Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #1  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

Default So weight lifting...and weight.

So I weighed myself this morning and since I started NROL4W, I'm up a pound on the scale. HOWEVER, I took my measurements this morning, and I've lost about a half inch or so on just about every place on my body -- EVEN MY ARMS! I thought I felt lighter, lol! I think I'll take it!
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #2  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Totally. It even mentions in the book, and if you visit their forums, it's VERY typical to go up on the scale, especially on the first program (but still lose inches).

You're doing GREAT!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #3  
Rachel

S/C/G: 295ish/278.4/145

Height: 5'5"

Arms are a tough area to lose inches (for me, anyways). Job well done
Keep Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #4  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Good for you!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #5  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Very normal, good job Lauren!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #6  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Yay!!! That is awesome.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 188/132.4/129.5

Congratulations! How long have you been lifting?
DoingMyBest79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #8  

A week as of today; I just started.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

Mimsy, I heart you so much!! But I see you going down paths I went down the first time I lost weight--and by the end of the summer, I had regained it all. :-( I know you are adding back calories, and you are starting to lift weights. But a really hardcore weightlifter works SO hard to gain a pound of muscle. Don't let me rain on your parade. But set a limit. Like 5 pounds, and if you reach that, re-evaluate what you are adding back.
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:54 PM   #10  

HungryHungryHippo, while I appreciate your concern and I know you only mean for the best, I only went up a pound and I don't even think it's muscle -- it's probably just water or something. It's nothing scary, and believe me, I am keeping a watch on it to make sure I don't gain anything. I eat foods that are on plan and am still counting calories. I didn't really increase things by that much anyway; I eat about 100 calories more on days I don't work out, and I just eat my workout calories (which are only like 275 extra) because I'm hungry after I get done lifting -- and then I make healthy choices within my limit. I'm not eating enough to gain weight, and while I haven't really lost anything in a little while, I'm noticing that when I went to buy clothes this past week, I was choosing between smalls and mediums as opposed to mediums and larges, and I'm pretty solidly in an 8; in fact, some things I tried on were even a bit roomy and I probably could've gone down to a 6. I'm doing okay, I've got an eye on it, and I am determined to not gain my weight back.

And even if I did bust my *** to get to 140, what would happen then when I went into maintenance mode? I would be doing the same things I'm doing now, wouldn't I? What would be different? Should I be doing something different? Posts like this make me worry that I'm doing something wrong. =/

Last edited by mimsyborogoves; 03-18-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:03 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

No--you're not doing anything wrong!! Maintenance is a dance!! (Some peopjle say you keep it off by doing exactly what you did to get it off.) It's just a little tricky when you've got muscle weight going on at the same time! Forgive me. I'm probably just projecting my own struggles on you!
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:12 PM   #12  

It's okay! I really didn't mean to sound snippy, and I probably did. It was just one of those "in the moment" things where I honestly did feel like whatever I was doing was gonna cause me to gain all my weight back, lol. To be honest, I'm terrified that everything I do is gonna make me gain weight which is exactly why I'm keeping such a hawk-eye watch on it.

At the same time, I keep seeing pictures of myself and good lord I'm small; the only thing left on me is whatever's in my arms and the little bit in my legs/butt, and whatever has settled in my loose skin on my stomach. I'm actually kind of scared that losing anymore would make me too little/lose whatever curves I have left. I never wanted to be tiny; just a normal, average weight/size was fine by me. And I wanted to be in single digits, lol. I've got single digits in the misses' department; now I'm shooting for 9 instead of an 11 in the juniors' department. Hopefully the weights will let me achieve that.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:52 PM   #13  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

So, you started lifting, and after a week, you are up a pound. Most likely water retention. No worries. Sore muscles retain water while repairing!

As much as I hate to say this, most women do not understand the dynamics of lifting, and how good it really is for us.

We will not bulk up and look like Arnie, we do not have enough testosterone!

I have completed the NROL4W, NROL4abs, and am now working on the new Supercharged book/program.

Lifting is good for women. It builds muscle, which burns more calories than fat in a static state. Lifting, helps to fight off bone loss, lifting actually will help prevent broken hips and so on.

I am at a point where I can deadlift 185#, bench press 75#, which is actually pitiful, barbell back squat 115#, I can seated row 100# 10 times, I do step ups with 60#'s. I can 2 point row 40#'s 10 times. I can also do 7 underhanded grip chin ups! Those are tough!

I don't do the program perfectly, there are a few moves, that my old body won't do. Box jumps. Not happening.

Ladies, do not fear the weight room, do not fear the squat rack! Do not fear a dumb bell that weighs more than 5 pounds! Challenge yourself, bang some iron! I love it! It is so empowering!

I went back to lifting, after I lost the weight and realized that with my job, working for a veterinarian, I lost the leverage the poundage gave me and I had to figure out how to make that up.

I have made that up in the gym, slinging iron!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:58 PM   #14  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimsyborogoves View Post
Should I be doing something different? Posts like this make me worry that I'm doing something wrong. =/
What anyone should be doing depends on their goals.

Lifting weights will make you stronger, increase bone density, and firm you up.

If you're smaller - it means you're losing fat which means you're in a caloric deficit. Period.

It's hard to know what you're going to look like as you continue to lose fat but if you're like most people dieting and lifting you are looking at yourself at least once a day in the mirror so I wouldn't worry about getting too small.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:52 AM   #15  
Restart 11/2012 at 153lbs

S/C/G: Hw194/Sw160/Cw120/gw125

Height: 5'2" on the dot!

I just looked nrol4w didn't know what it was. So what differences r there? I just go at it the way I did in high school except I added chest flies. I am trying to slowly increase when I notice I don't wake up sore. I love weight lifting its fun and I actually have grown to enjoy the muscles in my arms which used to stop me from lifting before. Now if I could only love kettle bell squats, those are a pain in my butt, literally. Lol. But my thighs need serious toning for bathing suit season. I am going to take measurements tomorrow. I haven't really gained fro
weight training. I think we are going to buy one of those caliper things to measure muscle, seeing my progress would really pump me up, again litterally. Lol
chubbiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote