Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-27-2005, 01:33 AM   #1  

Default Water dilemma

I have been struggling with establishing a minimum water intake habit. Tried to do it on the week at a time challenge (which I host ) and the 21 day challenge. I have been successful with other challenges - exercise, tracking my daily weight watchers points, staying under my points, etc. But that darn water is not coming easily.

I bought a 24 oz bottle and work toward getting 4 in a day. It is easier for me to drink larger amounts in one sitting than to do several 8 or even 16 oz glasses/bottles. I have been doing better at getting in at least 48 oz a day since I got the bottle. I want to daily get in at least the 72 oz (3 bottles) and stretch for the bonus goal of 96.

I have a bladder problem (urgent and stress incontinence) which I hear will lessen after I have gotten my bladder use to the water -but I have not been consistent enough for that to happen! That problem makes me less likely to drink my water if I know I am going to be in the field or in a situation where I can't be running every 10 - 15 minutes to the restroom. I am prone to accidents

Any suggestions???
mscat816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 02:10 AM   #2  
undeniably moby

I may get some disagreement for this, but here goes.

I don't even think about the water thing anymore. When I drink it's because I'm thirsty or my mouth is dry or it's 7 million degrees and I'm in the mood for something cool, and probably 95% of that time I opt for water. Honestly, when I stopped worrying about how many ounces I was taking in a day? I realized I was actually drinking quite a bit.

My advice is to try replacing a good deal of what you're drinking with water, if you're worried about a daily goal. But beyond that, I wouldn't stress out about it. I think our bodies are pretty good about telling us when they need something, and I've decided to go by that rather than an intake "rule".
satylite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 09:30 AM   #3  

Howdy Cat! I tend to agree with Satylite. While I believe in the importance of being well-hydrated, I think sometimes we do aim for too much water. Why not just stick to the traditional 8 x 8oz glasses per day, every day, and see how your bladder feels? From my running days, I've always tried to make sure I have enough fluids. I just monitor my pee, and if it's darker than a pale lemon yellow, I'm not drinking enough. Of course the more you exercise and sweat, the more fluids you need. When I go hiking, I'm always the one labouring under a pack with a 3-litre water bladder - and an extra bottle just in case.

Several years ago I worked at a medical conference where one of the speakers was presenting on incontinence and ostomies. She maintained that the trend towards drinking too much water (at that time she felt 8 glasses was too much) was HARMFUL to the bladder as it distended it too much and put too much pressure on the wrong bits. Her advice: drink when you're thirsty, don't let your urine get dark, and never pass a bathroom without going in to empty your bladder.

I'm convinced that the point of all the water is only partially hydration. It's also to get us off soft drinks (sugar, caffeine, sweetener, carbonation), and to fill us up a little so we feel less hungry. It also gives us something other than food to obsess about . But too much does deplete your electrolytes which can leave you feeling cr***y and is in fact dangerous in extreme cases.

I don't know if you drink soft drinks. But I seem to remember reading that both carbonated drinks, sweeteners, and caffeine can exacerbate stress/urge incontinence. In my case, I don't know what brings it on, apart from my advanced age . I think alcohol may be involved (no problem so far since I started the challenges), and I KNOW that jumping on the rebounder (mini-trampoline) is an extremely damp experience for me. (The propaganda claimed that regularly bouncing on it would improve the situation, but as usual I gave up instead and turned it over to the cats as an expensive toy/jungle gym.)

If you really want to drink 96 oz of water per day, have you tried mixing some of it with unsweetened cranberry JUICE (not cocktail)? One half cup of juice to 28 oz water is very refreshing. Also water with some fresh lemon in it is better than plain. Drinking a lot of soup and eating plenty of tomatoes also provides a healthy and easy to take source of water.

Mscat, I'll be back on the week-at-a-time soon. I have a pretty good challenge in mind, one I'll want to try out for a week before I commit to 21 days of it. Take care, and don't be hard on yourself. You're doing a great job, and you're a great support to the rest of us.
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 09:44 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I have no scientific basis for what I THINK about drinking. I must have read it somewhere or maybe it's just something I've noticed from my own experience and from nursing. But I feel there is a difference in the urge to void and the feeling of a full bladder. The first is a kind of irritable feeling. The last is that distinctive lower abdominal heaviness.
Carla talked about caffeine etc ... I feel too that they can cause that irritable feeling. So replacing those with water may help. Might?
The specific gravity (concentration) of your urine is another factor. Lots of times, being dehydrated makes you need to void (that irritable feeling) frequently.
When I was my heaviest, I sometimes needed to wear a pantiliner to work because of a stress/sneezing/coughing thing. I'm not sure what changed. I drink less caffeine. I'm 30 lbs lighter. I drink more water. I eat much cleaner. I sincerely hope that this combination works for you too. It's a nasty thing to have to deal with everyday.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 02:36 PM   #5  

Here's my 2 cents! YAY!!!

I have a water-bottle that is bright red (my favorite color). I study color-therapy, and using a red-see-through bottle for my water is supposedly good for weight-loss. This particular bottle has a rubber straw that folds down to seal, and when you slide the top back, the straw pops up. HOW INGENIOUS! It also has a little hook on it to make it easier to carry around.

The STRAW thing helps me the most. This bottle holds 32 oz. I find that if I sip through a straw, I end up drinking MORE than just drinking form a regular bottle. I tend to take larger sips. I tend to drink longer, and I can sip with this bottle sitting on my fat roll on my belly while typing with two hands! I end up filling this thing 3 times a day, which is GREAT! (96 oz.). I don't even REALIZE I'm drinking all that much water.

I do pee a lot- which I hate - but my tummy pooch seems to be going down and I've lost 4 pounds! YAY
MrsFubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 07:33 PM   #6  

Mscat, another thing I forgot about earlier: I keep a case of water bottles on the floor behind the passenger seat of my car. If I'm doing errands or anything that involves the car on a warm day, I can easily get thru a litre per trip.
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 08:20 AM   #7  

I can also remember reading that you need to drink when you are thirsty and certainly water is the best choice. A normal person doesn't allow themselves to become dehydrated. I think the water thing is another way to make one feel successful-"I drank all my water" or fail, "I didn'tdrink...."
Whe you read some of the posts you see that many women are drinkings large amounts of soda and sweetened drinks. It's certainly good for them to change to water.
Laura
LauraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 10:04 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I like urine color test, I don't really keep track of how much I drink. I just drink enough so the color of my urine is very pale to almost clear. If it's a darker, I'll go drink an extra glass of water. That way you are drinking the right amount for you.

Good luck
Sarah
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 03:21 PM   #9  

Default Thanks Everyone!

Hi Ladies - Just a quick to all of you, carla, susanb, laurab, sarahyu,and satylite for your comments and support. I don't drink anything other than water on a daily basis - only a half cup of coffee a day and occassionally a little no sugar sparkling water to spike my water because I am more likely to drink it - don't like plain. Mrs. Fubby - I too have a special bottle with a sipper closure I really like and it helps me a lot.

I am aware of over zealous water intake and I am convinced that I don't need 120 oz a day I do know because of my body type and my health issues (I am on a diuretic so I must replenish) that a certain amount of water is necessary for my personal health and weight loss. I am comfortable with my amounts and many of the tips I received on getting a daily minimum in. I have to work at it in some structured fashion or I will go without any water all day

Have a great day everyone!
mscat816 is offline   Reply With Quote