Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-05-2017, 09:21 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 229/172/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Not sure if my effort qualifies to be called 'workout', nevertheless...

...it might be useful for some!

Yes, me, someone who totally detests exercising has found joy with exercise eventually!!!

Just sharing my joy for the sake of others on the same boat as me to benefit from, if my post can...

I do not work hard even now, I take simple efforts and that is why I find my workout so enjoyable!

I am a beginner for workout in addition, I have only been exercising for the past 2 1/2 months -- and in that period, joined a group personal training club for twice a week/ 1/2 hr strength training session + 1 hr walk of 2.5 miles around the neighborhood each day!

I have no stamina for sustained exercise - be it the treadmill (which I fear the most) or even the ellipticals (thighs hurt).

Now I found out what activity I enjoy the most - ROWING!!! The other day I saw someone doing it, and since I am a 'top heavy' person with fat arms, big belly, etc, I wanted to try it! Once I was on it, I felt the pressure on my core (somewhat) and my thighs, my heartbeat was up and I felt satisfied after a small bit of workout on the machine.

Then I browsed a lot and learnt rowing is on a par with the treadmill and the ellipticals in being a #1 fat loss machine -- that it gives you a total body workout and burns a big bunch of calories in a short time!

So now, my schedule is to row (intervals) for about 15 min, and then do ellipticals for 15 min and do my daily 1 hr walk around the neighborhood in the evening for 1 hr.

The above schedule along with dieting creates/burns a calorie deficit of about 700 - 800 calories a day! I have been losing at the approx. rate of 1.5 lbs a week with this!

But I fear hitting a plateau eventually and I have a plan! I learnt that all that the body needs is about 7 min. of HIIT each day. Since I learnt that stair climbing / running on the stairs burns about 239 calories in 10 min. for a person of 200 lbs. weight, I plan to incorporate 5 min of running up and down the stairs should I hit the dreaded plateau!

So this is my current schedule for a workout and I started enjoying it from the variety and the short duration.

Would you call it a satisfactory program? Please add your comments.
BigNomore71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 223/207/140

Height: 5'3

I think it's a great plan. Rowing burns a ton of calories and it will really help you in your problem areas! Great job on finding something that works!
motherdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:23 PM   #3  

Rowing sounds like a perfect exercise. My hubby and I tried canoeing a couple of times, in the great outdoors, and found it to be way more work than I expected, which likely make it a perfect exercise regimne! Good that you found something you enjoy and that works.
LivesInSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:27 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

There is no such thing as a "fat burning machine." There is only your body, which burns fat. Glad to you know your'e willing to incorporate HIIT when you hit a plateau but unfortunately that's not all your body needs as you say.

What's important is that you're doing something that challenges you and that you enjoy enough to do consistently. It doesn't matter what it is and you will find that as you get fitter and can do more you will naturally be inclined to do more difficult things.

Don't fall into the trap of counting how many calories you burn. You will fall dead on your face when the math stops working in your favor. The truth is there is no way to truly calculate how many calories you are burning and it shouldn't matter. Just the mere thought of exercising until you burn x amount of calories may serve as motivation for a little while but when the numbers stop adding up you'll feel discouraged and may stop exercising. The body just doesn't work like that. Sometimes it takes a short amount of time and effort to lose weight and sometimes it takes a long time. Sometimes you may gain weight unexpectedly without numerical proof of doing anything wrong. Studies show that being consistent wins the game, not adding numbers. There are many exercises that you might find fun. If you're tying yourself to treadmills and ellipticals just because they show you numbers you're cheating yourself out of the true benefits of exercise.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote