Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-27-2004, 08:08 PM   #16  
it's always something

I love diet Sierra Mist. It's the only diet soda that I think really tastes like it's sugared version. I still prefer ice cold filtered water, though.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 09:00 PM   #17  

I've been drinking diet Coke ever since it came out. I don't think it tastes like real Coke, but then I never expected it to. I have one caffieneated diet drink at lunch, and it's usually either diet Coke or diet Dr. Pepper. To me, diet Dr.P tastes ALMOST just like the original. Diet Sprite and diet Sierra Mist (both caffeine free) taste pretty close to the original, too, and diet Minute Maid lemonade is REALLY good. So, even if you think you don't like diet drinks, give 'em a try you might be surprised.

But, again, I think it's important to wean yourself of the compulsion. I have a soft drink with lunch and a non-caffiene one with dinner, but I also like plain water and drink plenty during the day. If I had to give up all soft drinks I'd be sad, but it wouldn't change my life.

Last edited by funniegrrl; 08-27-2004 at 09:02 PM.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 04:20 AM   #18  

Default thanks all!

I didnt expect to check back and find so many responses to my question. I want to thank you all collectively in this post! You all have some good suggestions. I never thought of cutting up oranges or putting strawberries in my water. I will definitely try that. I'll look for some of the brands you mentioned of water here. Im in the Bay area so I'm thinking Ive seen them somewhere. Safeway perhaps?
Im happy to say that today I drank 4 huge glasses of water. I have a big 64.oz glass, so thats alot of water for me. I think my kidneys went "ooo, whats this?" lol.... I still had 3 glasses of dr pepper though. Im going to keep up with water and just do my best to phase out the soda... dh and I are in agreement that no more soda will be kept in the house as of tomorrow. It's gonna be rough.
Thanks all!
Oak Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 08:04 AM   #19  

Just had to add something-dicolas with caffeine will rob your body of calcium. I drink about a can a day but it is Waist Watchers or Diet Rite-no caffeine or sugar and made with Splenda-
Mima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 09:26 AM   #20  

"dicolas with caffeine will rob your body of calcium"

That's a myth. No medical studies have shown evidence of this.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 07:46 PM   #21  
Uber-Moderator!!

If caffeine robbed your body of calcium, most of my coworkers would be pools of jelly at their desks!

The myth (and it IS a myth) that soda robs your body of calcium generally gives the reason as phosphoric acid, not caffeine.

Here ya go from Snopes.com - Cokelore:

Quote:
Claim: The acids in Coca-Cola make it harmful to drink.

Example: [Collected on the Internet, 2001]

1. In many states the highway patrol carries two gallons of Coke in the truck to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.

2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of coke and it will be gone in two days.

3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl . . . Let the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush clean.

4. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous china.

5. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a crumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

6. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.

7. To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

8. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan;rap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy.

9. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, And run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.

FYI:

1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. It's pH is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about 4 days.

2. To carry Coca Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial truck must use the Hazardous material place cards reserved for Highly Corrosive materials.

3. The distributors of coke have been using it to clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years! Drink up! No joke. Think what coke and other soft drinks do to your teeth on a daily basis. A tooth will dissolve in a cup of coke in 24-48 hours.

Origins: Many
of the entries above are just simple household tips involving Coca-Cola, as provided by Joey Green in his 1995 book Polish Your Furniture with Panty Hose and on his web site. That you can cook and clean with Coke is relatively meaningless from a safety standpoint — you can use a wide array of common household substances (including water) for the same purposes; that fact alone doesn't necessarily make them dangerous to ingest. Nearly all carbonated soft drinks contain carbonic acid, which is moderately useful for tasks such as removing stains and dissolving rust deposits (although plain soda water is much better for some of these purposes than Coca-Cola or other soft drinks, as it doesn't leave a sticky sugar residue behind). Carbonic acid is relatively weak, however, and people have been drinking carbonated water for many years with no detrimental effects.

The rest of the claims offered here are specious. Coca-Cola does contain small amounts of citric acid and phosphoric acid; however, all the insinuations about the dangers these acids might pose to people who drink Coca-Cola ignore a simple concept familiar to any first-year chemistry student: concentration. Coca-Cola contains less citric acid than orange juice does, and the concentration of phosphoric acid in Coke is far too small (a mere 11 to 13 grams per gallon of syrup, or about 0.20 to 0.30 per cent of the total formula) to dissolve a steak, a tooth, or a nail overnight. (Much of the item will dissolve eventually, but after a day or two you'll still have most of the tooth, a whole nail, and one very soggy t-bone.)

Besides, the gastric acid in your stomach is much stronger than any of the acids in Coca-Cola, so the Coca-Cola is harmless.

The next time you're stopped by a highway patrolman, try asking him if he's ever scrubbed blood stains off a highway with Coca-Cola (or anything else). If you're lucky, by the time he stops laughing he'll have forgotten about the citation he was going to give you.
I also have to add (again!) that my father actually was a 'soda pop chef' i.e. a chemist who started out at Coca-Cola in the late 50's before he moved on to another beverage company here on the West Coast...he retired in 1993 so he knows what's up. Dad doesn't 'do' the Internet but he runs between being amused and ticked off about the rumors about soda pop. Granted - of course regular pop has quite a lot of sugar in it...but we drank diet sodas pretty exclusively growing up, as that was his area of expertise - concocting diet drinks. (I still think my dad's version of diet chocolate soda beats the PANTS off of Canfield's any day, although I don't know if the company he retired from even makes chocolate soda anymore or if they do, they might have changed the formula...). We literally had CASES of diet pop in our garage! In fact we sold it on the corner in the summer...

Whenever Dad hears the stuff about artificial sweeteners being hazardous or acids causing osteoperosis or what have you (he also attended med school at UNC-Chapel Hill and was a medical intern in the U.S. Army so there ya go...) his reaction has been "do you really think I would give you girls and your mom POISON? Or something that I thought would hurt you?" It kind of yanks his chain to say the least...

And from the Coke official site (as was stated when this was posted on another thread - Coca-Cola has staff and legal folk who verify that this is TRUE information, and they have every right to dispel any myths or rumors floating on the Net).

Quote:
All our soft drinks are wholesome beverages manufactured in compliance with the U.S. Federal Food Laws, the laws of all U.S. states, and the laws of nearly 200 countries throughout the world where our products are marketed.

Unfortunately, the incredible power of the Internet is sometimes used to spread false information about the ingredients in our products. There are several baseless rumors circulating on the Internet claiming that ingredients in our products can cause health problems. We've gathered some of those rumors here so that you can easily get the facts about these false claims.

Rumor: The acidity of cola drinks is strong enough to dissolve teeth and bones.

Our Response: Almost all foods naturally contain a small amount of acid, including fruit juices, buttermilk, and soft drinks. In fact, cranberries, lemons and limes are examples of fruits that are more acidic than Coca-Cola. Acids, such as phosphoric and citric acid, add a pleasant tartness to a beverage. Phosphoric acid provides phosphorus which is an essential element of bones and tissues. None of these foods are acidic enough to harm our body tissues -- our own natural stomach acid is stronger.

Soaking something in a soft drink or rubbing something with a cloth soaked in a soft drink is not at all like drinking a soft drink. People don't hold soft drinks in their mouths for long periods of time, nor rub their teeth with fabric soaked in soft drinks, so it doesn't make sense to extend these possible affects to normal use of the product. Because our teeth are constantly bathed by saliva, which helps buffer the effects of acids from foods and beverages, the effect on tooth enamel is greatly reduced. In fact, the acids in most foods are neutralized to a large degree by the saliva in the mouth long before they reach the stomach.

Rumor: Phosphoric acid in Coca-Cola leads to osteoporosis.

Our Response: Phosphoric acid has been recognized as safe for use as a food additive by the health authorities in every country where Coca-Cola is sold.

And in fact, cola actually contains very little phosphorous -- only about 2% of total dietary phosphorus in the U.S. The vast majority -- 98% -- of dietary phosphorus in the U.S. comes from high-protein foods like meats, cheeses, nuts and grains. Further, among female teens, milk drinkers consume over four times more phosphorus than non-milk drinkers, regardless of soda consumption. The main causes of osteoporosis include insufficient calcium intake, hormonal changes and a lack of weight-bearing physical activity. The U.S. National Institutes of Health Consensus Development Conference on osteoporosis has also recently (2000) concurred that dietary phosphorus is not an important factor in osteoporosis for individuals consuming a balanced diet.

The National Osteoporosis Foundation recommends the following lifestyle strategies: a balanced diet rich in calcium and vitamin D, weight-bearing exercise, and a healthy lifestyle without smoking or excessive alcohol use.

Rumor: Caffeine in soft drinks is addictive.

Our Response: Caffeine is not addictive. Caffeine has had a long history in the food supply, consumed as long ago as 2700 B.C. Scientific evaluation of caffeine's physiological effects in light of the criteria for drug dependence clearly shows that caffeine is not similar to the use of drugs of abuse or dependence. It is true that some symptoms of withdrawal can be experienced by some people if caffeine consumption is stopped abruptly. When done gradually over a reasonable time period, most people do not even experience these symptoms. More importantly, the amount of caffeine in typical soft drinks is minimal. The amount in most cola beverages is about 1/3 of the caffeine in same amount of coffee and 1/2 of the amount found in tea.

Rumor: Caramel coloring produces genetic effects and causes cancer.

Our Response: Caramel color is a safe ingredient. Caramel color is made by heating sugar and other carbohydrates under controlled conditions. The FDA has declared caramel color to be a safe food ingredient. All ingredients used in soft drinks have been thoroughly tested and are recognized as safe for use by the health authorities of the countries in which they are sold.
So there ya go - and with that, I'm going to the fridge and cracking open another ice-cold can of Diet Coke and pouring it over ice in my favorite tall glass. ahhh the pause that refreshes!
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 10:38 AM   #22  
WW Moderator

Have you tried Stevia as a sweetener? I have heard of some people that cannot tolerate aspartame or sucralose do well with it. It's a plant, and they crush the leaves to make the powder. I bought a sweet-n-low size pack at the health food store for 10 cents. I didn't know it was so much sweeter than regular AS, so I put the whole pack on my oatmeal and it was waaayyyyy too sweet, to the point of bitter. I went back to the store and bought the liquid stevia and started squirting a few drops in smoothies and it works great. Maybe you can make some unsweetened tea and add stevia to it.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 01:49 PM   #23  

You said you don't like juice, but try half-and-half with carbonated water. Grape juice like that tastes just like "sparkling grape juice." Yum.

I cut my soda consumption by allowing myself one can (or one glass at a restaurant) per day. Now that they have the mini-10 oz. cans of Pepsi, it's Instant Willpower! :lol

Also, try Gatorade. It quenches thirst but has fewer calories per serving.

Definitely add water.

My husband gave up soda in January. The way he did it was "never say never." He said to himself, "If I really really want it, I can have it." For example, he isn't telling himself that he's giving up rootbeer floats for life. I did the same thing with vegetarianism. I told myself, "I'll eat way less meat, but if I really, really want it, I can have it." Then, when I thought about eating meat, I found that I didn't absolutely need meat. But letting myself know that I could have it if I really, really felt like it made it easier to pass on the meat. There is a lot less psychological pressure if you never say never.
Aquareggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 03:04 PM   #24  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquareggie
You said you don't like juice, but try half-and-half with carbonated water. Grape juice like that tastes just like "sparkling grape juice." Yum.

I cut my soda consumption by allowing myself one can (or one glass at a restaurant) per day. Now that they have the mini-10 oz. cans of Pepsi, it's Instant Willpower! :lol

Also, try Gatorade. It quenches thirst but has fewer calories per serving.

Definitely add water.
Weeeellll...Grape juice - actually ALL juice - is basically pure sugar. In fact, a cup of unsweetened grape juice has more calories - and sugar - than a cup of cola, according to Fitday.

Juice is typically regarded by many as a health food - basically you're better off eating the whole fruit, not only for calories (I'm assuming that since this IS a weight loss site, we are all interested in reducing our food intake!) but the satisfaction of fullness, the fiber and all the good stuff that is eliminated in the process of processing juice.

Actually those mini-cans have been around since the 70's...they come and go, according to popularity. Just FYI

Gatorade's a better choice, but I wouldn't call it optimal.

For some reason, lots of folks seem to feel that 'liquid calories' don't count. Rest assured, your body WILL absorb them as fat, so you need to take liquid, 'healthy' calories into account. Reducing or eliminating sugar from your diet as much as possible can't hurt either IMO.
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote