Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-21-2006, 09:28 PM   #1  
~Insane Java Turtle~

Red face The Secret Double Life of a Turtle

Where would one post if they're feeling lost, basically disgusted with themselves, and unmotivated, but looking for help? The Support Threads? I'm hoping so. I'm not looking for sympathy nor coddling, nor do I want "swift kicks" to my turtle bottom (or LindaT's cattle prod). I don't know what I want. I don't know what it's going to take to get moving again. I'm not a newbie to dieting nor to this site, I've been here over three years.

I was doing pretty well with my water intake and I had joined a challenge at my place of work to do 100 miles in 100 days and I was logging most of that on my recumbent bike (which is cleverly placed in front of my computer) daily, but ~~~BANG ~~~ Stress hit. Comfort food abounded and I found myself with a ten pound gain and feeling really sorry for myself. I wear a uniform and if you listen closely, you can hear the seams screeching.

I don't even know what plan to start back on. I've done so many. I personally feel that Weight Watchers is probably the most sensible, but to tell you the truth, counting all those points seemed overwhelming at times and I started obsessing about the points, the journaling of every morsel and even the stuff that I constantly carried around with me (books, tablets, pens etc.). I'm 41 5'3" and I'm back up in the 240s (no I've not changed my ticker back) and I'm facing a lot of stress suddenly.

I guess I just want to say, "What do I do NOW?"

The reason I titled this the secret double life of a turtle is because I sit here (at work) and read everyone's posts, threads and journals and get all motivated to exercise and eat right, but once I get home or NEAR bad food, I'm no longer all that motivated. I practically have a gym in my living room. Double life, motivated with best of intentions and sadly never following through.
Hotcupojava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 09:47 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Lots of love to you, Java Turtle! You'd done so well!

It probably won't help you to hear that this happens to lots of us from time to time--but it does.

You're over-stressed. What can you do to reduce that stress level? Trying to control food intake when stressed out is just really, really hard--takes a will of iron, and people get worn out. Been there, done that.

Thoughts:

- Take leisurely walks at lunch time if you can. Not "exercise," just a nice walk.
- Take a day off. Heck, take two, they're small!
- Get rid of all tempting foods in the house temporarily.
- Go for a drive in the country on the weekend if you can.
- Spend time with a friend or close family member just talking about things. (Don't make it a meeting over food that you shouldn't have--one can always go simply for coffee or tea with some "allowed" snack.)
- Listen to some relaxing music.
- Consider prayer and/or meditation. Just sitting in a church, a temple, or a quiet space at home can be restful.
- Spend some time watching clouds, a river, a lake, waterfall, fountain, etc.

You already know everything you need to know about the food part. Got to get that stress level down.

Lots of luck to you, Turtle,

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 09:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I don't believe anybody can fall all the way off the wagon. You still know everything you learned when you last lost weight. And you were smart enough to come back here where we care that you're feelin' poorly.

Post lots ... anywhere ... and read lots too. We're here for people (or rather turtles) just like you!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 10:19 PM   #4  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

The worst thing about prolonged stress eating for me is that although I'm eating in response to stress, the weight gain and out of control feelings make me feel MORE stressed than what I originally was eating to soothe. Double-edged sword...slippery slope...vicious circle...take your pick.

It is SO hard to do, but if you put yourself back in control of the eating, at least for me, the stress I was trying to mask by eating diminishes. Because what is stress other than feeling like something in your life is spinning out of control???

Of course, this is never something I can rationalize when I'm doing the damage...

Hang in there JavaTurtle! I've always enjoyed your posts and know you've got it in you to work on this. Take care!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 11:04 PM   #5  
Remember Why I'm Here

S/C/G: s-241/g-145

Height: 5'5"

ah ((((Turtle)))))... I'm not offering sympathy, coddling or a "swift kick" to your turtle bottom- just simple and pure well wishes!

Hang in there Turtle cuz together, we can all get thru this! There is so much support on this board. You know that. And somewhere you will find the place you feel comfortable enough to call it your home. Or maybe you'll just be a visitor for a while then move on. Time really doesn't matter cuz you will have gained something- and you will have GIVEN something too. I thank you for what you have given me
iwmonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 10:46 AM   #6  
~Insane Java Turtle~

Red face Thank you

Thank you all for your kind and helpful comments. I so appreciate it. What a pitty party I'm having. I need to (as my late Mother would say) "Get my head out of my duffle bag" and just stop talking and planning on it and DO IT. I need to count my blessings and be grateful for the good things in my life and move on. Thank you all very much. Where would I be without this site?
Hotcupojava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 11:01 AM   #7  

Hey.. I saw this title and KNEW this had to be my favorite TurtleButt!! And it is!!

Stress is a killer all right... I live there myself at the moment. I guess the first thing to ask is, What things do you like to do, that comfort you that are NOT foods related? I personally think Ms. Turtle probably is lacking in the "fun" department because as we get umm older, somehow that disappears in our lives.

I don't know about you, but I am basically a lazy person. Yes I am. And in one way this is good. I don't buy junk or off plan foods so when I have a craving, I don't have them in the house. So stop bringing that stuff in the house!! Plan for stress eating if you have to right now. Have a ready supply of cleaned, steamed or raw veggies just waiting for you when you open the fridge. Preparation is the key and I suspect keeping your hands busy with peeling and chopping veggies would also be cathartic...

Oh yeah.. get your shell covered behind back to the journals and write write write when you get the urge. This too will keep you busy, and besides... we miss you!
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 11:01 AM   #8  
I'm bringin' SEXY back!!!

Height: 5'3 1/2

Turtle, I know just what you are feeling and am feeling the same way currently so I can't offer many kind words or advice. But I am confident that we both can do this. We just have to "get our heads out of the duffle bag" (I like that one, am going to have to use it). Here's a high five for just being you.
teahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 09:30 PM   #9  
Staying in 1derland!

S/C/G: 288/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"

oooo my lil turtle buddy... what can i tell ya that u dont know? u do know this journey comes with its better days and not so good days.... ya have to find "your muse" ummm what will motivate you to keep at it each day?

what one thing is there that you want soooo bad and cant have or do at your current weight? umm a pair of size 12 jeans? ummm a uniform 4 sizes smaller?
to be thinner for your wedding? to go sky diving? you have to look inside that duffle bag and see whats in there... that u dont have NOW...

but i know that spot where u are now... i lost my muse... (sniff .. wipes eyes) So i 2 have to find that one elusive thing that success in this journey will bring... its different things for different people...

pick the goal and live it... hugs u are one awesome chicklet... turtle and a great cheerleader!
curlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 10:03 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 266/180/160

Height: 5'7"

Hey there, I'm fairly new here. I'm also in WV and also a dispatcher. I know what a challenge food issues can be with this job. I too do well while at work usually. I have noticed that a lot of times, I'm good with the stresses of this job while in the middle of it, then the minute that the adrenalin wears off, when I turn the door knob at home, when I actually sit down and it's all over, that is when I stuff my face hole. Stress eating is a huge issue for me. Have you experienced this? At any rate, I wish you the best of luck, and if you ever want to commiserate drop me an email.
~christie

Last edited by cryan313; 04-23-2006 at 11:24 PM.
cryan313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 09:38 AM   #11  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

OH MY LITTLE TURTLE SISTER I WV!!! I FINALLY FOUND YOU!! YOU KNOW WE HAVE ALL BEEN THERE AND DONE THAT. IT DOES SEEM TO ME THAT IF WE LET "DEPRESSION" TAKE OVER THAT IT CAN IMMOBILIZE US INTO VEGETABLES!! THE TRICK IS TO FACE IT. SEE IT FOR WHAT IT IS AND THEN TRY TO RECHARGE BY FORCING YOURSELF TO DO AT LEAST ONE POSITIVE THING EACH DAY. THEN 2. I KNOW IT TAKES STRENGTH AND LOTS OF EFFORT BUT I ALSO KNOW YOU WELL ENOUGH THAT IF YOU REACH WAY DOWN INSIDE YOU WILL FIND THAT STRENGTH!! YOU ARE WOMAN AND I WANT TO HEAR YOU ROAR!!! DON'T MAKE ME GET ALL BAD ASSED ON YOU AND HAVE TO DRIVE MYSELF ALL THE WAY TO WEST VIRGINNY. NOT SURE I HAVE AN EXTENSION CORD ALL THAT LONG!!!
***REMEMBER: JUST ONE THING TODAY. TASKE YOUR PICK! BUT DO IT. JUST DO IT. YOU KNOW I LOVE YOU.
PS~ YOU GOT SOME GREAT ADVICE AND SUPPORT HERE FROM THESE LADIES. DON'T LET IT GO TO WASTE.
MELODY525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 09:55 AM   #12  
I restore Teeth.

(hehe, i own a turtle... she hasn't eaten since august! I wonder when hibernation season ends for her....)

Java, I hear ya. The thing to keep in your mind is
1) weightloss is HARD WORK.
2) If you did put in lots of effort, losing weight will take a lot of time.
3) congrat youself for realizing earlier that you need to make this change.
4) Don't get bummed down by bad days. We all have those. They can't stop the world form turning though, not even if all of them collectively deterred us from our plans
5) If you think of it as a "health" change rather than "weight" chance, you'll find that youre more likely to care and thus succeed. The way I see it, Health is our primary concern, ALWAYS. WEIGHT or appearance is one of those that you kinda CAN kick to the side and say "well if I have the time for it..." because weight loss and appearnce isnt neccessary for us to go on in live. But health is. This is the way I talk to myself. Health is my goal, and my health keeps me operating EVERYDAY.

Good luck darling.
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:47 AM   #13  
No description available.

Recognizing your issues and speedbumps is the most important step...it is the first one on this journey, today.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 12:06 PM   #14  
stbakd

welcome turtle and good luck. if you it will help with thte stress.
cryan a word of advice don't post email address so you don't spamed.
glen
hefty1 is offline   Reply With Quote