Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-18-2013, 10:27 PM   #31  
Began on 10/25/13

This might be a moronic question (sorry), but how can you tell that something you consume- such as juice- leaves you hungry 2 hours later because of a sugar crash or whatever, and not just because it wasn't a very substantial snack? I've always found myself hungry sooner after eating fruit than something with more protein like peanut butter or meat, but kind of thought it's because the protein rich item is more substantial than the fruit.
HuggerBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:29 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuggerBunny View Post
This might be a moronic question (sorry), but how can you tell that something you consume- such as juice- leaves you hungry 2 hours later because of a sugar crash or whatever, and not just because it wasn't a very substantial snack? I've always found myself hungry sooner after eating fruit than something with more protein like peanut butter or meat, but kind of thought it's because the protein rich item is more substantial than the fruit.
I'm with you on the fruit thing. If I have an apple I'm remarkably hungry a very short time later if not immediately. But if I slather a little peanut butter on that apple it keeps me quite full. But usually carbs/sugar/starch will leave me quite hungry too. A muffin or toast or cereal won't keep me full, I'll be ravenous a short time later and when that hunger returns it zeros in on more carbs. A bagel with cream cheese is very very substantial right? Then how do you explain how ravenous I am shortly thereafter?

Look, every person reacts differently to food they put in their bodies. Recently we had a house guest and I got the chance to observe his eating habits. He was a middle aged man, thin and pretty healthy and fit. He went for a short jog every day, ate breakfast/lunch/dinner and had no snacks. In the morning he'd eat a small baguette with butter and jelly. For lunch he would have a baguette sandwich with cheese and tomatoes. For dinner he'd have whatever we were having for dinner and a glass of wine. Needless to say this person eats more bread in a day than I'm allowed in a whole month and less protein than I eat in a whole mean but he's thin and fit. We went through 2 jars of strawberry jelly during the 6 days he was here. If I eat how he ate then I'd be hungry all the time and be snacking all day. Other people can have an apple and it will sustain them, but for me it makes me hungry. You have to listen to your body, that's how you find out what makes you hungry and what doesn't.

Last edited by Palestrina; 11-19-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #33  

Height: 5'5"

http://www.nwedible.com/2012/08/trag...thy-eater.html

I have read a lot about nutrition. Give me a food, any food, and I will tell you why it's bad for you. I know we have some "true believers" on this forum who really believe that one way of eating is the "right way" and everyone should follow it. I am not that person. The eating style that is right for you is the one that helps you stay on track, helps you lose weight, and doesn't make you completely crazy. If OJ fits into that, then OJ is a good idea, IMHO.

That doesn't mean that the inquiry is done, though. OJ does trigger insulin spikes. Maybe you would feel better if you did without it and not miss it? If so, maybe it's worth it to go a week without OJ and see the result? Maybe you will miss it. Maybe you won't. Maybe Suzanne's suggestion or Kaplods's suggestion would work better for you than the OJ. I am a big fan of consistent reexamination.

In my mind, any pattern of eating that is an improvement over what I would do if left to my "natural devices" is good for me. =)

Last edited by LaurieDawn; 11-19-2013 at 01:59 PM.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:13 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieDawn View Post
Give me a food, any food, and I will tell you why it's bad for you.
LOL.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #35  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
I'm not crazy about orange juice (or any juice really) but if you wanted to cut half of the calories and still have juice, you could try Trop50 by Tropicana.
I like adding a shot of that stuff to my morning smoothies.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote