Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-12-2006, 10:11 AM   #1  
Calorie-Counting Diva

Height: 5'1"

Default Avoiding disaster

Yesterday was on odd day. A very odd day. For some reason, I just could NOT get full. It wasn't the "Oh, I'm bored so let's eat" hunger, it was the "I'm going to shut down if I don't get some food!!!" hunger. My stomach literally hurt because I was so hungry and I couldn't understand it. I still can't.

I've been eating regularly, every 2-3 hours. It's normal, I keep my portions down because of it. On wednesday I'd ended the day with a nice, big turkey sandwich (on whole wheat) and some popcorn to make sure I wouldn't get hungry at 5am (as I sometimes do, but I always resist the urge to eat at that point). I wasn't hungry at 8am on Thursday, so I didn't eat. 9 and 10 passed me by, and my stomach then started to feel a little something. So I grabbed my trusty popcorn, since I don't have many other lower-cal foods in the hosue. It satisfied me, so I didn't eat a meal until 11:30. I had homemade vegetable beef soup, two cups of it! Really really filling stuff, right?

Wrong.

By the end of the bowl (which I took half an hour to consume), I had the same feeling of satisfaction as if I'd eaten a few crackers. I felt as if I'd eaten almost nothing. Why in the world would that happen? I shrugged it off, drank some more water to help fill the gap and walked for half an hour.

Half an hour after my walk, I couldn't resist the urge for food anymore. I raided the cabinets, searching for anything that I thought would satisfy my hunger. I see cheez-its, chocolate, NUTELLA (oh, the bane of my existence!), bagel chips, and oh... what do you know! I saw some yogurt-burst cheerios. I thought, ****, of all the foods in here, I guess cheerios are about as good as I can do. So I got a cup of cheerios and ate them plain, one by one. I figured that if nothing else, it would at least help me pass the time more slowly than if I munched on a bunch of chocolate, and maybe my body would get full. 20 minutes and I finally had eaten the whole cup.

My stomach growled loudly. What the heck! I sat in bed, watching Star Trek: The Next Generation, hoping the feeling would pass. Pain in my stomach, hunger pain, began. "Listen to your body!" I thought. Okay. Raid the cabinets again... PEACHES! We have canned peaches, in 100% juice! So I had peaches. Okay, not just peaches, I had peaches with some oats, a little brown sugar and a dash of cinnamon on top. I baked that concoction for about 15 minutes until it got hot and the sugar had carmelized.

But what did I do while I was waiting? I paced the room, then raided the cabinets again. I found raisins. I carefully measured out a quarter of a cup, then ate them as slowly as I could make myself. Which I'll admit wasn't very slowly.

Peaches done, yes! I eat the whole thing. An entire can of peaches. And what do you know? I'M STILL HUNGRY!!!

By now, I'm really wondering what the heck is up with my body. I ignored the hunger for a couple hours, drank more water, paced the house, watched tv, used the computer. Tried to just keep my mind off of food. I finally broke down again and prepared my tuna patties. Tuna patties are made from a can of tuna, drained, mixed with an egg and two tablespoons of flavored bread crumbs, fried. I hadn't made them since I'd started this journey, because I didn't want to eat a bunch of oil. I used PAM instead, to make myself feel a little better. I ate the tuna patties.

You know the drill. I was still hungry.

By this time, my boyfriend was home and I was talking to him, explaining this whole situation. He had no idea what was going on either, but said that if I wasn't over my calorie limit (which I wasn't) that I should eat until I was full. Obviously my body wanted something that I wasn't giving it.

Raid the cabinets again. I finally settled on a tablespoon of peanut butter on whole wheat bread. I ate it slowly and carefully, hoping that it would satisfy me because my calories would then have run out. And I sure as heck did NOT want to go over.

Well what do you know... I was full. Turns out, all my body wanted the entire day was some peanut butter. Why? No clue. But after a single piece of bread and a single tablespoon of pb, I was completely satisfied. I didn't need or want anything else.

Sorry for the super-long post, but I really just wanted to collect my thoughts. I'm still no closer to figuring out why my body wanted peanut butter, but I guess I'll be more likely to look to it in the future when I feel the way I did yesterday!
LadyFirelyght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:12 AM   #2  
Starbucks Addict!

Height: 5'4

I have days like that too!! I will have days where im STARVING then the next two days, im not hungry. Im not sure why this happens, but it happens about once a month. Atleast you found what your body needed. I usually never do lol. Oh..and I LOVE Nutella!!!! I dont have that in my house anymore because I could eat the whole jar lol.
Hope today is better for ya!
purplecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:58 AM   #3  

Height: 5' 8.5"

Wow, sounds familiar! I don't know why our bodies do that but sometimes I guess they're trying to tell us something and we need to learn to listen. Some days I get hungry like that and cannot figure out what will make me feel satisfied! The funny thing is, even after that happens, it doesn't seem to derail my weight loss even if I DO go over my calories.

Keep up the good work, looks like you're getting close to goal!
djstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 01:48 PM   #4  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I have some days that I'm just not very hungy. However, I have days that seem like I just can't get enough food. On these days, I have found that extra protein will take the hunger pains away. I tend to grab an extra chicken breast to satisfy me. Only protein will do, might be why you needed the peanut butter. I'm like you, can find anything else to snack on, but I am still growling and hungry. I also use boiled eggs to satisfy this hunger sometimes.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 02:38 PM   #5  

Height: 5'5"

Yesterday was like that for me yesterday, But I think I know why. I usually have a very set schedule and since I have been changing thing I have gotten used to eating peanut butter toast in the morning. Yesterday I was in a rush to meet my sister to go shopping, and I never got to eat my breakfast until 11:30a. But I was still starving, and anything I ate was not satisfying. I really think I felt that way because my schedule was disrupted. Glad you finally found what your bady wanted.
upswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 04:04 PM   #6  
used to be tofat

S/C/G: 189/128.5/130

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

Hey Lydia, you made me chuckle because I include a bit (I really do TRY to control the amount!) of PB in my diet everyday. It makes me feel good and its yummy. If we could just get it to not have so much fat/calories we'd be all set. I have switched to all naturally PB, just peanuts and salt. Very tasty and a little better for me than Jiff.
ArtsyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 05:50 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 01/07/10~ 142/136/132

Good for protein though! I would rather have PB than a steak anytime!
Lydia~ we all have days like that every once in awhile, frightening though because you always think that your going to gain weight from all you consume.
Wide in Winnipeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:06 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

maybe it was the fat in the pb you wanted... maybe some oil on those tuna patties is okay?

glad you figured it out before you ate the house... I have days like that too...
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:27 PM   #9  
Calorie-Counting Diva

Thanks for all the responses, everyone! It's good to know that everybody has days like that. Today has been a good day, though. Not been too hungry all day! The peanut butter did the trick
Old 05-13-2006, 05:47 AM   #10  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

I have days like that just before TOM. Just recently, when we were at the shops, I could have beaten my husband up for his chocolate shake, then bitten his leg off as well, for an added snack! The cravings were unbelievable! I managed to fight them off at the time, as I was determined to not give in to such 'silly' feelings. I did come home and have a little extra food, but I was glad I was a little more in control by then.

I usually find that cravings are satisfied with bread and peanut butter as well. I just get the natural pb, nothing added, crushed on the spot. For some reason, pb and bread is what I want when I have cravings. Nothing else will do. I haven't worked out if it is the bread or the peanut butter, but I think it is the peanut butter.

I'm glad you are having a better day today.

Take care,

Zelma
ZedAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:52 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 160/116/110

Height: 5' 4"

I have these days right before I get my period. I just want to eat everything and it's never enough. Do you think same happened to you?
dietnlose? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:34 AM   #12  
Calorie-Counting Diva

TOM would've explained it, dietnlose, except that I'd just had my period the week before! hahaha, it was just a weird day. I haven't had one like it again since, though. So that's a good thing
Old 05-16-2006, 09:41 AM   #13  
300+ Chick

Hang in there, Lydia..Hoping the rest of the week will be much better with your plan.
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:55 AM   #14  
Beth

S/C/G: 200/147/130

I had the same kind of day on Sunday, I was never like that since I started. But I just say it was the full moon.
azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:43 AM   #15  
Proud Army Mom!

S/C/G: 202/185/165

This ALWAYS happens to me the day before TOM. I can not seem to fill up on that day.
mel67 is offline   Reply With Quote