Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #1  
BELIEVE

S/C/G: 215/---/145

Height: 5'8

Question IUDs and Weight Loss, Is it Possible? Suggestions?

Okay, so I've done some research on the matter, and it seems to go both ways. So I guess I'm looking for some people to give me some honest answers in order for me to make an honest decision. I am pretty convinced on getting the Marina IUD. In fact, I have an appointment scheduled for next month. It looks like a convenient option as I am looking for something to regulate my heavy flow more so than a birth control option itself. I have heard negatives about pills, shots, etc. and my doc said weight loss is still very possible on this form of birth control. But stuff I read on the internet seems to say otherwise. I would be willing to tough it out until December or something so I could get to a point where I'd only have 30 or so lbs to go...but I don't want to screw myself over. I'm a university student so once I get something put in I'd pretty much be stuck with it until next summer, maybe longer (and I certainly can't afford to gain weight). Should I pass on the IUD? Hold off until all the weight gets off? Or is it all myths... If it is true, then are there any forms of birth control that can regulate time of the month as well as allow weight loss/eventual maintenance with few side effects? Sorry, I know this was long, I just can't afford and mistakes here. Thanks in advance!
KillerBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

Have you given birth at least once? That is kind of a requirement.

You can gain, but for me, the gain was minimal. You can lose....I am at 60+ and still going.

The real question is, are you prepared for the possible side effects....like decrease sex drive, cysts that become more prevalent, weird vaginal burning that comes and goes with no explanation (not STD or infections) and so on. Frankly, I wish I would have researched it more. Had I known then what I know now, I would have never gotten it. That being said, everyone has different experiences.
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:56 PM   #3  
beautiful bright soul :)

S/C/G: 296 / 171 / 150

I just want to hear what others have to say.
I've read all sorts of stories, which has led me to conclude that it may simply depend on the individual.
belovedspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:33 AM   #4  
BELIEVE

Nope, and I'm only 19 so not anytime in the foreseeable future either. There are THAT many side effects....haha well I'm just about to say forget it if that's all others have to say. I'd rather keep my side effects and heavy flow compared to all that...I guess my question would be are there any alternatives? Seems like everything else that involves hormones has some really adverse side effects. I'm willing to consider just about anything as my time of the month issues have a pretty harsh impact on my life. That said, losing weight is more important to me now though so...I guess I could tough it out for now. But something would be better than nothing.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 200+/160.8/135

Height: 5'5.5

KillerBee I have it and love it. I've had it for almost 4 years now(I have the 5 year one) and I plan on getting another one after I'm done with this one! I've lost 50lbs while on it and haven't experienced any major side effects. I think it might make losing weight a little harder, but obviously its still possible and for me this has been the easiest and most effective at regulating TOM for me. (Don't know if it matters but I'm 25 and have never had kids and have tried the pill and the patch as well, both of which really messed with my hormones in a negative way and actually made TOM worse). Good luck!
Dottington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 210/163/145

Height: 5'51/2"

I have had a Mirena IUD for close to 5 years...I am now 50 years old I didn't get it for birth control reasons but to control peri-menopause isssues. I started ideal protein 9 weeks ago, I am down 45 pounds, I went from size 18 to 8. I hadn't tried losing weight with any seriousness in the last five years but when I did try I didn't have a problem - the problem was always falling back to old bad habits. I have no side effects with the IUD, no periods for 5 years, no decrease in sex drive (weight loss has improved it frankly), no burning no infections, every person has different experiences. But having a background of working in doctors offices for years I have seen many more people happy with the results with Mirena than not.
nomadswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #7  
Melissa

Height: 5'9''

I had the 10 year IUD for a few years and much prefer it over all other forms of birth control I had used. I lost about 30 pounds with it in, no negative side affects aside from period cramps being a bit more uncomfortable. I had it taken out because my husband and I were ready for baby #1 and I plan on getting another one as soon as my doctor gives the postpartum ok. I do know other people that had trouble with theirs, so like anything it's a person by person thing.
Bikini Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #8  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

I have mirena and have lost weight while on it. I prefer it to other forms of birth control. Side effects have been minimal.
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:26 AM   #9  
beautiful bright soul :)

S/C/G: 296 / 171 / 150

I didn't start this thread, but nonetheless, thank you all for your replies! And thank you for starting the thread, KillerBee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottington View Post
KillerBee I have it and love it. I've had it for almost 4 years now(I have the 5 year one) and I plan on getting another one after I'm done with this one! I've lost 50lbs while on it and haven't experienced any major side effects. I think it might make losing weight a little harder, but obviously its still possible and for me this has been the easiest and most effective at regulating TOM for me. (Don't know if it matters but I'm 25 and have never had kids and have tried the pill and the patch as well, both of which really messed with my hormones in a negative way and actually made TOM worse). Good luck!
I'm really glad to hear this! Were you also on the Mirena or the copper one?

Last edited by belovedspirit; 08-28-2013 at 10:26 AM.
belovedspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 200+/160.8/135

Height: 5'5.5

Belovedspirit I'm on Mirena
Dottington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:22 AM   #11  
BELIEVE

Thanks guys! Really appreciate it. I canceled my appointment next week but I will likely get it done around December when I'm off for Christmas. That way I'll have 5 months under my belt and hopefully 40 or so of my 65 lbs lost...just hoping I'm not one of the unlucky few that gain weight while on it. But it also sounds like lots of that could just be poor eating habits on their part too so...majority rules here.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:24 AM   #12  
BELIEVE

Oh and Mozzy out of curiosity (or anyone else), if you see this...what side effects did you experience exactly?
Old 08-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #13  
Warrior Princess

IUD's do not make you gain weight. A lot of those stories you read on the net about people experiencing weight gain are people with poor eating habits and want to point the blame on something. Until I got educated on calorie counting I would've sworn to you I didn't eat much and was certain something else was causing me to be overweight. After finding Myfitnesspal.com I found out I was eating A LOT more calories than I thought. I was actually shocked how fast calories add up. I cut back/logged my calories, exercised, and lost.

My friend just had her Mirena taken out a few months ago because it was "making her gain weight" but she eats fast food almost 7 days a week. Needless to say she has lost zero pounds after taking it out because her eating habits are the same.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:39 PM   #14  

I know this is an old thread but I had to post. I had Mirena inserted in August 2013 and I have no children. The school of thinking that IUD's are for women who have had children only is no longer accepted by most.

And I haven't gained any weight since getting it.
mrsmuntie is offline   Reply With Quote