talk about it at all, and NOT be noticed! Might sound strange to some, but I totally understand. I just don't even want to be complimented! Weird, I know...
lipidful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:26 AM   #9  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeycat36
For some reason it's okay in this world for people to make weight related comments to people but it's not okay to notice anything else that is considered a shortcoming to most. (like race, gender, height, and all of the other physical attributes)
heh, I have lots of short friends who would beg to differ (we called my boss at one of my jobs Mighty Munchkin ).

I agree that some of those comments are just downright harsh (esp. 8 and 11). I would probably avoid contact with people who make those kinds of comments. Family and friends, above all, should be supportive and understanding. I also agree with the black belt suggestion
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:34 AM   #10  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

#5 happened at my workplace a few years ago. I was in a fat phase then and one of the women was talking about me to the other women who sat in front of me. Mind you, I was RIGHT THERE. She goes "Hey Sunnigummi looks just like [some girl], doesn't she? Except that girl was waaaayyy thinner." I wanted to punch her in the face, but I just smiled and let it go. We became friends over the summer so I realized she's not that bad, she just says whatever's on her mind. Most of those you have to take with a grain of salt. It's not worth getting upset and losing sight of the big picture. My relatives would ALWAYS point out when I gained weight (from 12 yrs to 17). It's amazing how crass family can be, but hey, that's life.
Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:43 AM   #11  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I had a grandfather who said, "When are you going to lose some weight then?" ON CHRISTMAS DAY!!!!!!!

I couldda done with Juijitsu then!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:57 AM   #12  

Someone actually poked you in the belly? Uggh! Some folks really can be so ignorant. That's serious cause to slap the crap out of them!

Don't worry about it though because when you're looking HAWT, they'll be so jealous!
WaistingAweigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:01 AM   #13  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

My favorite is my family always manages to buy me something to wear. When I was at goal it was twice as large as it should be (that discounted my weight loss but maybe they only remmy the size when I was bigger...NOPE). WHen I'm bigger they buy me a size twice as large too. I've said something because IF you are going to BUY me clothes. GET THE SIZE RIGHT! They have always seen me bigger than I am. No matter how thin I get, I'm the fat sister.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:10 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

Quote:
13. "You were so pretty here!" Referring to a photo of me 30 lbs ago. Yeah, I gained weight. And some of it was in my face.
Gah! I had someone say something similar to me.I brought a pic of me in when I was in Mexico,and the guy I showed it to said;"Wow...you were hot.I'd have dated you back then" OMG! I wanted to smack him right then and there.
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:26 PM   #15  
Fat to PHAT!!

S/C/G: 255/234/155

Height: 5'7"

I think I can top your #6 as far as sales people are concerned!

I walked into a little boutique once looking for a gift for my SIL (of course shes adorable!!) The sales girl greeted me at the door with "I'm sorry, we don't carry anything in your size here!!" I was so stunned that I just turned and walked away!!

I am waiting on my Pretty Woman moment next year when I can go back and tell her what a huge mistake it was!!!!
TiredofWeightin is offline   Reply With Quote