Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-21-2014, 04:37 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Well it's been confirmed that I have the H Pylori bacteria and am now on a heavy duty 2 week regime of antibiotics. It seems like I have had silent reflux for a while but hopefully this will eradicate the need for long term dietary restrictions. I do not have gerd.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:17 PM   #17  
Old Cackler

SOOOO glad you have an answer! and, even better, a treatment. hope this does the trick - and quickly.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:16 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 244/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

Glad you got an answer for what it was, and it's something treatable Sending get well wishes your way.
sunarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:23 PM   #19  
Motorin'

I had an upper endoscopy (tube with a camera on the end of it down my throat) last year in April and was diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus. I will continue to have to get upper endoscopys on a regularly basis to monitor my esophagus and to watch for cancer. I've had acid reflux for years and I have been on several medications and still haven't found one that works for me. I have all kinds of throat issues. I had the upper endoscopy for several reasons, but two major reasons were to look at the condition of my esophagus and also to put a balloon in my throat and open it up to normal size because it was very narrow and I was having major issues with swallowing and choking on food a lot. It worked for a little while and then I had to have the procedure done again. I'm pretty much back to square one after two balloon procedures. They only seemed to help for a little while. During the upper endoscopy they also found that I had a sliding hiatal hernia. I also have had an Esophageal PH Monitor (a thin catheter wire down my nose/throat) for 24 hours to monitor how much is coming backup, how much of that is bile and how much is acid and several other things.

I have not been able to find any certain food/drink that triggers my acid reflux. It varies all the time. I've done the food diary. For example, today all I had was water and cheese sticks until my first meal. From my first glass of water my throat was burning. I have water and cheese sticks quite often but for some reason today it was worse than it's been in a long time.

Last edited by Zabela; 10-22-2014 at 10:27 PM.
Zabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 06:58 AM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabela View Post
I had an upper endoscopy (tube with a camera on the end of it down my throat) last year in April and was diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus. I will continue to have to get upper endoscopys on a regularly basis to monitor my esophagus and to watch for cancer. I've had acid reflux for years and I have been on several medications and still haven't found one that works for me. I have all kinds of throat issues. I had the upper endoscopy for several reasons, but two major reasons were to look at the condition of my esophagus and also to put a balloon in my throat and open it up to normal size because it was very narrow and I was having major issues with swallowing and choking on food a lot. It worked for a little while and then I had to have the procedure done again. I'm pretty much back to square one after two balloon procedures. They only seemed to help for a little while. During the upper endoscopy they also found that I had a sliding hiatal hernia. I also have had an Esophageal PH Monitor (a thin catheter wire down my nose/throat) for 24 hours to monitor how much is coming backup, how much of that is bile and how much is acid and several other things.

I have not been able to find any certain food/drink that triggers my acid reflux. It varies all the time. I've done the food diary. For example, today all I had was water and cheese sticks until my first meal. From my first glass of water my throat was burning. I have water and cheese sticks quite often but for some reason today it was worse than it's been in a long time.
I'm so sorry to hear about these troubles. That doesn't sound like fun at all. I hope you find the relief you seek soon! I'm not one to toot diet regimens, but I've heard that a paleo style diet really helps GERD.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:14 PM   #21  
Motorin'

Thank you for the kind words and suggestion. I have heard of the Paleo diet but know nothing about it. I will google it.
Zabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 03:32 PM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabela View Post
Thank you for the kind words and suggestion. I have heard of the Paleo diet but know nothing about it. I will google it.
It is a pretty drastic dietary undertaking. It is based on eating the way our paleolithic ancestors ate. Meat, vegetables and.... not much else unfortunately. It's all the rage now. You have to stop eating startchy vegetables like potatoes and corn, and eat just meat and non-starchy vegetables either. No legumes like beans and peanuts, but you can eat other kinds of nuts. Absolutely NO GRAINS, no wheat, rice, not even quinoa.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:38 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

My husband has pretty bad acid problems, but whenever he has lost weight they have subsided. So it's possible that as you continue to lose weight, things will eventually get better and you may even be able to have some of the same foods again. Or maybe not. I guess it depends on your body and how it reacts.

Is decaf coffee okay? Is black tea okay? Because green tea might not be your only replacement option. If it's caffiene you're after, white tea is higher in caffiene than green tea but also more expensive. If it's richness you're after, black tea might be better and also has caffiene of course.

Personally I can't have tea in the morning because it makes me feel sick, or more than a little bit of coffee at any time during the day because of my heart problems (I get palpitations, and it seems it might be for the tannins or something). So there are definitely some strong chemicals in both, if they can have those effects!
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:42 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
Well it's been confirmed that I have the H Pylori bacteria and am now on a heavy duty 2 week regime of antibiotics. It seems like I have had silent reflux for a while but hopefully this will eradicate the need for long term dietary restrictions. I do not have gerd.
Oh, I missed this comment before.
This is great, since it sounds easily solveable. I'd personally just make sure to have lots of probiotics after the course of antibiotics is done, since the antibiotics can wreak havoc on my system (I have to take huge doses sometimes because of my heart problems).
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:39 AM   #25  

Quote:
Originally Posted by faiora View Post
Oh, I missed this comment before.
This is great, since it sounds easily solveable. I'd personally just make sure to have lots of probiotics after the course of antibiotics is done, since the antibiotics can wreak havoc on my system (I have to take huge doses sometimes because of my heart problems).
Yes I thought about that, I need my gut bacteria!