Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-20-2014, 02:06 PM   #16  
diamondgeog

It's remarkable how many times I am hungry now because I haven't drank enough water. I have a system at work. But weekends sometimes I forget and I feel hungry. 9 out of 10 times I hadn't had enough.

I drink some and the hunger usually goes away.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:14 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 210/185/137

Height: 5'8"

I did a strict paleo diet a few years ago with about a serving a fruit a day and a moderate amount of starchy veggies. Same idea, all whole foods, I lost about 4 lbs in the first few weeks and then stalled and then started gaining again. I counted calories at the same time to see if I was intaking too much but I definitely wasn't and started driving myself crazy. For some reason I just didn't do well this way.
gymrat05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:52 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 172.6/152.4/145

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Going grain/sugar free doesn't lead to weight loss for me unless I actively restrict intake at the same time. For me, it's all about the calories and going grain free/sugar free won't automatically lead to a deficit.

I think it's because I don't have a sweet tooth, I've got a umami tooth. So, give me a well-seasoned piece of chicken or steak, or cheese, and I can easily over consume. Easily.

You know how some people can't stop at a serving of ice cream or candy? Well, that's me with protein. I have to be very careful or I am at the refrigerator jamming in multiple pieces of grilled chicken breast, followed by multiple pieces of string cheese, feeling so hungry and unable to satiate it.

Sometimes I feel like the only person in the world who gains weight on low-carb diets. For me, I do best with a healthy moderate diet in which all food groups are represented.
Madriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:13 PM   #19  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

Very interesting thread, I enjoyed reading it.

Certain foods definitely cause increase cravings for me, finding which foods do that for you is important, even if it a mental trigger, like if I eat something I consider a treat when I'm on plan that can sometimes make my mind think "hey, we're off plan let's get some chips..." Not really a physical craving, or maybe a physical craving brought on by an emotional craving.

Anyway, I constantly tweak and adjust my plan on my journey to goal, eating and exercise, personally, I don't think there is one plan that will get me to where I want to be and keep me there, except the kelijpa plan... I do a fair amount of exercise because it makes me feel good but don't want to get obsessive about it. If it takes too long I end up skipping it, so I'm careful about that now.

As far as your chili seasoning having wheat and sugar, I find it very annoying the things that have added sugar, like dry roasted peanuts, I have noticed one store brand is the only one in my area that doesn't add sugar, I like to use them to make my peanut butter sometimes, Planters and others all have added sugar.

We really have to read labels anymore, not just for nutritional information, but the ingredients. Best of luck to you, wishing you continued success

I thought it was interesting that my spellcheck changed nutritional to mutational...
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:53 PM   #20  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I have such a ******ed amount to go to goal, I don't count, but I can tell you that every time I start eating anything other than vegetables and fruits and meat, I stop dead on the scale. Even if the calories are comparable or less.

I however have abused my system so badly for the past decade I've most likely screwed up my pancreas for life. Not to say that I don't watch my calories or my other macros, I do. But I need to keep the sugar intake really, really low.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:49 PM   #21  

I eat junk food. Lots of junk food. Chips, candy, soda, cookies, ice cream, etc. I also eat some healthy meals. I eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full. Yes, sometimes I am not hungry and my mouth wants something to munch on (usually sugar). It's not a strong urge and it passes. I've been eating this way for a few weeks and I've never felt happier or saner- plus I've been losing about five pounds per week. There are a lot of people here who think you have to "eat clean" (which is ultimately a meaningless statement) to lose weight and that some foods have the power to make you fat. I just thought I'd toss myself in as an example of how that's not necessarily the case.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:25 PM   #22  
Starting over sucks.

While I totally agree that you can eat just about anything and lose weight, I take issue with "eating clean" being a meaningless statement (although it's often misconstrued).

From a strict weight loss and nothing else perspective, CICO works really well. I think however if you're looking for better health some attention needs to be paid to the quality of what you're eating. I think that's where a lot of the divide and some of the more heated arguments come from on this site and others. Most of us will agree that weight loss is a highly personal thing and numerous things work (I myself borrow strategies from everything from calorie counting to atkins, to even IP). Health is a different marker - and everyone's standards for that are different, but I'm satisfied with the research out there that proves that too much processed food and a reliance on grains for carbohydrates instead of vegetables and fruits will do some damage in the long run.

No individual food has the power to make you fat, but your health is a very different matter.

Locke, I'm glad you've found a way to eat that makes you happy and that you're losing. Being able to eat intuitively and stop when you're full is such a huge battle, one that I only very recently won. For me it had to be extremely low carb.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:27 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
There are a lot of people here who think you have to "eat clean" (which is ultimately a meaningless statement) to lose weight and that some foods have the power to make you fat. I just thought I'd toss myself in as an example of how that's not necessarily the case.
Great to hear your perspective, Locke. My experience parallels yours. I can eat whatever I want and lose weight as long as I'm at a calorie deficit. I also don't experience any noticeable difference in satiety whether I eat carbs, fats or protein. I also find that a day without grains leaves me singularly dissatisfied.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:30 PM   #24  
Starting over sucks.

Just out of curiosity: Was your eating fairly balanced and healthy prior to weight loss? Was it simply a matter of cutting calories or did you find that you had to significantly alter any other habits?

I just wonder if people have more success with moderation if there was more balance in their prior habits. (Mine weren't balanced at all).
Old 03-25-2014, 03:42 PM   #25  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiojane View Post
While I totally agree that you can eat just about anything and lose weight, I take issue with "eating clean" being a meaningless statement (although it's often misconstrued).
By meaningless I am stating that there is no fixed meaning. For some people "clean eating" is a low carb whole foods diet without starchy vegetables. To others this means a diet of all raw fruits and vegetables. There is no fixed meaning for the term; it varies by the individual. That's one reason why I don't like that term. Another is that it dichotomizes food- it divides foods into two groups- clean and unclean. I am a person who has issues with self esteem and eating- how do you think it makes me feel when I eat an "unclean" or "dirty" food? Not good. That's what I'm trying to get away from.

I am a religious studies graduate student- human beings have a long history of dividing foods into categories of clean and unclean. To imbue some foods with the property of cleanliness (and the attendant moral superiority) and others with the opposite is a modern secular form of superstition that I choose not to participate in. I understand how this can be useful when you are trying to eat healthier but I choose to take a more nuanced approach to human nutrition.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:43 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 172.6/152.4/145

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
Great to hear your perspective, Locke. My experience parallels yours. I can eat whatever I want and lose weight as long as I'm at a calorie deficit. I also don't experience any noticeable difference in satiety whether I eat carbs, fats or protein. I also find that a day without grains leaves me singularly dissatisfied.

F.
This entire post is my experience as well. Especially the bolded.
Madriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:17 PM   #27  
Starting over sucks.

Interesting. I have major issues with both self esteem and food, and it never occurred to me to make that connection. I don't see it as "dirty" in a shaming connotation, I suppose. I just see it as another word for healthy or not polluting the body. Keep in mind a lot of religious food restrictions had a lot to do with health concerns due to spoilage, disease and storage at the time (pork is a good example).

I guess what I'm saying is I see your point - but for me, I feel like more damage was done when I believed that all food was "okay". This is not to say that I don't indulge, but my issues with food and self esteem have improved immensely now that I've segregated my food, so to speak. I can have the knowledge that cheesecake is not doing me any favors, and armed with that knowledge indulge occasionally without shame or concern. Before I would have ate it every day for a week, and even though I was hitting some moderation or caloric target, I would have gained, felt low, etc and the shame would come from me believing I was doomed to be fat.

It's really fascinating how all the facets come together for different people.

Last edited by Radiojane; 03-25-2014 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:45 PM   #28  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

I find that I have less cravings or "head hunger" when I do lower carb/sugar....If I hit below 150 carbs per day I can achieve that, so I'm not going super low...Back when I was really into LC and ketosis, several years back now, I lost the most weight that way BUT i felt exhausted, dizzy and just weird throughout my body and gradually fell into a higher carb way of eating again....I can control my weight through calorie counting and hard exercise BUT I tend to actually lose if I focus on both calories AND carbs....Some days I have the willpower to do that and some days it's just mentally exhausting...

My weight has stalled out for a very long time...I guess you could call it maintaining...because I haven't figured out a way to win that battle of willpower and impulsively eating...
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:58 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiojane View Post
Just out of curiosity: Was your eating fairly balanced and healthy prior to weight loss? Was it simply a matter of cutting calories or did you find that you had to significantly alter any other habits?

I just wonder if people have more success with moderation if there was more balance in their prior habits. (Mine weren't balanced at all).
Not sure if the question was directed at me, but I'll answer anyway. Left to my own devices I'm anything but balanced. I used to have (and occasionally still have) epic binges -- I'm talking 3,000+ calories of pure carbs/fat in one sitting. I have an enormous capacity to overeat.

Even so, I saw no reason to eliminate any foods when losing weight. I'd always lost weight successfully on a 1,500-calorie diet, so this time around I did the same thing. The only difference, and probably the reason I've been able to maintain my weight loss for the first time ever, is that I committed to exercising 4 times per week.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:21 AM   #30  
diamondgeog

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post

F.
I think there is a vitally important aspect to this that needs to be pointed out. Believe it or not I am NOW more or less this way as well. Not with grains, but with the filling full part. But I am all about the low carb, whole foods, no grains, carbs from non-starchy veggies. What gives?

Well when I was high carb low fat all the time lots of junk foods, potatoes, bread, pasta my metabolism was fundamentally different. I had insulin in my system I am sure 24 hours a day. I could have a fast food meal or huge meal at a Mexican restaurant and I would be ravenously hungry a couple of hours later. My hunger was a nightmare.

By changing my way of eating I changed my metabolism and my biology at the cellular level. I am now 'fat adapted'. I.e. my body uses my fat for fuel. It tends to burn calories now not store them. My inuslin is at much lower levels.

So when I occasionally have a huge Mexican meal. Same exact meal as before. It fills me up for 6,7,8 hours or more. My body is operating well now instead of poorly.

So if you are very overweight like I was and have impaired your metabolism and the functioning of your body, you may have to 'eat clean' to get it working correctly again. Some people may never ever reset and achieve their goals unless they do 'clean eat' for sometime.

I can have five fries now and be fine. Carbs have lost their power over me. But I am sure if I went back to my old ways for a length of time, they would regain their power as my body started operating poorly again.

For others this may not be necessary to eat clean. But I love the food on 'eating clean' and the results have been awesome for me. And while I can eat carbs..if I eat grains now I feel awful and my back pain comes back if it is corn.

Freelance you put your high weight at 195 at 5'11". I am 5'9" (and a half :-)). I was at 340 at one point. I compromised my body way more than you ever did. So I am coming from a very obese person perspective. My body was so messed up that if I did not do low carb high fat I never would have gotten back to health, for me.

I am not asking you to get to 300 or so to try this, of course. But if you did, you might find that carbs have a very different relationship to you and do make you ravenously hungry.

And you may not be as sensitive to insulin as I am. But telling me with insulin sensitivity in my family to not focus on carbs...would have been to sentence me to no health for the rest of my life. But sensitivity varies.

As an added aside Freelance. Just as I have turned my body into being less sensitive to carbs, it can go the other way. This is what happens to unfortunately way too many people. Goodness forbid, but if you ever did get to a certain weight, you might find that you've made yourself more sensitive to carbs as you would probably be producing more insulin throughout the day. Let us hope you and everyone else who doesn't have that now, never finds out.

Last edited by diamondgeog; 03-26-2014 at 11:56 AM.