Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-11-2014, 04:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 310/*look*/140

Height: 5'9

Default Post of shame

Hello dears and dolls. It's been too long. Today I shake myself free of the apathy (or whatever this funk is) that I've allowed myself to slip into, or base jump rather. In early September I had reached a fancy 100lbs lost...as of today I've re-gained a frightening fifty of those pounds. In just three months. I felt so committed when last I lingered on these boards, my head is spinning, what went wrong? Certainly much has happened, but when did the precise moment of "letting go" occur? Although I don't understand it, I own the responsibility of, at some point, making that decision to give up control, and now I am taking it back, once again. My faith in myself admittedly diminished, I need to forgive myself and refuse to defined by my mistakes. I do struggle with not understanding why I changed course so abruptly and with such reckless abandon. Regardless, my plan to re-immerse myself in this goal commences today, with increasing physical activity and vegetable consumption, and decreasing unhealthy carbs/sugar. I need to find a good accountability or weekly weigh-in group here on 3FC. any recommendations? Any fresh resources, ideas, inspirational stories and advice you might be able to share welcome!
Lecomtes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 04:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Welcome back! I know you're feeling pretty crummy about this regain but you're beating yourself up over this big time. Regain is an unfortunate side effect of diets so don't jump back into one of those. You haven't let yourself go or lost control of anything, you just have diet whiplash!

Good luck and please be kind to yourself!
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:42 PM   #3  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Welcome back and please don't feel any shame! I think you should be proud of yourself that you're getting back on track today.

Good luck with your goals and keep posting so we can encourage you along the way!
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:49 PM   #4  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Save the shame for something actually...you know... shameful. Like being purposely mean to other people, stealing the retirement funds of your employees, or watching NASCAR (I kid, NASCAR fans, I kid.)

Welcome back in joy and health and a return to sanity!

I believe regain is an unfortunate side effect of returning to bad habits when our new habits (whatever they were) somehow failed us because they weren't quite right for us long-term (or we never really internalized them, we just wore them briefly like a Halloween costume, and then we tossed them aside when they started smelling funky, as costumes always do).

That's ok, you can retool your approach and find a style of eating that WILL work for you long-term.

And I agree with Wannabeskinny on being kind to yourself -- always good advice!

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 12-11-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:35 PM   #5  
300+ Chick

Hi ...I see you as a winner...winners never quit!!You got courage on getting back on the weight loss wagon. You can do this...I have faith in you!! 50 Lbs gain is not bad at all....it could been more, and you caught it at the right time...especially this time of year!!

So keep your chin up....Stay strong!! That 50 pounds gain will be gone soon...You got that power!!! Go..go..go.. will be looking forward to your progress!!
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:42 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 174/145.6/130-117

Height: 5feet1

Welcome back! I also gained back half of what I lost. Getting back on the train is hard, but you have done that so you win. Also, you are a great writer. I love how you phrase your posts! Join us in the Daily Accountability thread!
Fluffypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:18 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

I see regain as rebellion: partly rebellion against being "good" all the time, but mostly rebellion against self-deprivation. In my experience, a sense of self-deprivation tends to snowball over time, finally reaching that critical mass you call "letting go."

The solution, IMO, is to find a way of eating that minimizes your sense of deprivation. For me, this means large breakfasts, moderate lunches, small dinners, white wine with most dinners, no worry about macronutrients beyond a reasonably healthy balance, and occasional planned binges. For you it might be something completely different.

Good luck and welcome back!

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:16 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Freelance your eating day looks just like mine except I don't drink much wine!

Lecomtes, please don't publicly shame yourself. Shame is not a great motivator.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:47 AM   #9  
kosherveganchick

S/C/G: 178/112/108

Height: 5'1"

Two words.. two words of understanding, fellowship, recovery and healing. It is not about will power, or shame or self esteem. Examine the soul. Stand in the light..declare I am an addict. I have a disease. I must safeguard my health lest this disease kills me.
OVEREATERS ANOMYNOUS. Time for the 12 steps.
lucindaarrowspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 12:28 PM   #10  
Love Thyself

S/C/G: 231/199/165

Height: 5'7"

I'm there myself. I recently regained alot of weight that I had lost & trying to start over once again...

I think not understanding why you could go so off course is really difficult. I was doing so good and then boom just fell apart. I think honestly it isn't ever just one big thing that happens but alot of little things that add up. So its hard to notice that you are slipping until you have already hit rock bottom.

I think controlling those little slipups and not letting them carry us into worse mistakes is the goal.

You can do it. Posting and journaling really help me alot.
moonkissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 05:19 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 294/ticker/240

Height: 6' 4"

I'd look at it differently, you have lost 50 lbs. Way more than many manage to do, ever. You had a little stumble there but get back on the horse!
superfluous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 10:18 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 178/156/150

Height: 5'8

Welcome back to the forum!
I'm in the same boat too- this is my first day back in a while. I've come back a couple of times just to fall off the wagon once again after a day or two of trying.
I've gained more weight than I lost, but I realize this happens to a lot of people. Making myself feel guilty only makes things worse.

But here's to a new start for both of us! Let's focus on the hope and the dedication rather than the slip ups!
RetroRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 12:03 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 210/185/137

Height: 5'8"

Welcome back!

Weight loss isn't linear and understand why you regained is important to helping you succeed in the future. I don't know anyone who doesn't fail at least a few times before finally finding something that works for them. Identify what changed or "went wrong" and learn from your mistakes. It's a process.

Also, Mrs. Snark, I laughed so hard at your NASCAR comment.
gymrat05 is offline   Reply With Quote