Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-11-2005, 09:24 AM   #1  
PJ
Senior Member since 1998

Default ~Smoking Weighters~

Hello - My name is Pamela Jo aka PJ. I've been a member of THE NIGHT OWLS on this site since 1998. I decided I needed support in another area besides my weight. SMOKING......I have been smoking on and off for a very long time and as many people most likely saw on the news last night...since Peter Jennings death from cancer...the number of people trying ot quit has gone waaaaay up. Yes, Mr. Jennings gave many people quite a "wake-up call" ...myself included. Anyway, I had quit for 9 days...then quit for 6 days...now I'm down to about 2-3 a day. I start a new job on Monday and it is a "non-smoking" building which is great! I don't smoke in my home or around my two kids; ages 10 and 17. I'm sick and tired of the disgusting smmmmeeeeelllllllllllllll....I'm sick and tired of it controlling me....because I know it's going to kill me if I don't stop and that's that. So, if you're trying to quit smoking as well as lose weight, maintain...whatever...please join me in this group as I know there are more of us out there than we'd like to admit...hope to hear from you soon.

Have a great day!!!!!!!
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 09:28 AM   #2  

Hi there. I am so with you! I quit smoking on 5/16/05!!! This month will be 3 months smoke free!

My mom was diagnosed with lung cancer roughly 4 months ago! She is going through chemo and radiation now. Hopefully it is working. We will know more soon I think. She has already lost all of her hair and she is not doing great, but not bad either!

With my mom's lung cancer I quit. But now with Peter.. it freaks me out more! And then Dana Reeves has it too!

It has been 3 months and I still want a smoke. But I am sure it will get better over time. I hope!
TMunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 09:53 AM   #3  
PJ
Senior Member since 1998

Thumbs up

Hi Tracy - Yes, Cancer is a four letter word to me...all of my grandparents died from cancer...my Father had it but beat it...God Bless him at 77 yrs. old now. He had it over 25 years ago and has been cancer free until recently when he had several melanomas that had to be removed and yes, they WERE malignant. But, he now has a clean bill of health. Let's just hope it stays that way. I wish your Mother a speedy recovery and you should be so proud of yourself for quitting...especially at a time so stressful. If you don't give yourself a pat on the back...I sure will. I'm glad you're here and even as I sit here...typing away at my keyboard...I'm thinking of "having one" but then I also know how "crappy" I'll feel after I have "it" and so I wont bother. Lately, I've only been smoking during the late afternoon or evening hours but I have tapered off alot. While watching my son's football practice, I spotted one of the Mom's smoking over in the corner of the bleachers...it looked sooooo nasty and all I could do was think about how I looked just like that when I would sneak one around the corner of the bleachers when my son was playing hockey a couple of years ago. Geeez, there are signs ALL OVER THE PLACE that say NO SMOKING at the park and although I wanted one sooo bad and I'm being such a hypocrite right now...I have to say I was really disappointed in that parent. I don't really think she cared and it IS her business. None of the other parents were smoking so if anything...I'm sure she didn't make any impression on the kids at all. That's not my point. My point here is that I like to smoke, I enjoy it...and although there are probably more non-smokers than smokers out there...there are still MANY, MANY smokers. Just stand in any convenience store or gas station and watch how many people come in for "butts". It's amazing to me how I/we know how bad it is for us...that it can and will kill us...and yet...we still smoke. Well, not you Tracy...hopefully never again...but for those of us who have not yet "kicked the habit"...it's going to be a long, hard road. Aaaaaand, don't forget...we're trying to lose weight too...that's a double whammy...

Thanks for responding so soon Tracy and I hope we get alot more in here. Nice to meet you and have a great SMOKELESS day~~~~~~
Old 08-11-2005, 05:19 PM   #4  

Height: 5'1"

Hi Pam!

I'm in the process of trying to quit smoking myself! And let me tell you it's so much harder for me this time than it was in the past.

I've joined a gym at work so I would go there instead of the "smoking area" during my breaks. I figure heck, I don't want to gain tons of weight while I'm trying to kick this bad habit of mine!!

I even joined the 21 day challenge and used that as a way to help me be accountable. But I'm going to have to stop that since I haven't been able to get pass three days. I believe I'm just going to need more help than my willpower will allow......time to get the patch.

So, I am more than willing to partner up w/you to kick this habit!!

And anytime you want to just talk, you can always PM me. Or if you want to find me you can usually see me at the Jaded Ladies where I usually post. But I will check in with ya here.

