Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-24-2006, 01:39 PM   #16  

LOL! Since buying my new excursion nobody, including me, can eat in the car. So luckily the salads are still a go for me! Hee hee!

It's the motive behind the movie that ticks me off. But I do think the one good thing that comes from it is the point that junk food is indeed junk. And I did agree with the rant on school lunchrooms. I now homeschool my kids, but when they were in public school I would not allow them to eat ANY of the food sold there and I am INCENSED that schools make money selling JUNK to our children when obesity and child diabetes are epidemic.

I have the ability to be educated to make healthy choices. But we make choices for our kids and school should be a place where heatlhy choices are the norm, not the exception. But then again, I guarantee that if parents protested enough there would be change.

As for people suing fast food restaurants, MAJORLY annoying. And Supersize Me was used as evidence! :-)

Old 01-24-2006, 02:18 PM   #17  
LLV

I agree with the education thing. Knowledge is power.

After I watched that show, I was dying for a Big Mac, lol.

Seriously, though, like I said, I know he was trying to prove a point, but what can be learned from something like that? I knew someone that ate McDonald's every day - until they watched that show. And that's great, we probably shouldn't eat fast food anyway, but will it stop me from going there? No. Because I've already taught myself how to make better choices.

Can someone eat McDonald's every and still lose weight? Sure they can. It depends on the choices you make and how much of it you eat. By the same token, I could get fat eating from a salad bar every day as well.

I think the thing that bothered me the most about that show was trying to prove that fast food is evil. The food isn't the enemy. The restaurant isn't the enemy. When it comes to weight gain, your only enemy is you. And that's exactly what that man proved. Because he was warned. His doctors told him to stop. But he continued on with it anyway. The food wasn't hurting him - HE was. Because he did it knowing he shouldn't.

That and he gorged himself. He sat right there in his car stuffing that food into his mouth until he had no choice but to hang out the car window and throw it all back up.

Stupid stupid stupid.

I'd be really interested in seeing a show with an update on that guy to see how he's doing now and if his health returned to normal. He was in perfect health when he started and by the time he was finished, he had not only gained weight, but his cholesterol went up, his blood pressure went up, his liver values were off the charts, and he damn near gave himself a heart attack.

The brave one in that show was his girlfriend. Because I wouldn't have been able to sit back and watch that.

As for sueing McDonald's, that's just plain ridiculous. That would be like me trying to sue a grocery store for putting donuts where I could see them. It's MY CHOICE to pick up those donuts - or not. It's also my choice to visit a McDonald's. Would I like to order a Big Mac, a large fry, chicken nuggets, a huge coke and a sundae for dessert? Sure I would.

But I know better.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:24 PM   #18  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV
I'd be really interested in seeing a show with an update on that guy to see how he's doing now and if his health returned to normal. He was in perfect health when he started and by the time he was finished, he had not only gained weight, but his cholesterol went up, his blood pressure went up, his liver values were off the charts, and he damn near gave himself a heart attack.
They did provide a little update on him. I don't remember if I saw it somewhere else or if it was on the DVD. Anyway, it took him a few months to lose all but the last 5 pounds...the last 5 pounds took him something like a year to lose (don't we all know how that is!) His health returned to normal quite rapidly since his girlfriend had him on a strictly vegetarian diet right after the show, and if I remember correctly, he was also quite active. He eats meat now, but obviously not fast food
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:26 PM   #19  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylambert
I'm not into sweet or rich foods, for me it's fried chicken, french fries, chicken sandwiches, etc. I've been doing better with my meal choices though. Instead of large or supersize sandwich with cheese I get the medium chicken nugget meal usually which is about 750 calories. I always count it in my fitday too.
Me too, I loved the fried stuff. But I don't eat it anymore, whether it's within my calorie range or not (especially those chicken nuggets, you may as well sit down and eat lard right from a can) because my mother had a massive stroke - hardening of the arteries. Plus she had over 90% blockage in her carotid arteries from plaque build-up. Why? She ate too much fried crap.

