Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-09-2004, 11:56 PM   #16  

I know exactly how you feel! I get the same way when trying to work out at my college gym- it's all athletes and beautiful girls in there. It's rather embarassing. That's why I joined a karate school nearby. The members are from all ages and shapes, and the instructors are very supportive. Plus, with the structure of the school, teasing of any kind is strongly discouraged (pushups, anyone?) and all the students are very friendly toward each other. After a couple of weeks, all akwardness wore off and it's been a great source of exercise (not to mention self-esteem booster)
MOTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 09:11 AM   #17  
Running Babe

I started seriously working out in University (at 200+lbs) at the University's gym and let me tell ya, I NEVER got hassled once for it. You have every right to be there if you pay your tuition and student activity fees. All the staff there knew me, I'd even see my profs around sometimes... I remember even running around the track (indoor and it went around the gym) where a guy who used to bug me about my weight in HS was there and he never said a word (yup, those annoy guys can grow up). I even got people I hardly knew come up to me and comment stuff to me about my progress. Overall it was a great experience.

Re: make-up and gym times, I have a friend who ALWAYS wears make-up running, but it's her thing and she still works out very hard. In fact one evening we all wore bright lip-stick in honour of her. Yet a few years ago when I worked out in Montreal a few of the girls wore make-up and would just slowly walk on the treadmill... Ah well.

Cheers!

Ali
Sweater Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 09:21 AM   #18  

When we don't exercise because we are concerned what other people will think we are allowing them to determine how we live our lives and how healthy we are. I need to lose about 30 lbs and go the the gym regularly. There are very few women, but lost of buff younger men. Sometimes I get looks from them but I am not going to let that stop me. Some day these same people will be struggling with their own weight when they get older. That's life. I used to teach aerobic exercise classes and I always admired the people who were very overweight for having the guts to attend class.

Deb

Last edited by debbiejarrell; 11-10-2004 at 02:25 PM.
debbiejarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 10:43 AM   #19  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I wish I could get my daughter out of this mindset. I was "slightly" embarrassed when I first started at over 200 pounds. But there was another overweight lady who went to the club daily so she and I would challenge each other to an hour on the treadmill. We had a little game going. And there was this rail of gal who was very helpful with my treadmill technique. She got me swinging my arms and letting go of the bar without falling down. LOL

But I bought my daughter one of the WATPs videos when I went for my visit. She does them, but not regularly...only when she can beat the family up and do them while they are all asleep. She would get in the floor and stretch while I was there, but she would never do the videos with mom and I.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote