Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-10-2006, 04:50 PM   #1  
DIVA

Angry I hate it when people...

I hate it when people always have a comment about what you're eating when they know you are trying to lose weight.

My mother constantly says something about what I am eating. For example, We went out to eat on my "free day" and I decided to get ribs. She said, "are you suppose to have that", or "how many calories is that." It absolutely gets on my last nerve!!!

But on the other side she tells me I don't need to lose anymore weight because she is use to my face being "full"! WTF Or does she mean FAT!!!

The latest was I was trying on a sleevless dress and she said, "What are you going to do about your arms? You put makeup on those marks right? Meaning stretch marks!
Now mind you - I wore sleeveless shirts when I was 236 pounds and have NEVER put makeup on my arms. I have more stretch marks on my arms now than I did when I was bigger. I am not sure if it from weights, losing weight or what but that is besides the point.

Why do people do that??? She is going to say something that rubs me the wrong way and I am going to forget she is my mother and say something not so nice!

Just needed to vent!
Curves4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 04:55 PM   #2  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

She kinda sounds like my gramma. Except my gramma would always remind me how fat I was and how I should lose weight. She would say, "oh, have you tried this? It is really low in fat!" or "you shouldn't eat that." She bought me a weigh scale as a house warming present when I moved out on my own for the first time. I finally told her that I knew I was fat and I knew I needed to lose weight - I didn't need her reminding me.

Perhaps tell your mom nicely; something similar. Tell her that you don't need makeup on your arms to cover your stretch marks because you just happy that they are smaller. When she tries to tell you what to eat kindly tell her that you know what you can and can not eat. Be polite but blunt.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 05:16 PM   #3  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

Are we sisters?? Tell mom to call me!

I know how you feel my mom always did me that way too. She always had something to say about what I ate, and it did lead me to secret eatting. I know shes your mom,but you may have to put her in her place. *respectfully of course* You have more stretch marks now then you did when you were bigger because your shrinking and now you can just see them better.. eventually they will turn white and they wont be so promanent. Dont let it get to you girl. People like that, whether they are family or not, sometimes you just have to politely say, mind your own.
Ready2ShedLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 05:50 PM   #4  
Mel

Sigh....some things NEVER change. I'm 51 years old and my mother still does similar things to me. She's now taken to introducing me as "my daughter who used to be really fat. Just how fat were you? Tell us what you used to weigh!"

There's a book I heard reviewed called You're Wearing That?: Understanding Mothers and Daughters in Conversation that addresses all this stuff. I think I'll order TWO copies

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 05:58 PM   #5  
**Nadine Marie**

S/C/G: 173/*ticker*/135

Height: 5'6"

I know exactly how you all feel! My grandma (she means to be helpful and all but sometimes it dosnt seem like it) will say things like "you shouldnt eat that" in front of my entire family and its embarassing, and my dad will say things like "are you allowed to eat that?" its like whatever im doing works ive lost 30-some lbs eating what i eat, so leave me be! Dont worry girls eventually we'll be able to eat whatever we want without any thinking twice about saying something about lossing weight and or cheating on our diets.
cherrykissez011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:08 PM   #6  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

It could be that your mom just doesn't know what to say - a lot of people are awkward around people who are losing weight - especially those who have never gone through it before. They don't want to overcompliment, because saying you look SO good now means they thought you didn't look so good before... so maybe she thinks she's trying to help you stay on track by questioning what you're eating? Or, well, maybe she's just the type of person who's missing taht filter between their mind and their mouth! If it were me I'd tell her how I feel - just flat out let her know that it really doesn't help when she makes these comments, and that if she's not going to be supportive than she doesn't need to say anything about your food or your body. She may not realize that it's rude and that it bothers you.
sierra_ttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:36 PM   #7  
Big Momma!

Height: 5,2

Would u believe that when my dad came over from Germany to visit me after 4 years.....second thing he said to me after hello.....was " Geee youre not prego whats up with the this? Pointing to my belly....
I was so upset I could have balwed!!!
He also keeped making those statements" Yeah another cookie sure wont hurt you!" "You gonna diet ?" " What happend to you?"

I was so upset,,,,I told Mike ( hubby) He just told me to ignore it because in his eyes I was perfect. And thats all that matterd...
I dont know why my dad is this way, he was never skinny..(construction worker) but he always made fun of people who were heavy. Even when I was little he always did this to me. I think really thats the reason I startet to smoke,,,thought I could controll the urge to eat

He is gone now.......but the words still hurt. SO if ya need a leaning shoulder for ure head u let me know ......
Or if ya just wanna yell thats fine too.... that goes for all u girls here !