I'll talk w/you later!
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 05:41 PM   #5  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I tried quitting a few times. I tried the cutting down method. I actually quit for awhile once, but when in a bar with friends, smoking, I started bumming ciggies to the point I finally went and bought a pack for myself, and there I was right back at it.

So in 2001, I quit cold turkey. Smoked the last I had and decided it was for keeps. I STILL have an ocassional craving. But knowing I don't want to go back, I try to turn my mind to something else or completely remove myself from whatever situation is giving me the craving.

I went through a lot of sugar free hard candy back then.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 10:11 AM   #6  

I think it's great that you guys are quitting! I quit January 2nd this year. It's definitely a struggle, but it's worth it in the end. I used Smoke-Away and that worked for ME, but I've heard a lot of different things work. The WORST for me was the HABIT. I decided that I couldn't do it without replacing my habit with another one, so I decided instead of getting hooked on candy or gum, I'd drink water when I got a craving. It worked...and I don't have a problem getting my water in during the day

I will definitely be here if anyone needs any extra support. It was one of the HARDEST things I've done in my life, and I totally understand the struggle! Just remember that it's worth it in the end!
AngelKisssezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 10:50 AM   #7  

Wow... this is sure an awesome board! I hope many join in on it. As I watch the tv I see/hear more and more people quitting smoking! I hope they are all serious about it. The national smoke out on Good Morning America sounds cool! I hope it leads all to quit. They are trying to make it where you cannot smoke anywhere anymore!! I sure hope so! It will make it so much easier on all of us who quit! I have a hard time going anywhere because of other people smoking.

My neighbor told me about my other neighbor (there sister) quitting. She had quit 5 years previous and she STILL craves a smoke!!! STILL!!!! I guess it never completely goes away!

I personally have had my bouts (sp?) of wanting/needing a smoke! And yes, I still do. But with more people quitting it might be easier! This board will be awesome for everyone! I am glad Pam started it. Hopefully many will join us to a healthy future.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:15 AM   #8  

Hi all, I quit smoking in December after 35 years. It is not easy and you must have fierce determination to do it. There is an awesome support site for smoking called the SSC - stopsmokingcenter.net It has program tools and a very supportive forum. I would not have been able to quit without that site. Good luck everybody and take one day at a time, and when necessary take one hour or even one minute at a time.

Dinah
Dinahgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 09:36 AM   #9  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I think quitting smoking is like losing weight. You have to have the determination to succeed. All the quitting aids in the world won't help anymore than all the diet pills will unless you seriously, deep down, are completely ready to quit. It's like the moment you decided to lose the weight once and for all this time...something inside just snapped and said this time's for keeps.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 09:55 AM   #10  

Great Thread...People quitting smoking need TONS of support. As of July 31 I have been quit for 2 years after a 35 year smoking habit and I didn't gain weight. One thing that I did do that really helped me calm the craves was to begin taking wellbutrin 2 weeks before the quit. Half dosage for me. (You don't stay on this forever~only till you feel confident in your quit and you are calm about it.) But it seemed to calm that desperate I MUST HAVE A CIG feeling ..where your mouth literally waters and you get super nervous. I also drank icy cold water every time I wanted one and that seemed to really stop the crave in its tracks. I chewed gum and sucked on sugar free candy too. What ever method that you use you will feel soooooo much better after the shock wears off. Our bodies are truly addicted..so be ready for a fight...But it is TOTALLY DOABLE!!!! And life does look better when you aren't looking thru a cloud of smoke. A great support site is www.quitnet.com lots of nice people there in various stages of quitting. Here's to a smoke-free life. You ALL CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!! Cindi
Flower Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 11:53 AM   #11  
PJ
Senior Member since 1998

Thumbs up

Wow - What a great surprise to see you all here! Welcome and please come back often as I know I for one, will need ALL of your support.

Cindi - Thanks for the url to the site. It's great! I just did a quick looksy because I've got to get off of the computer soon but as soon as I get some more time...I'll check it out more and join. Thanks! and thanks again for the support ... those two words you said "TOTALLY DOABLE!!!!", have really stuck in my head. Hope to see you here often.

almostheaven - I totally agree with you on the "you have to really WANT to quit". With my starting a new job this Monday, still going through post tramatic DIVORCE disorder (been one year) and struggling with my weight...I feel as though I've got a PLATTER FULL, not just a PLATE FULL. and to be honest...it's no laughing matter...even though I hold my head up and push on because... I'm not a quitter.....YET!!!!!!