Every now and then I'll still have a piece or two of fried chicken because that's one of my most favorite foods. But it's rare. I don't eat fries or chicken nuggets or any of that stuff anymore because I get too grossed out thinking about all that fat swimming around in my veins
Old 01-24-2006, 02:27 PM   #20  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720
They did provide a little update on him. I don't remember if I saw it somewhere else or if it was on the DVD. Anyway, it took him a few months to lose all but the last 5 pounds...the last 5 pounds took him something like a year to lose (don't we all know how that is!) His health returned to normal quite rapidly since his girlfriend had him on a strictly vegetarian diet right after the show, and if I remember correctly, he was also quite active. He eats meat now, but obviously not fast food
Thanks for telling me that, I wasn't aware they'd done an update!

Old 01-24-2006, 02:30 PM   #21  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyonomore
I would have no problem with that show if the purpose were only to show what bad choices can do. I have a problem with it being used as a weapon against McDonalds and others in the fast food industry because that takes the responsbility away from who it belongs to--ME.

Oops, long rant. Sorry. :-)
But a GOOD rant and I totally agree.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:35 PM   #22  
LLV

Quote:
I honestly don't think fast food places SHOULD have healthier options--
Yes, but they have to. So ignorant people, who won't take responsibility for their own actions, can't drag them to court and say, "Well I would have ordered salad if you had offered salad. But you didn't. Therefore, since your establishment lacked healthier options, it's your fault I'm fat."

Because who knows, in this day and age, if healthier options weren't on the menu, they'd probably have a case.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:41 PM   #23  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Well, I understand things like Burger King ofering a veggie burger and places offering grilled chicken sandwiches, but honestly, salads from a fast food place? Do you know how many chemicals must be in that stuff to keep it looking fresh? I once read about how someone got that Fruit and Walnut "salad" (the appled, grapes, and candied nuts) from McDonald's, and she put it in her fridge and forgot about it for like a week, and the apples didn't even turn brown

Also, I think fast food chains are wasting their money by promoting the healthy stuff. As Burger King has proven, they make MUCH more money off the people who go buy the fatty, greasy, nasty food multiple times a week than they do off the handful of people who grab fruit or a salad once in a while just because their kid wants some fries or whatever
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:45 PM   #24  
LLV

In fact, today for lunch I had Wendy's. I had a tooth pulled early yesterday and haven't had any solid food for over 24 hours. And my MIL were out shopping today until close to 2:00 and I was STARVED (I've been living off of Slimfast for nutrition). So we swung through Wendy's and both got the grilled chicken BLT salads.

However, I modify them. First thing I do is pull off all the cheese. Then I use my own croutons (20 calories per 2 tablespoons) instead of their big fatty homestyle kind. And I also use my own dressing. I measure my dressing on my salads as well, I never eat more than 2 tablespoons. For my dessert I'm having a vanilla sugar-free pudding cup
Old 01-24-2006, 02:45 PM   #25  
Miles

S/C/G: 176/168/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV
After I watched that show, I was dying for a Big Mac, lol.
I was beginning to feel like the only one McD's was one of the few fast food treats I got growing up (it's cheap!). I had massive cravings for their french fries after watching SuperSize Me Actually, eating McD's now makes me quite sick after, but doesn't mean I don't enjoy the eating part of it.

I agree with what's been said about this, the movie frustrated me a lot too. I wish bigger attention would be paid to what the citizens of this country need to do rather than what a fast food restaurant needs to do. I'll bet the majority of people who eat McD's on a regular basis are pretty poor. If you are working several jobs, don't have a lot of money, and are often too tired to cook you tend to live off cheap fast food and caffeinated soda. I also think that while bad food permeates so much of our culture, inactivity does as well! You don't see him chasing down companies that don't have gyms!
blues4miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:47 PM   #26  
LLV

Quote:
[COLOR=indigo]Well, I understand things like Burger King ofering a veggie burger and places offering grilled chicken sandwiches, but honestly, salads from a fast food place? Do you know how many chemicals must be in that stuff to keep it looking fresh?
lol, well, I don't know about chemicals, but the salads can be just as bad as the other food. If you use their dressing and croutons and eat the cheese and all that other junk they put on there, then yes, in many cases, you may as well just get a burger and fries. Not to mention the sodium. Many of those fast food salads, including the one I had today, are loaded with it.