People are so mean....sometimes they dont even know how long the effect of those words are. As too how to deal with them......beats me I havent figured that out yet.
Jasmin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:04 PM   #8  
Swimming Mouse

Oh, boy can I relate to this! My father, who is WAY heavier than I am, says this kind of thing to me all the time. My grandmother used to, until I was diagnosed with an endocrine disorder. I think sometime around my graduation with my master's degree (about a year after I was diagnosed, but before I was on all the meds I'm on now), my mother sat her down and told her that she needed to stop. We used to have huge fights whenever I was home because of it. Both my mom and grandmother are much more supportive, and have become even more so in the last year since I was put on a much stricter diet. The medication and the whacky hormone levels make me nauseated frequently, so there are many things that I cannot eat anymore. I don't do well with refined grain products or sugars, I can't eat chicken, etc. We're Jewish, and you should see what my mom and grandmother have done so I can participate in the holiday meals. They cook everything with this special vegetable shortening (no chicken fat for me!), and my mom spent 30 minutes in the grocery store looking for a turkey gravy that didn't have chicken in it at Thanksgiving!
But, I have problems with people that I work with, who don't know me. I'm also allergic to chocolate (have had that my whole life). And the parents of my students can be pretty bad too. I teach students with cognitive issues (mental ******ation, mostly), and many of my students are overweight or have very unhealthy eating habits. We (myself and the severe disabilities teacher) have rules for the cafeteria that they have to have vegetables and fruit with their lunch, and they can't just eat junk. One of my kids likes to buy 4 cookies and a large chocolate milk and call it lunch. The last time he did that, I took 3 cookies from him and traded him for some of the healthier food we had in the classroom (we have a class store with healthy snacks and such). The cookies were placed in the clasroom fridge, and he was told he could have 1 each day for the rest of the week. He told his mother I ate the cookies! Fortunately, my chocolate allergy was already well known, and I was able to show 2.5 cookies in the fridge (he dropped one and half of it shattered onto the floor! But, oh... it was horrible to hear that kid repeat what his mother said about me. 'She's so fat anyway, she shouldn't be telling YOU about healthy eating!'
Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:50 PM   #9  
Mel

Quote:
Dont worry girls eventually we'll be able to eat whatever we want without any thinking twice about saying something about lossing weight and or cheating on our diets.
Wow. I hate to burst your bubble, but if you go back to eating whatever you want, you'll be right back where you started. Maintaining looks a lot like what you are doing to lose the weight.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:55 PM   #10  
Starting Fresh

^^^^^ Agreed... that's what got me fat in the first place!
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:02 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 01/07/10~ 142/136/132

Mels right! This is a total lifestyle change!

I have almost the oposite happening with my mom. She tells me I'm big and have rolls to my face but when we are out in public she tells people "look at her, she thinks she's fat!" huh, I wonder why I think that!!??

Funny thing is,,,,she's bigger than me! Jealous??
Wide in Winnipeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:02 PM   #12  
Sweet Success

Yea, you would think some people in my family became bonfied diet experts and you are the novice and don't know better.

My issue over the weekend with a family member was "Isn't potatoes bad for you?" Should you be eating potatoes?

OMG! we worked down from the sweets to the veggies now.

I guess I do not suppose to have potatoes but yet everybody gripes when I bring broccoli and cauliflower in the house.

I am waiting for the bread to be attacked next.... I know its coming.
FeistyRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 08:49 AM   #13  
Working on Hot!

S/C/G: 242/225/175

I had something like this happen to be yesterday...I was looking for a swinsuit and my hubby's grandma was tring to give me a swimsuit. She said it use to belong to a "big girl".......I was like WTF I went home and walk for 40 mins and did lots of crunches.......
la3y_un1c0rn_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 08:53 AM   #14  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel
Wow. I hate to burst your bubble, but if you go back to eating whatever you want, you'll be right back where you started. Maintaining looks a lot like what you are doing to lose the weight.
Mel
Unless we learn to WANT to eat the way we are. That is my goal... but LOL your point is VERY well made!! Eating what and when we want is exactly why we ended up like this LOL.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:15 AM   #15  
Beth

S/C/G: 200/147/130

This is why I do not tell anyone I am changing my life style and losing weight. It seems like they say things and then I become what I call a "closet eater" and I do not want to do that again. So instead I fly low and eat better. I have lost some weight and not one person has noticed. But I have. I wish I knew why people say such things it is hurtful and I wish they would understand that.
azul is offline   Reply With Quote