Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-01-2017, 10:20 PM   #1  

Default If you have a desk job, (how) do you avoid sitting too much?

Someone else's post about jobs made me think of this question. If you have a desk job, do you manage to get up and walk around enough? If so, how do you do it? Are there some parts of your job that involve moving around, or do you walk around just to walk? Do you go to the bathroom a zillion times just to be able to walk around, or can you go other places? How do you keep from getting bored walking around? Do you worry that walking every hour like they recommend would keep you from doing as much work as your colleagues?

Have you ever asked for formal permission to make your job healthier, like asking for a standing desk or permission to take moving around breaks for your health? If you have any health problems related to not moving around enough, could breaks to walk around be required by disability laws do you think?
myst321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:51 PM   #2  
mjf

I had a desk job a couple of years ago. Whenever I needed to talk to someone, instead of using the phone, I walked to their office to talk to them in person, so that gave me an excuse to do more walking. I also used the stairs instead of the elevator, so I was walking up and down the stairs about 10-15 times a day. Depending on the type of job, this may or may not be possible.

My current job involves more standing so I don't have this problem anymore.
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:09 AM   #3  
Shorty getting fit

S/C/G: 162/132/119

I recently started a job that involves sitting all day. I work 10.5 hour shifts, 4 days a week. Fortunately I'm able to get up about every 1.5 hours, with two 15 min breaks, a lunch, and three 5 min walks/bathroom breaks. Sometimes I get into what I'm doing and forget to take the short 5 min breaks, but I'm going to make an effort to always take them.

Last edited by Chunkahlunkah; 07-02-2017 at 06:12 AM.
Chunkahlunkah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:41 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 212/209.6/160

Height: 5'5"

I work as an Accountant which entail sitting at a computer most of the day.

I try to print different pages to different printers on my floor (the 2nd floor), and the 1st floor.

If I need to talk to someone I will walk to their desk and ask the question.
ChelsieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:36 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 226.6/173.4/154

Height: 5'6"

I own a business. Here is my observation - my office staff always gains weight after working for me for awhile, my account managers who are out and about walking around all lose weight. I tell every new office person to get up every hour and walk around, go for a walk at lunch if they like and to keep on moving. They all get freezing cold all winter, even with the heat at 75, and I know it's because they are so sedentary.
msgooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:45 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 227/139.6/130

Height: 5' 3"

I worked at a desk at home for the past few years but now I have a studio desk job. I always walk places during my lunch hour. Plus I walk to and from work. It takes me 30 min to get there. I guess I don't avoid sitting too much. I stretch and squirm in my seat. I don't feel like it effects my weight or my fitness level since I get in real exercise some days afterwards and on the weekends.
circa83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:19 AM   #7  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Sadly, my desk job is in a very small office and so the normal tricks of walking to a bathroom on a different floor or visiting someone in their office isn't an option. Sometimes if it's slow and no one is around I'll do some exercises in the office, but usually someone else is around and I feel like I have to stay at my desk. I get most of my movement in after work. I wish my job were more active.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:47 PM   #8  
Gettin' Healthy!

S/C/G: 265/258/140

Height: 5'4"

I sit at a desk all day too and I usually try to get up and go to the bathroom just to do some movement. Sometimes I go to the next floor up to add in some steps. The problem is, I'm usually so caught up in what I'm doing that I forget to get up for a few hours.
Firecracker777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 04:55 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgooch View Post
I own a business. Here is my observation - my office staff always gains weight after working for me for awhile, my account managers who are out and about walking around all lose weight. I tell every new office person to get up every hour and walk around, go for a walk at lunch if they like and to keep on moving. They all get freezing cold all winter, even with the heat at 75, and I know it's because they are so sedentary.
I think that's great you encourage them to walk around. Do any of them use standing desks?

Just occurred to me that you are making a good business argument to other business owners to allow/encourage walking breaks- if they all do it, you could save on the heat bill !