But... I still have them every now and then. Like today, lol! I was hungry and tired from being out shopping and didn't feel like going home and fixing anything. What's the quick answer? Fast food.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:04 PM   #27  

I understand, and agree that it is our responsibility to make intelligent choices, but I also agree that, in some respects, we can become "addicted" to the food, inasmuch as we crave it. My WW leader always said, you eat fatty food one day, you want it the next. The longer you go without eating McDonald's, the easier it gets. Also, once your diet becomes healthier, McD's starts to have a bad aftertaste, and the taste itself just isn't as good. Now, once in a while I get a mad craving for fast food burgers and fries, and I let myself have a small cheeseburger and fry, not more than once a month.
Ariana2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:24 PM   #28  

Quote:
Well, I understand things like Burger King ofering a veggie burger and places offering grilled chicken sandwiches, but honestly, salads from a fast food place? Do you know how many chemicals must be in that stuff to keep it looking fresh? I once read about how someone got that Fruit and Walnut "salad" (the appled, grapes, and candied nuts) from McDonald's, and she put it in her fridge and forgot about it for like a week, and the apples didn't even turn brown

Also, I think fast food chains are wasting their money by promoting the healthy stuff. As Burger King has proven, they make MUCH more money off the people who go buy the fatty, greasy, nasty food multiple times a week than they do off the handful of people who grab fruit or a salad once in a while just because their kid wants some fries or whatever
Preservatives get such a bad rap. Do you know the evil preservative that's mainly used to keep fruit from browning? Ascorbic acid--aka--vitamin C. I make my own bread from fresh ground wheat. I use a lot of the same preservatives in my loaves that stores use in their loaves. Ascorbic acid and lecithin. Both are VERY healthy. The really bad preservatives are not usually found in the vegetables. They are in the meats. Nitrites specifically, which is proven to cause cancer. Another bad preservative is the partially hydroginated oils they pump in all the "little debbie" snacks, etc... You're more likely to encounter a really bad preservative at your local deli in the lunch meat than you are at a McD's salad. For that matter the hamburgers there are probably more loaded with a bad preservative. Sad but true.

Old 01-24-2006, 05:30 PM   #29  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV
In fact, today for lunch I had Wendy's. I had a tooth pulled early yesterday and haven't had any solid food for over 24 hours. And my MIL were out shopping today until close to 2:00 and I was STARVED (I've been living off of Slimfast for nutrition). So we swung through Wendy's and both got the grilled chicken BLT salads.

However, I modify them. First thing I do is pull off all the cheese. Then I use my own croutons (20 calories per 2 tablespoons) instead of their big fatty homestyle kind. And I also use my own dressing. I measure my dressing on my salads as well, I never eat more than 2 tablespoons. For my dessert I'm having a vanilla sugar-free pudding cup

Oh I LOVE Wendy's mandarin chicken salad, dressing included. But if you load it with all the crap they include it's like 650 calories! I chop the dressing to less than half, don't put on the stupid noodles. I do keep the slivered almonds though. Almonds are good for you (although I think they use a crumby oil to brown them in). I cut the calories to about 490 doing that.

Speaking of eating out, tomorrow I'm going to town all day for doctors/dentist appts and I'm off to the Mongolian Grill. Does anybody have a mongolian grill? That's what I LOVE. I go there and get a huge plate of stir fried meat and veggies and 4 california rolls as my carb. YUM! Of course they also have a chinese huge buffet. I get NOTHING from that. Ha ha. Which again proves it's all about making good choices.

Old 01-24-2006, 05:49 PM   #30  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Personally, I think the accountability is on both sides. We have created a fast food culture (stop and go, on the run). We can't dispute that. That's as much a part of our culture as Santa Claus. The only basic things you can get there though that are healthy tends to be salads, fruits, and a sandwhich. None of these are bad, but they get very old. Also I know I don't like fast food salads, fruits are not a meal, and sandwhiches are great but not what I want all the time.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote