Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-27-2006, 04:12 PM   #1  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 220/188/170

Height: 5'5"

Default Newbie wanting advice!

Hi. I hate exercise. And lately, the past 2 weeks i haven't exercised, but i have been counting calories. I seem to get the same or almost better results from this. Would it help or hurt me if i continued to do this? Help!

Last edited by MiaManning; 01-27-2006 at 04:23 PM.
MiaManning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 04:30 PM   #2  

You can lose weight on calorie counting alone. And in fact, initially you may lose weight quicker that way, in pound to pound sense. However, if you exercise you will build muscle which is more metabolically active at rest, and you will continue to burn calories all the time, more than if you did no exercise.

You will also look better, arguably, if you exercise. The fat you do still have will be balanced by muscle. I am still quite heavy, but everyone thinks I am 20lbs lighter than I really am, which I put down to exercise.

And the most important reason to exercise, in my opinion, is that studies have clearly shown that those who exercise are far more likely to maintain their weight loss in the long term than those who diet alone.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 04:34 PM   #3  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 220/188/170

Height: 5'5"

Thanks Kykaree. I know that exercise is better than no exercize. I just starting getting tired of getting on that treadmill. I like it when I'm doing it, but when I stop, I don't know how to start again. Maybe I'll get back on my exercising 3-4 times a week routine. Thanks again!

MiaManning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 04:43 PM   #4  

Tell me about it, I am a Gemini, and we get bored very easily!!! I do lots of different things now, like fitball classes, cross trainer, treadmill, rower, walking outside, I'm about to start running, I do a lot of swimming. And of course, weight training! I love my weights!

I have to be in a gym, coz there is no way I would exercise at home, I have a very short attention span LOL

Try and make it as interesting as possible.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 09:30 PM   #5  
repeat offender

S/C/G: 178/167/105

Height: 5' 3"

Mia, the key is to find an exercise you enjoy. I love badminton, swimming, walking etc. If there is really nothing you like you can always find a buddy.
You can definitly loss weight by dieting alone. But with exercise you can rip all the other great benefits. For example I have more energy during the day, sleeps better at night and my heart and lungs also imporved a lot.
Miaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 12:14 AM   #6  

Yes, you can lose weight without exersize. But the health benefits you get from exersize are a lot better. You will not keep getting better results from just calorie counting. That only happens as you add muscle, because muscle weighs more than fat. Pretty soon if you keep exersizing you'll drop faster than with just calorie counting and you'll look a lot better.

I recently gained loads of weight. I still exersized on and off though. Nobody suspected the weight gain was as bad as it was and I was a much smaller size than I should have been (not many people can be 220 lbs and wear size 14 jeans, or even some very tight 12s). I will never give up on exersize. I can eat more, I look better, and I feel better if I "just do it".

Old 01-29-2006, 01:45 AM   #7  
shadow5788

Default Good way to start exercise

When you first start find a easy activity maybe unweighted squats.

do maybe 5 the first day 6 the next day 7 the next day and so on if you miss a day take it back one number.set a goal and a time frame.

Then maybe do something like everytime I pass this door or do a certain activity I will do so many squats.

No this will not make you loss weight at first but does set you up for sucess.
which you can gradually add on to bigger more productive workouts.

To many start to much to fast and get frustrated and quit.
shadow5788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 04:57 AM   #8  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

I have been running for an hour a day. just lately I have been finding it difficult to fit the hour in because of other commitments. I would love to go swimming, but would like to look a little nicer before I put a bathing suit on!

I try to exercise for an hour five out of seven days, this gives me days that I can relax. I dont know if I am doing it right, but I am loosing (or maintaining) almost every week.
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote