Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-19-2006, 02:05 PM   #16  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

I started getting comments after I'd lost about 45 lbs or so. My advice is to enjoy the time when people aren't noticing (or noticing and not saying anything) After a while it get's annoying that people won't shut up about it already. I kid you not.
Tani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 02:08 PM   #17  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2ShedLBS
I had quit losing weight at about 180 and stayed that way for a while, and then I picked it back up, and lost 30lbs, 3 sizes. No one said a word. In fact my mom had planned some "intervention" because the small town I was in people were saying that I was doing drugs because the place I worked had alot of people that DID do drugs, however, I had my butt in the gym losing it. So.. I kinda wish that some people hadnt noticed. Just because of the rumors that were spread.
Oy, I hear you. A girl at my work (who was always very sweet to my face) told everybody else here that she knew I was doing drugs, that's why I was losing so much weight.
Tani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 02:40 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Yup, people noticing can be a double edged sword. I've had a friend plead with me not to lose any more when I was still 140.
I did find it made a difference when I bought new clothing. Maybe they noticed the me inside the new fit.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 07:35 PM   #19  
I like jewelry.

Height: 5'7"

Yeah, I don't comment on people's weight loss ever since I saw a man who looked great after losing twenty pounds... and later I found out that his wife had died and he'd been too depressed to eat! Thank God I never said anything.

So people have lots of reasons for not saying anything. (Also, they could be jealous... )

I will say something if I know someone is trying to lose weight... have you told people about your efforts? Maybe then they would be more likely to compliment you.

Anyway, do it for yourself! To heck with what others think.
TBJ333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 11:24 PM   #20  

Height: 5'8.5"

Well I am going through the same thing... my blouses especially are hanging all over me, they are so big. I've lost 29.5 pounds and no one has noticed. I do know it is because I am really heavy and all of a sudden people will start noticing. But oh well... just have to keep going and not become self centered!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 11:56 PM   #21  

I think it's Dr Phil that says "you wouldn't worry so much about what other people think of you, if you knew how seldom they did." Unless the change is really drastic or you have on something really different..most people are just going on living their lives. They are not eyeing you up and down to see if you have lost a few pounds. Be proud of yourself! Going down a size is a big deal for the person doing it. But I bet you have friends that have gone up and down all kinds of sizes and you didn't notice either. If you need the kudos, when they ask how you are.. tell them! "I've been working really hard getting healthy and working out. In fact, I have gone down a size! It's great!"

Yes, I am also one of those people who don't understand why other people expect you do just remember their birthdays or anniversaries. I give fair warning to my hubby when my birthday is coming.. along with suggestions lol Never understood that whole getting getting mad cause someone forgot an anniversary. If it's important to you, circle the date with big red magic marker. Say honey, our anniversary is in *fill in the blank days* what are we doing?

hmmm maybe I have had too much caffiene tonight...
healthytoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 01:17 AM   #22  

LOL well Dr. Phil may have said it but I am 59 and have been hearing that saying for as long as I can remember... so he is not very original.

As far as telling people... IMO that's not the point.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:48 AM   #23  

She wanted to know how people dealt with it. I shared my way. Perhaps I didn't use the best wording, but it's still a valid way to deal with people not noticing. If someone not noticing is going to make you feel bad and feeling bad is going to make you want to give up.. then telling someone maybe exactly the point.
healthytoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:53 AM   #24  

I didn't say it wasn't a valid way. To me that's like asking somebody for a hug; if you have to ask it doesn't mean much. If you tell somebody, you are pretty much putting them into the position of "having" to tell you you look nice, etc. To me that is not the same thing as having someone truly notice. But hey, whatever works. That is all I meant by it not being the point... it isn't someone really noticing. But yes, if it makes someone feel better, go for it.

Last edited by Misti in Seattle; 04-20-2006 at 08:06 AM.