Last edited by myst321; 07-08-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:02 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
Sadly, my desk job is in a very small office and so the normal tricks of walking to a bathroom on a different floor or visiting someone in their office isn't an option. Sometimes if it's slow and no one is around I'll do some exercises in the office, but usually someone else is around and I feel like I have to stay at my desk. I get most of my movement in after work. I wish my job were more active.
Yes, I know what you mean about feeling weird trying to exercise at work. I also work with only a few people in my building, so can't usually really walk far to talk to people.

My job is pretty independent- no one checking how much I get done each day as long as there's enough to report at the end of the year. So I can get up and walk around within the building. My office is on the first floor and there are 8 floors, so it is a decent break from sitting to go up the stairs, but I just feel weird once I realize people notice me doing it. I feel like it will seem to people like I have nothing better to do. Also, it is boring. They are cement fire escape stairs. Most people use the elevator.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one dealing with doing boring things like walking to a different printer or going to the bathroom just for the sake of being able to walk around.

Last edited by myst321; 07-08-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:12 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecracker777 View Post
I sit at a desk all day too and I usually try to get up and go to the bathroom just to do some movement. Sometimes I go to the next floor up to add in some steps. The problem is, I'm usually so caught up in what I'm doing that I forget to get up for a few hours.
Hi Firecracker,
Yes, I know what you mean about getting too caught up in what you're doing. I often feel that way too. I feel pulled in both directions because when I get caught up in what I'm doing it seems good that I'm getting something accomplished and I always feel like I should be accomplishing more with my job. I do reasonably well with my job but there are so many different things that are relevant to learn in my job and I'm not the type of person who quickly checks things off compared to a lot of people I work with.

So it is difficult to always believe it is good to interrupt my thought flow to get up to do another boring bathroom run.

Last edited by myst321; 07-08-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:09 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I am retired, but I worked at desk jobs for 47 years. When I was single, I rode public transportation and I got exercise every day going to and from work, walking from the bus stop. I also belonged to a gym and went several times a week, and socialized at the dance clubs, dancing the night away. After getting married, many things changed. Still working, but driving a car instead of riding the bus. Gym membership became too expensive, no time to go there anyway, and no more dancing. That's when my weight and health took a turn for the worst.

Any employer I ever had did not appreciate the employees walking around all day, but expected them to be at their work station working. This makes it necessary to find your own ways to get exercise on your own time. Take advantage of your time to and from work. If you do drive to work, park as far away from work as is feasible, and spend any breaks you get outside walking, if possible. If you really want to do something, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 07-13-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:33 AM   #13  

Instead of getting a ride to work, I usually walk to and fro. I work on the 36th floor of a building, but I usually go up/down 4-5 levels before taking the elevator. I also tend to take work home so I got myself a standing desk where I could use the computer or write while standing. It helps!
Keiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:51 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 242/220/142

Height: 5' 5"

I have a standing desk now and love it! I've also brought a resistance band and an 8 lb weight I keep at my desk to get a few reps in while I'm on a call etc. at first I felt weird about it but now I've seen a couple other people bring them in!

Another thing I do - since I drink so much water and use the ladies room a lot lol - is do 10 wall push ups and 10 squats each time I go into the stall!

By the end of the day I might have 50-60 squats in.

Of course going outside and taking a quick walk on break is always good- get your vitamin D and refresh yourself. High stress is no help to weight loss so I always try to get outside at least once, even if I just walk to my car and back or around the building.

MinnieSkinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:57 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 172.6/172.6/135

Height: 5'4"

I'm a teacher so I move all day. Recently I heard about a teacher who had under desk stationary bikes installed in her class to help with fidgety children (I think this is brilliant out of the box thinking). If getting up and walking around isn't an option - what about getting one of these. I've seen some inexpensive ones listed on-line. They also make those ball chair things that force you to work your core while sitting.

Good luck adding movement into your day!
Salix is offline   Reply With Quote