Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-11-2004, 08:29 PM   #1  

Default argh, gained 5 pounds!

I'm so disapointed with myself. I've been trying really hard, exercising every day, etc. and I still overeat, and end up gaining. I know it's not muscle because I measured myself. Part of it I think is the holidays, and the fact that I'm rather stressed out right now. I -might- not be eating enough, I've been trying to keep to 1000-1200 calories. I'm 14, 5' 6", and 176 pounds. I exercise for about 45 minutes several times a week(20-30 minuntes high-impact cardio, the rest stretching and situps/pushups etc.(not sure the technical name for those sorts of exercises)). I'm thinking I should boost my average calorie intake to 1400, is that about right? I eat every 3 hours or so 5-6 times a day, and try to include in each of those carbos, protein, and fruit/veggies. Any other suggestions for getting back on track? Thanks!
MeMyself&I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 09:09 PM   #2  

You definitely need at least 1400 calories, if not more, because you are still growing, especially your bones. 1000 calories is not enough, and your body is rebelling against it. You need to talk to some adults you trust about this, such as your parents and possibly your doctor. Good luck!
SeekInnerThinChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 09:43 PM   #3  

Thanks, I'll definitely up the calories, 1500-1600 should do. I've talked to my parents, but they kind of left me on my own, so I'm still trying to figure this out!
MeMyself&I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 10:26 PM   #4  
motivational guru wannabe

S/C/G: 205/205/185 by spring

Height: 5'4"

Default Keep your chin up!!!

Hey, you definitely need to up the calories some. I agree with SITC that your body is probably in stall mode, and you are still a growing young woman. It sounds like you are doing some really fantastic things, though. The excersing, and it sounds like it is a good variety, is going to be helping you out. But remember, if you are only eating 1200 calories and you are excercising off about 200-300 working out, your body is not getting enough to keep it going. Make the calories good things, and it sounds like you are. I can totally relate. I started dieting the beginning of March and the pounds wouldn't come off and I was really working out and watching the food. The demon scale from He-- wouldn't move!!!! Finally I added a few more good calories ( a piece of string cheese here, a hard boiled egg there, some extra veggies) and fiannly the scale moved.

It is a total bummer that your parents aren't playing a supportive role. But, there is a thread on this website for teens dieting. Check in there. You may find the support you need and some good suggestions. Hang in there and it will happen for you!!!! Go for it!!!!
boatingmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 10:27 PM   #5  

Good for you for taking this on all by yourself! I realized when I came to college that parents don't always teach their kids the best ways to eat and stay healthy. My mom always made healthy stuff for us, but she definitely didn't warn us about NOT eating so much of the harmful stuff. Its great that you're learning this now - you're saving yourself a lot of heartache for the future! How are you keeping track of your calories? One of the trickiest parts is getting the serving sizes just right.
emilyatau is offline   Reply With Quote