Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #1  
Slow and Steady

S/C/G: 176/176/145

Height: 5'3"

Default Eating well on planes & trains?

I'm leaving next week for a vacation in Europe that will involve a lot of air and train travel. My previous experiences with all of the salty, pre-packaged yuck they tend to serve on planes (and Amtrak trains here in the states, maybe in Europe it's different?) have left me with a dread of having to deal with it again. Last time I flew was a 16 hour flight to Beijing and I had such wicked heartburn and bloating most of the way over, ugh. We'll be doing some meals in airports, train stations, and on overnight flights. If you have some experience with this sort of travel, I'd love some tips!

I'm looking for things that are healthy for both weight-loss reasons (I totally plan to do some splurging, but not at the airport) and also...er, reasons related to digestive issues. Fatty foods tend to irritate my IBS and high sodium meals will make me retain water like crazy, especially on the plane.

So far I plan to really push the water and not drink anything but that. I'd like to purchase something at the airport/station to bring with me so I don't limit myself to what's available on the plane or train, but what's a good choice that isn't too messy, smelly, or apt to spoil quickly? What are your strategies?
LovesToTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

I really like packages of dried fruit or unsalted nuts...they may not be the best but they are a lot better than other things!
GordonGirl16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I take Luna/Mojo bars and nuts and seek out options in the airports. When we flew to China, we flew on Korean Air and they had the best food including fresh fruit. American airlines tend to have the worst food so trying international airlines is a good method.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #4  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

A lot of airports offer salads to go. Also, you can bring your own snacks. Dried fruit, granola bars, etc.
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #5  

I hope you don't mind me jumping in - I've just re-discovered this site...

Food on trains/at stations tends to be expensive and limited. I'd definitely recommend venturing a bit further out if you have time.

Enjoy your trip!
NoSenseOfAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #6  
Slow and Steady

Thank you for all of the suggestions! I like the idea of packing/buying things like fruit, nuts, and nutritional bars, hadn't thought of those. Getting a light meal like a salad or sandwich to-go before boarding is a nice option too, I will keep that in mind. I'm feeling better about this already.

My sister (and travel partner for this trip) also reminded me today that the airport we're flying out of has a decent sushi bar. Sans soy sauce, that would make for a good dinner and then just skip the in-flight meal and snack on some of the suggestions I was given.

You guys are great, thanks again!
Old 09-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #7  
Slow and Steady

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
American airlines tend to have the worst food so trying international airlines is a good method.
YES. I flew American Airlines last year to China and was regretting that I ate the food the whole way. The worst was "breakfast." Oh god, I'm 90% sure it was supposed to be a chicken salad sandwich, except it was half-frozen, tasted awful, and really wasn't what I had in mind upon waking up, you know? My entire row either poked at it suspiciously or took a bite and threw it out. We're flying British Airways this time- I don't recall having any traumatic experiences with them in the past.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #8  
Slow and Steady

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSenseOfAdventure View Post
I hope you don't mind me jumping in - I've just re-discovered this site...

Food on trains/at stations tends to be expensive and limited. I'd definitely recommend venturing a bit further out if you have time.

Enjoy your trip!
There's a mini coop supermarket in the village we're staying at in Switzerland so I could definitely pack a lunch to take on the train before we leave. I was planning to picnic while we hike anyways, good point. Not sure about the other places we're visiting, but I'll keep my eyes peeled, thanks!
Old 09-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #9  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Talking Hi

Hi

I take trains quite often and I personally find it helpful to have a bottle of water with me on the train, maybe I will pack some mints or sugar free gum or a Skinny Cow candy bar. On planes, I also like to get a bottle of water once past airport security and nowadays there are so many eateries in airports, usually there's a variety to choose from in some USA airports, so it helps that there is a selection to choose from. I agree with packing things like nuts, maybe even a box of raisins or getting a sandwich to go for the train or plane. Good luck and happy trails!!!

seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote