Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-25-2006, 07:24 PM   #1  
girlsrul

Default Seperate meals for me and my family??????

Help! Need suggestions on how to cook for myself with out making my kids want to go on strike.
I have been making myself seperate meals and I'm getting fustrated because now I have twice the groceries and dishes! How can I do this without it being a big production.
girlsrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 07:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Default Modify the family meal

Depends on what diet you are on, but I just make what I want to make for myself for the whole families (but I might have an additional veggie). Like porkchops, corn, greenbeans and brocolli. I don't want the corn, but the kids won't eat the brocolli. Someitmes they want a slice of bread too. I won't eat that. If you could modify some of their favorites, that would work too. Some things like homemade soup my family won't eat so I make it and take it to lunch for the week. They eat at school. When I'm really lazy they get frozen pizza and I get lean cruisine. I made a lean pot of chili last week that the whole family ate. With your main dish, make yourself a salad to go with it instead of the starchy sides my family always eat. Over time they might suprise you and ask for what you have.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 07:40 PM   #3  

We all eat the same thing! they might eat more carbs than me but other than that if it's healthy for me it's healthy for them!
susie_sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 07:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Yup, just like that. I make a lean meat, a couple of vegetables or salad and potatoes or rice. I just don't eat the rice or potatoes.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 07:52 PM   #5  

I agree that if it's healthy for you, it's healthy for them. Once in a while, make a family favorite that you wouldn't normally eat, and either have a very small portion or have something easy for you that's tasty and lean! They can't go on strike if it's tasty, even if it is healthy!!
English_teacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 07:54 PM   #6  

If I have a meeting or a class in the evening, it becomes "boys night" which tend to be pizza (homemade- no pizza places in the boonies) or tacos! That's treat enough!
Old 01-25-2006, 07:58 PM   #7  
girlsrul

Have you all completely cut out potatoes and rice? They are my favorites.
girlsrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 08:03 PM   #8  

i'll eat 1/2 a potato, and depending on my points for the day eithe r 1 cup or 1/2 cup of rice with a meal, or pasta! Just not the whole bowl full i used to eat.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:04 PM   #9  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

I haven't completely cut them out. I traded brown rice instead of white rice. In one month I've had rice 2 times and 1 potato. I've slowed it down. Both have good nutrients just can't have them all the time.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 09:05 PM   #10  
Losing for Life!

My family eats everything I eat and I eat everything I have always eaten. I just modified the recipes to remove fat and sugars and nobody even notices.
Sheri~C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 09:27 PM   #11  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

How old are your kids? Young kids, tell them that's what's for dinner and they need to eat it. Teenagers, tell them if they don't like it, they can make their own dinner. Very easy.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 10:11 PM   #12  

I eat foods my family loves and I do modified body for life. I never cook two seperate meals. The kids eat what I eat. I do not watch sodium, so flavor is always high. They might get tacos with low-carb tortillas (we use mission brand), low fat sour cream, 2% cheese and salsa. They get chili with super lean red meat or turkey meat. They get sandwiches with super lean meat and whole wheat bread. They get spaghetti with lean meat, delicious red sauce and whole wheat pasta. They eat salad, and veggies a lot. I make my food taste good and my kids love my cooking. I use lots of spices and garlic and cooking wine. But then again I don't allow "picky" in my house. You eat what I cook and you be grateful that I care enough to cook healthy, delicious food for you! One of the greatest things I do with my kids is watch shows like "The Biggest Loser". When they see those little kids being total brats and refusing to eat anything healthy they are really grateful I don't allow them to be that way. But I also refuse to eat plain chicken breast and brocolli for myself. My food tastes delicious. I keep my portions controlled and use quality ingredients that are nutrient dense. In this way I can have the best of both worlds--just not as much of it. Ha ha!

Old 01-25-2006, 11:35 PM   #13  

Default Jan. 25th

My family have lots of favorites that I have to fix for them, I look at it this way, I'm on the diet, not the family...but here's how I work this out, I fix what I would normally fix for them, and I fix myself something different, something low cal, and low fat.....about 2 x a week I'll have something that I have fixed for them for myself as well....For example, last weekend they wanted Hamburgers and fries (deep fried), After I fried the meat, I took out a piece, took a knife and cut a piece of meat in half, then I squeezed all the grease out using a paper towel, I loaded the bun down with my fav's, tomato, lettuce, onion, pickles, etc, so more good stuff than actual meat, then instead of having deep fried french fries, I had a baked potato, and a side salad, sometimes you just have to come up with ways to have what they're having, but just have less of it....It works for me....
DeeJae37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 09:07 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I eat the odd potato and a bit of rice. My problem isn't the potato or rice itself, I like the butter and crap I used to put on them.
In all honesty, I find that my nutrients stay better if I eat several different vegetables during the day. Potatoes and rice take up too many calories without adding much nutrition.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 09:37 AM   #15  
Dede

well i have young kids and they wouldnt eat if i tried to feed them some of the stuff i eat (e.g. spaghetti squash), so the "tell them that's what's for dinner and they need to eat it." isnt always ideal.

On the nights that i treat them to pizza or just stuff i plain cant have i eat a frozen dinner, why punish them!

My daughter is vegetarian so she and i can usually share a meal, my partner and son are bean poles so they do, so two meals isnt so bad...i have had night where ive made four. Luckily I like to cook!
dberdine is offline   Reply With Quote