Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-15-2006, 03:41 PM   #1  
LLV

Default Make-Up Secrets?

I wasn't sure where to post this, so it might get moved. But ever since I've lost all this weight, I think my face just looks too thin.

Does anyone know of any websites that give make-up secrets and how to apply blush to make your face look fuller?
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 03:50 PM   #2  

I don't know of any websites, but I have found magazines like Glamour, to be really useful. Have you gone to any cosmetic counters? Benefit does two great products, High Beam and Bene-tint, but it might help to have someone show you how to use them.

I love all the stuff you have in the US!! I live in the wrong country!!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 03:55 PM   #3  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by kykaree
I don't know of any websites, but I have found magazines like Glamour, to be really useful. Have you gone to any cosmetic counters?
No, I haven't done that. I don't usually shop in department stores, unless it's a super Wal-Mart and I doubt those people know anything about make-up, lol.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:57 PM   #4  

Hi, Linda--you are right to notice that makeup application can made a difference in how you look. And what a great thing--you look too thin!!

The blush is the easiest way to change that. Always start at the top of your cheekbone (not closest to the nose but up by your hairline) and come down towards your nose. When you start up there, more color is deposited and it fades as you come in, so the eye of people looking at you will be drawn up, rather than in towards your nose. Don't use a color that is too dark as that will contour the face too much and keep that thin look. You might also want to make sure it is not your hairstyle that contributes to the think look.

Hope this helps.
MelissaHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 04:00 PM   #5  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaHH
Hi, Linda--you are right to notice that makeup application can made a difference in how you look. And what a great thing--you look too thin!!

The blush is the easiest way to change that. Always start at the top of your cheekbone (not closest to the nose but up by your hairline) and come down towards your nose. When you start up there, more color is deposited and it fades as you come in, so the eye of people looking at you will be drawn up, rather than in towards your nose. Don't use a color that is too dark as that will contour the face too much and keep that thin look. You might also want to make sure it is not your hairstyle that contributes to the think look.

Hope this helps.
I think my face looks thin in any hairstyle. Even a friend of mine told me my face was too thin, lol.

Thanks for the tips!
Old 04-15-2006, 04:01 PM   #6  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaHH

The blush is the easiest way to change that. Always start at the top of your cheekbone (not closest to the nose but up by your hairline) and come down towards your nose. When you start up there, more color is deposited and it fades as you come in,
Oh, and this may be a great tip because I always start more toward my nose and brush out.

I'll try it the other way next time
Old 04-15-2006, 04:10 PM   #7  

Most counters will help you without you being obligated to buy (although you might feel under pressure yourself)

Or perhaps as a goal present, pay for a makeup lesson, then you can learn all the tips but by affordable make up. I used to do stage make up and learnt a lot of tricks from that, without ending up looking theatrical!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 04:12 PM   #8  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by kykaree
Most counters will help you without you being obligated to buy (although you might feel under pressure yourself)

Or perhaps as a goal present, pay for a makeup lesson, then you can learn all the tips but by affordable make up. I used to do stage make up and learnt a lot of tricks from that, without ending up looking theatrical!
Hey, great idea!
Old 04-15-2006, 09:14 PM   #9  
Bound and Determined

S/C/G: 268/268/150

Height: 5'10"

I worked at a make-up counter for a long time, had the professional artist lesson and all that jazz. It was fun.

Anyway, one of the big things they tell you (and this goes for clothes, furniture, just about anything) is that lighter colors stand out while darker colors recede. Eyes are the most requested feature to make over, so a very common tip in the industry is this: if you want to add shape to your eyes, add a touch of white or ivory eye shadow just below your brow and a darker color in the crease.

The same principle applies to blush. Most people ask to accent their cheekbones and make their face look thinner. What a makeup artist at any cosmetic company in any department store will tell you (or any makeup book you could buy) is to use a blush or foundation 1 or 2 shades darker than your normal color or a specific low-lighting product right below your cheekbones and into the hollow of your cheek and to use either a slightly lighter blush, foundation, or high-lighter on top of your cheekbones (right beneath the corner of your eyes).

So to make your face look fuller, do the opposite. Get some powder in a shade slightly lighter than your skin tone, perhaps with some irridescence, and apply it to the center of your cheeks, below your cheekbones.

And Melissa is right about starting at the hairline and working in. It makes the center of your face seem more open.

In one of his books, Kevin Aucoin (who, by many accounts, is one of the greatest makeup artists ever) shows an exaggerated face contouring system, using the darker colors to recede parts you think stand out too much, and lighter colors to draw features forward. The model looks like a zebra in the picture, but you can work with that theory and suit it to your own face. I tried it once with high-lighters and low-lighters (hey, I was working at a cosmetic counter, all of the fancy products were just sitting there at my disposal), and I got more compliments on my makeup that day than any other day I can remember. It really does make a difference, and the best part is, no one will know what you did but you!

Hope this helped! Any other questions, feel free to ask--I could talk about makeup all day!
~Elisha
miss_elisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 09:18 PM   #10  
LLV

Elisha, thank you. Wonderful advice!
Old 04-15-2006, 10:38 PM   #11  
I restore Teeth.

wow, there are many techniques to ake the fave thinner, but fuller? A peachy tone blush to fill the upper shadow of your cheekbone should do. Benefit (avail at sephora.com) or Nars blush is great! (theyll set you about 20 bucks or so.)
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 11:01 PM   #12  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

I think you have your makeup tips as far as making your face fuller, however, I just want to recommend an excellent make up. Im sure you have heard of Bare Minerals. The absolute BEST makeup. I love it love it love it. Its expensive, but it lasts for a long time and it makes your skin look so flawless, I cant even explain. I will never use anything else on my skin as far as foundation is concerned!
Ready2ShedLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 08:58 AM   #13  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2ShedLBS
I think you have your makeup tips as far as making your face fuller, however, I just want to recommend an excellent make up. Im sure you have heard of Bare Minerals. The absolute BEST makeup. I love it love it love it. Its expensive, but it lasts for a long time and it makes your skin look so flawless, I cant even explain. I will never use anything else on my skin as far as foundation is concerned!
I couldn't agree more. I've been using Bare Minerals for probably 5 years now...THE BEST stuff there is!!! Once you try it, you will never go back to gloppy, messy liquid foundation. You can buy it on Ebay & they have lots of samples.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 09:09 AM   #14  
LLV

Is the Bare Minerals the same thing as Bare Escentuals?

Because I've been searching the world for a foundation that smoothes out my skin tone and can't find ANY that I really like.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:13 AM   #15  
LLV

Oh yep, there it is, I found it.

$25 for the foundation. Let me guess... you have to buy your own brush, lol.

They really should, for that price, include the brush.