Dinah - Your site is ALSO a great one. As I said to Cindi, as soon as I have a little bit of time on here to "surf" the net a bit...I will. Thanks for your support and conrats on your big quit!!!!!!

TMunday - HI!!!! I think you're right; with more and more people quitting, it will just make it all the more easier for US! Thanks to all you "quitters"

AngelKisssezz - Welcome and congrats to you too for quitting! I will definitely check out the other sites to quit smoking but since I'm already here on the 3fc site almost every day for a FEW minutes atleast just to check in on the NIGHT OWLS ... I thought I should start something ON here as well. You never know, I just might be up in the middle of the night...debating wether or not I should go out on the patio in my pj's...have a cig and smell DISGUSTING after I took a nice long hot bath that night...and need some support and message you or post on here. Thanks for joining in and I hope to see you often.

Hi Marti - Welcome! I'm with you as for the joining a gym. Just can't afford it yet and I think I'd like to go to "curves". It's close and it's all woman. So, I wont feel intimidated amongst those blonde body building bombshells. and yes, there are ALOT of them in the gyms here in Florida. So, to be able to really stick with it...I'm going to need a place I'm comfortable in and KNOW that the people at the gym will have alot to say about smoking as well.....UH OH....I'm in for some butt kickin I think.

Thanks everyone for coming here...I, personally will really need your support while trying to also LOSE WEIGHT. It's a definate DOUBLE WHAMMY and I and everyone else who is trying to quit will need all the support we can get...THANKS !!!! and I hope you're alllllll having a wonderful weekend.

Old 08-16-2005, 09:18 AM   #12  

TODAY IS 3 MONTHS SMOKE FREE FOR ME!!!!! YAHOOOOO!!!!

WOAH! How awesome! I wake up to all of these post messages in my email box!! I think we are going to eventually have a non-smoking nation!!! Which will be totally awesome!! And would it ever make this easier! I cannot stand walking into a resturante (I can't never spell that word lol) and smelling all of that smoke!!! Let alone seeing it! I can't stand checking out at the grocery store when the checker smells like a cigerette!!! It makes me sick! I often wonder how my husband (he never smoked!!) could handle being around me! Stinky ewwww lol.

Anyway - I am glad to see a lot of posts on this board!! I hope it continues to grow.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:43 AM   #13  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say that I was really excited to see this thread. And also that I'm still in the "Geez I really gotta quit someday" phase. I'm literally terrified of quitting -- which sounds sad and pathetic, but there it is. So, I won't list all the reasons why I want to quit and should quit and all my excuses for not quitting yet, but I did just want you all to know that I'll be reading this thread alot and hoping to get some serious inspiration from it.

Thanks for starting the thread!
-Kate

Last edited by LovesBassets; 08-16-2005 at 09:46 AM.
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 11:59 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 258/256/160

Height: 5'2"

Heh - I hear you on the "plate full". I originally talked to my Dr. about quitting in April, and she actaully said - although she did want me to quit smoking - maybe right then wasn't the time because I was working really hard through a plateau.

But about a month ago I went from a half pack a day to 2-3 a day, and on Friday I stopped altogether.

Nic fits are still pretty terrible - I hold all of you who have been able to quit in the highest regard - because right now I'd chew through my own wrist to have a cigarette.

Dr also thinks that the plateau I've been on recently is due to metabolism shifts because of smoking cessasion (sp?) Lovely, really.

Affectionately,
LL

Llama with a whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 12:46 PM   #15  

I quit smoking on June 17th - 60 days today (quit cold turkey after 20+ years of smoking). Still VERY hard - think about smoking all the time but it was worth it. I feel SSSOOOO much better. Anyone thinking about it should really do a lot of reading and visit quitnet.org - it is a great place for support. I found that reading about smoking really helped me with quitting. I am hoping the same will help me with losing weight!!

Anyway, I trying to lose weight at the same time – call me crazy!! I have been counting calories for the same 60 days and I have yet to lose any weight...??? In fact – I have averaged 1 pound gained. I also started exercising - I walk every day for about an hour and also get on my gazelle 2-3 times a week. I am getting completely discouraged!!

Is this happening to anyone else??? I am hoping that this is my body adjusting to the changes…???

Any advice would be great!! Thanks!!
Beth1068 is offline   Reply With Quote