Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-11-2005, 04:32 PM   #1  

Height: 5'9

Default Losing motivation...exercise, etc.

Okay all, I'm really starting to slack with my exercise routines. The workout DVD's/tapes are really just starting to BORE me...BIG TIME!!! But, I want to exercise....just doing something that I enjoy. I really like walking/jogging, but I'm wondering if it burns the same amount of calories/has the same benefits of doing the aerobic workouts?

I love being outdoors and I really would love it if I found out that I could burn the same amount of calories doing the walking/jogging over the aerobics. I just can't find any info on it.

Do you guys thing you could help me out? I've lost 96 lbs. and I don't want to blow it!! I need to get myself motivated again. Sticking with the diet is not a problem it all, it's the exercising that I'm now having a hard time with.

Please give a girl a hand!!
cemetarysiren25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 04:47 PM   #2  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Jogging burns tons of calories, I'm almost certain of that! I've lost a load of weight through jogging/running, so I'd suggest at least giving it a try.

I don't know exactly how they compare, but doing something you enjoy has to be a good thing anyway.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 04:55 PM   #3  
SuperFreak

S/C/G: 330/319/150

Height: 5"5

Jogging is a great way as long as your healthy enough to do so and sounds like you need a change up thats all.
When you start to get bored best move on to something more challenging.
I used to do a DVD workout myself then found a gym where I have incorporated weights in my workouts. Try new stuff im sure your body will let you know how it feels if its giving you a good workout and your burning some sweat.
Congrats on your lost so far.
MorticiaAddams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 05:34 PM   #4  
jammin on the bandwagon

S/C/G: 245/slider/145

Height: 5'6"

Jogging burns lots of calories. If you like water I can also highly recommend paddling.
try skulling(crew team) dragon boating or outrigger canoeing(like in hawaii 5-0). you can find local teams all over. It's really fun.
shhambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 09:19 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Walking burns a ton of calories if you are going a good distance, and you are going at a good clip. (not slow like you are window shopping ) You want to increase your heart rate, so walk quick enough to do that.

Jogging burns a lot of calories as well, but it is higher impact, and a little more advanced. I am currently taking up jogging as part of my exercise regime, and I have started out slowly. We have a local walkway with markers at every 1/4 mile, and I started out doing a few miles in walk/jog intervals. I would do each mile like so: walk for 3/4 mile, jog for 1/4 mile. Now I am up to doing 1/2 mile jog at a comfortable interval, and I can manage 3/4 mile...but it isn't at the "comfortable" point yet.

What is very important if you take up jogging, is to get new shoes MEANT for jogging/running. You do not want to wear cross trainers, lifestyle (general sneakers like Sketchers, Keds, etc.), or walking shoes for jogging. This activity is too high impact, and you need the special support and cushioning that running shoes provide.

Another thing you may want to do for boredom, and for days that the weather does not do well for outdoor activity, is to get a couple new exercise videos. If you do aerobics ones at home now, maybe try something different than you usually do-beginner yoga, beginner level Pilates, beginner level strength training...something of this nature. You don't have to spend a lot either. Go to garage sales and thrift stores. I recently was at Best Buy and wanted a certain workout on dvd, and didn't buy it. I was at the Goodwill a week later, and found it for $1.00 on vhs. It wasn't the dvd version, but it is in great shape, and you can't really beat $1.00!
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 11:24 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 265/262.2/190

Height: 5'10"

I think jogging would be a great alternative for you. Especially during the summer when it's so beautiful outside.

Is there an outdoor pool near you that is affordable? You could also go swimming a couple times a week, which can be a pretty good workout (laps, not just playing in the water, of course). I am going to start swimming once classes start up in August and I'm at the campus anyway, and I'm looking forward to it.
gray eyed girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:06 PM   #7  
Uber-Moderator!!

I suggest you get yourself an MP3 player (they're quite cheap right now - check overstock.com ) fill it up with your favorite tunes, put on some sunscreen and get out there!

I did the video exercise thing back in 1990 or so and it got boring for me really quick...for me, being in the house isn't very condusive to getting an effective workout, KWIM? Fortunately I live in a pretty hilly area - there is very little level ground - so I got a Walkman and started walking up those hills. I still come back to that from time to time, just to shake things up a bit, ya know?

Last time I did the full time hill walking (summer of 2000) I got a street map from AAA, and set a goal for myself to walk every street in the next town over - which is aptly named HILLSborough I didn't get to EVERY street but I got pretty darn close - I used a highlighter pen to mark off the routes I did every day.

I'm a terrible jogger actually, as I'm a bit overly well endowed in the chest region.

I want to add another tip to Aphil's hints about checking out new DVDs/videos - try your local library - especially if your local library system has their card catalog online you can potentially try out a TON of vids for nothing (or at most, the hold fee).

One more thing to check out is *Jazzercise*. Don't be put off by the name and the image of skinny spandex-clad Jane Fonda lookalikes - it is SO not like that. There are folks (mostly women) of all ages and sizes in a typical class - and usually the Jazzercise website has a coupon you can print out for a free class! You'll get FUN cardio, strength training, etc...definitely worth a look!
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:48 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJiim
I did the video exercise thing back in 1990 or so and it got boring for me really quick...for me, being in the house isn't very condusive to getting an effective workout, KWIM?
I think it really depends on the individual workout, and personality. What I have found in my experience, is that the ones that are sold at Wal-Mart and Target aren't for advanced exercisers. At an advanced fitness level, a basic Denise Austin video at your local Wal-Mart isn't going to give you a good workout. There actually ARE excellent workout videos for advanced exercisers though-but you are going to have to go for them online and not in a local store.

There are videos out for everything under the sun-including medicine ball workouts, "spinning" (if you have a gym style spinning bike at home, you play the video to mock a live spinning class), there are even advanced level step aerobics videos that are meant to teach choreography to aerobics instructors to use in their own classes, and some very hard strength training videos. Of course, with strength training videos, you use your personal fitness level as a guide, and tailor the difficulty to you by what sizes of weights that you use. You just have to know where to look to find the good videos. I think personally that Cathe (if anyone has tried her vids here) has some real "burners". As with any video, increase your intensity by adding weight. When I do a strength training video, it isn't with a single set of 2-3 pound hand weights like you would use for a Denise Austin type of video. I often have 4-6 sets of different weights out in front of me, and I switch depending on what muscle group is being worked.

We have a pretty nice weight room at home-free weights and plates of all sizes, weight benches, dual stack station...all that stuff. I use it now and then-but it is my husband's preferred method of strength training. I think it is really just personal preference. He likes the chest presses and flyes on the weight station, while I prefer them with free weights on the bench (with videos at times). He likes doing the leg press and such on the machines, and I prefer doing weighted leg exercises (squats, calf raises, lunges, etc.) out in the middle of the floor.

I am not a gym rat at all. I don't like to be around people when I work out. (save for dancing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJim
I'm a terrible jogger actually, as I'm a bit overly well endowed in the chest region.
Yeah...that is a good point to mention. I am well endowed also, so my sports bra for jogging was pretty expensive, but well worth the cost. If you are a C or above, a good sports bra is also recommended!
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote