Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhm6 View Post
Thanks! I might keep the oat bran in the morning and nix it at night, add more veggies. I think the oat bran takes up too many calories. I might add the omelet on days I don't want oat bran?

I actually just used a measuring spoon for the mayo so that probably could be higher, everything else I measured seemed to be higher! My carbs are definitely a problem. I snack on little carby things which really needs to stop.

This was my meal today
breakfast- oat bran+flaxseed
lunch- broccoli and chicken
snack-milk tea with agave
dinner-omelette with broccoli and red onions

So far this is 1450 cals!
It's a learning process for sure. Keeping the oat ran for breakfast instead of eggs will get you hungrier sooner, protein is super important in the morning for me.

Agave is a very trendy word for SUGAR.

I understand that it helps to eat something everyday in terms of being accountable and not being faced with too many choices buy have you thought about replacing the oatbran sometimes with something else? Filling breakfasts for me include low fat Greek yogurt with fruit and nuts, cheddar cheese and almonds, hard boiled egg, hummus with veg. I keep a bag if frozen spinach and dump some in an pan with a couple if eggs frequently.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:53 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/130

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
It's a learning process for sure. Keeping the oat ran for breakfast instead of eggs will get you hungrier sooner, protein is super important in the morning for me.

Agave is a very trendy word for SUGAR.

I understand that it helps to eat something everyday in terms of being accountable and not being faced with too many choices buy have you thought about replacing the oatbran sometimes with something else? Filling breakfasts for me include low fat Greek yogurt with fruit and nuts, cheddar cheese and almonds, hard boiled egg, hummus with veg. I keep a bag if frozen spinach and dump some in an pan with a couple if eggs frequently.
The oat bran actually fills me up a lot longer than the omelet would, and I only eat two tablespoons of it, there's more yogurt in it than there is oat bran. It's a weird thing to eat, but I picked it up doing Dukan and really liked it!

Yeah, the agave will have to go at some point, I use it in my tea now since that's my calcium source, I picked it up thinking it would be better than reg sugar? or I have fallen for a total marketing scam!!

So how much protein should we be eating?? I always feel like I'm ready to load up on veggies before protein, but should it be the other way around?
hhm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:28 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
So today I started counting my calories as accurately as I could (weighing everything using a kitchen scale) and I'm shocked at how badly I've been estimating my calories!!!
Just thought I'd mention that I think this is a very illuminating post. So many of us complain about being unable to lose (more, faster) weight despite "eating on plan." I suspect that caloric underestimation is the culprit in at least some of these cases.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:49 PM   #19  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:

This was my meal today
breakfast- oat bran+flaxseed
lunch- broccoli and chicken
snack-milk tea with agave
dinner-omelette with broccoli and red onions

So far this is 1450 cals!
Are you eating very large portions of these things? I am having trouble making all of this add up to 1450.
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:56 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
The oat bran actually fills me up a lot longer than the omelet would, and I only eat two tablespoons of it, there's more yogurt in it than there is oat bran. It's a weird thing to eat, but I picked it up doing Dukan and really liked it!

Yeah, the agave will have to go at some point, I use it in my tea now since that's my calcium source, I picked it up thinking it would be better than reg sugar? or I have fallen for a total marketing scam!!

So how much protein should we be eating?? I always feel like I'm ready to load up on veggies before protein, but should it be the other way around?
Oh that's good, if you're eating it with yogurt then you're definitely getting protein.

Agave, hehe. Yes, it's a total marketing scam. I'm sure it's a great source of sugar, honey is healthy, high fructose corn syrup is bad, brown sugar is better than white sugar, blah blah blah! It's all sugar isn't it? While agave might have more nutritional value than sugar, it's still sugar that's the whole point. I never really understood that until I watched this documentary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sKxfImHkFI

Look, cutting out sugar is easier said than done. For me, I allow myself on 25cal piece of dark chocolate every day. Yes, dark chocolate is good for me, but I don't kid myself that it's necessary. It IS sugar, it's just what I allow for myself that's all. You do the same with agave, just don't kid yourself that it plays a necessary role nutritionally.

The protein question is one you'll have to answer for yourself. As long as you're not hungry and don't have urges to binge then you're fine.

PS - did you know that a great source of calcium is found in dark leafy vegetables? Some good sources of calcium are:
Spinach
Kale
Okra
Collards
Soy beans
White beans
Some fish, like sardines, salmon, perch, and rainbow trout

Last edited by Palestrina; 09-06-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 200/167/150

Height: 5'10

[QUOTE=hhm6;4832539]
The way I lost weight was I took what was already in my eating habits and figured out how to make them a little bit healthier. No major changes, just small ones

Breakfast
Oat bran+flaxseed with fage yogurt
1 egg omelet (with tomato, spinach, onions, 1 slice of ham)

=597 (This is much higher than i thought!!
I would do 3 egg whites with half an egg yolk, add broccoli or another veggie you like, and skip the ham.

lunch
chicken salad (made at home) 5oz rotisserie chicken
-1/2 tomato, 2oz spinach, 2 tbsp mayo, 1 tbps relish
-2 wasa crackers with peanut butter and medium banana
-milk tea

=1141 (OMG!!!!!!)
No more mayo!! That was the first condiment I stopped using. I haven't missed it a bit. I love balsalmic vinegar for a simple dressing. How much peanut butter? It is good for you in so many ways, but I had to ax that from my diet because I could eat 300 calories of it no problem! How about instead of the crackers and peanut butter, whole wheat toast and avocado?
Dinner (I stop eating for the day around 6:30)
but I usually eat the oat bran +flaxseed at night minus the yogurt
=196 calories
More protein here, I would recommend. Fish/Chicken, etc, with veggies, and maybe some quinoa, or whole wheat pasta, or brown rice. I won't say no carbs at dinner, but I've been slowing reducing my carbs and increasing my protein and I've felt great!

So to answer your questions yes, I personally would absolutely get rid of the mayo and maybe the peanut butter

Would appreciate any advice!! Thank you!!!
Andrea85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:47 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/130

Height: 5'2

Thank you all for the responses!!

Went grocery shopping and bought a lot of different stuff, and the agave and mayo is OUT! Let's see how I get through next week!

@thesame7lbs- I calculated it using caloriecount? I should check my numbers again to make sure!

and thanks again for the responses!! you guys are great!
hhm6 is offline   Reply With Quote