Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-22-2014, 12:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: Start:245 Current:160

Height: 5'5.5

Default Do you tell people?

Just curious. After losing the weight did you take down all of your fat photos off the shelves and off social media or leave them up? If you meet new people do you tell them you use to be fat or to what extent you use to be fat? If you haven't lost the weight yet what do you plan to do?
Olly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:23 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Interesting question, I haven't lost all the weight yet but I don't think I will go out of my way to hide who I was. I've worked very hard to change my self esteem over the last few months and now I don't wince when I look at old photos of myself or even new photos. I am capable of finding beauty within all my photos even when those photos used to make me cry. I feel no shame in being fat, it is a symptom of my eating disorder and I did try to hide that for many years. But now I don't feel that way anymore, in fact I'm a lot more open now about my eating disorder.

No, I will not hide my past, I won't go to great lengths to reveal it anymore than I go to great lengths to tell people about other things I used to do/be. It is what it is, I'm not ashamed of it.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:20 AM   #3  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I don't hide my weights throughout the years, and if the topic of weight comes up with new people, I'm pretty forthright about my whole life experience with food and weight (if it is an appropriate time for the discussion).

It's up for discussion same as anything else. I've also had cancer. I've also had lots of dogs and cats and fish through my life. And a crappy boyfriend or two. It's all just part of my history and who I am.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:40 AM   #4  

S/C/G: H~285... 260/ticker/155

Height: 5'6"

I don't hide anything, but I don't go out of my way to broadcast. It kind of depends on the day and my mood as far as what I share...

I would never hide old pictures bc that is who I am/was. Those old pictures are memories with my son and husband and friends... And they serve as an important "never again" reminder.

On Facebook, there is that whole "Throwback Thursday" thing where people post old pictures. It is a little shocking when a friend/family member throws up an old picture where I looked awful... But now I can see it and remember that I don't look like that anymore...
Beka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 02:37 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 244/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

I won't hide anything more than I typically would.. I fully admit to hiding more unflattering photos of me from my Facebook timeline, but there are plenty of photos up there that do show me and all. I don't plan to remove them when I drop the weight. I'll do the same with photos when I'm thinner too, unflattering ones likely won't go up.

That being said, I also don't plan to tell people out of nowhere I use to be bigger or anything like that. If they ask I'll tell them the truth, but other than that I'll keep it to myself.
sunarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:59 PM   #6  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I tell them. It's an exciting and fun story.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:16 PM   #7  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

Nope. If I could help it, I'd never tell anyone anything about how I eat, what I weigh, if I'm losing weight, nothing. It's more trouble than it's worth, honestly.

I'd leave the pictures. Those are still pictures of you doing things and being with people who are important to you. Regardless of your weight, they're pieces of your experience, just like the newer pictures will be. I'd treat them just like any other photos.
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 03:35 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 294/ticker/240

Height: 6' 4"

No, I don't tell anyone unless someone asks. I don't feel I've lost enough to tell a story, anyway. Maybe when my loss total exceeds 50 lbs?
superfluous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 02:48 PM   #9  
I Can & I Will!

S/C/G: 400 S / Ticker C / 160 G

Height: 5'7

No, I've left my fatty me pictures up in my home as a reminder of how hard I worked, but also because of the memories they hold. I don't want to put away those wonderful memories just because I was fat in the photo. As for social media I have never posted a photo of myself on FB or anywhere else online until this past month. Actually other than my 2 closest friends on FB who I texted a picture to no one had ever seen a picture of me before. Posting pictures was a reminder of my fat self and a no-no. I already saw myself in the mirror everyday. I didn't need a reminder online too. So I've always posted photos of my chihuahua, Isis, or my kitty, Gypsy, instead.

I don't see a need to tell new people I meet that I was much more overweight before. It's none of their business and it's in the past. When I fully lose the rest of my weight I still have no intention of telling new people.
Jesslan Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 03:32 PM   #10  

I'm not at my thinnest right now, but when I have been a healthy weight, I definitely don't hide that I was bigger. I admit I do get a little uncomfortable with the weights I was post pregnancies, because for me that was really big, but like the over weight me of 160-170, that's basically where I was most of my life, so people know, there's no hiding it.

I don't bring it up though because I don't feel like taking about it over and over..example:

Last year I lost the weight after my last baby before getting pregnant again. I was eating clean and running plus weights and I was *just* getting into weight lifting, I just started dead lifts ect and was still really learning about effective and proper weight lifting, not just going to the gym and "doing weights"...anyway, someone at a party that had met me a few previous times (she is obese) asked me "what is your secret?" Literally she asked that but I think she was purposely phrasing it that way, you know how its the classic question, I think she was being funny while asking how I lost the weight. I told her running and clean eating. Then she started to review her diet with me. And its like "I buy the weight watchers muffins, is that ok?"...frankly she needed a complete lesson in nutrition, which required more time than I had. I was polite and answered her questions but its draining.

Other people, family, friends, they see the results and want advice and your opinion, they want to have a personal trainer and chef (not really to cook but go over their meals with). After first it was fun, but it got really old. Because the people that were actually going to lose weight, did it without me "guiding" them. The ones that wanted me to do everything for them, never followed through. After a while, and people in my life have watched me lose a lot of baby weight very fast 3 times, it got annoying being the go to person...ONLY because most of them didn't really want to follow the plan I did, which is really just clean whole food eating and exercise, they kind of wanted me to "ok" what they wanted to do to lose weight...Like "oh but I can have some prepackaged meals and still lose right?"....And I just got tired of explaining why it didn't work for me. It might work for them, but not me....anyway, if I can avoid it, I do because I feel like a broken record answering the same questions over and over to people that never actually put in the personal effort to lose weight.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:01 AM   #11  
Counting bites!

S/C/G: 282/255/130

Height: 5'5"

I wont be able to hide that I was fat because that means taking down all the pictures of me at my wedding, and with my kids as babies and toddlers.

I wouldn't care if I replaced the pictures of fat me and DH while we were dating. I imagine that we'd replace those anyway because time has and is marching on.
I don't take a lot of pictures of myself right now, which does make me sad when I think about it. I only have 1 picture of myself pregnant with my son and that was taken the night we went to the hospital to have him!
My daughter has a lot more in utero snaps, but none where it's obvious I am pregnant; they were more incidental photos taken at early stages of my pregnancy. This is something I really regret, not having the confidence to have photos taken of me while I was pregnant.

DH and I are planning on renewing our vows in the next 10 years, so I don't worry so much about the handful of embarrassing wedding photos; I'll have new ones taken with my hot new bod! Lol!

I don't think I'd replace anything on facebook. I think destroying and replacing photos of our fat selves just plays into society's belief that it's okay to fat shame.
izzyboomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:28 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 432/180/200

Height: 5'11

Somehow i am now more comfortable in having my before pictures posted vs before my WOE. Still have my day 1 before pictures pixelated as my wallpaper and carry them around wallet size and laminated.

Only my wife knew of my WOE and i never initiated or shared it with anyone.
TheSatinPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote