Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #1  

Default Does stress cause lack of weight loss?

I have been losing consistently 3-4lbs a week on a medically monitored diet. It's low calorie but I see a nurse every week and my doctor every 2 weeks (in the beginning I saw the doctor every week). Just wanted to give that background in case anyone points out the high 3-4lbs.

This weekend my sister ticked me off to the HILT, talk about having happy holidays. Just lots of drama and I take it all to heart and get all upset and angry.

At my weigh-in yesterday, I was only down 2.2lbs for the week. While a loss is still great no matter what, it's a lot less than than my usual. I didn't eat any different and got my exercise in so I should have had an average week. I realize all weeks can't be "great" so I accepted it but still kept thinking about it.

I try to never weigh in other than Mondays so I don't obsess with my scale but curiousity got the best of me. This morning I weighed in down another 2lbs! I wanted to race to my doctors office and show them! I adjusted my scale a few months ago so my scale matches theirs so there is no discrepancy, good or bad.

A total loss of 4.2lbs for the week would be exceptionally high so that doesn't make sense to me either but it sure sounds better than just the 2.2!!

I talked out my problem with my favorite aunt and she made me feel better about things (still didn't change the fact that my sister is being a witch) but I just felt the weight of stress off my shoulders when I went to bed last night. Any chance that stress weighed 2lbs??

Anyways, thanks for reading if you got this far. I hate family drama and the holidays just make it 10x worse.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:54 PM   #2  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Weight loss isn't linear. Even if you are a perfect automaton, 100% constant in every single choice you make, what shows up on the scale will STILL vary. If you know you've been making good choices and are sure you've created a deficit, it will show up -- eventually.

That said, high stress can absolutely impact your weight loss. Google cortisol, stress, and weight if you want nitty gritty. The month before we closed on our house earlier this year wasn't pretty. My advice is to take care of yourself - try to bring your stress level down - and don't worry about small scale fluctuations.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #3  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Sorry about the family drama! I know how stressful it can be!

Yes, stress can definitely mess with weight loss (Cortisol and all that).

You are doing great btw! I can't say that I EVER consistently loss anything but an average of 2 pounds a week, I'm super jealous!!!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #4  

Thank you both! I couldn't think of the word "cortisol" and you both hit the nail on the head, off to google now!

It's amazing how the holidays bring out the worst in some people, I'm so glad I'm not like that (I don't think I am lol).

LockitUp--your weight loss is amazing, don't be jealous of me!! I'm on the medically supervised diet to get the bulk of the weight off (anywhere from 800-1000 calories so it has to be medically monitored as it's unsafe to do alone without bloodwork, supplements, etc.). It's a long story but I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer over the summer so my excess loads of weight are creating too much estrogen in my body and the estrogen feeds the cancer. My ultimate goal is to get pregnant before having a hysterectomy so I have to get as much weight off before February as possible. So after February, no matter what happens (pregnancy hopefully! or the hysterectomy), I will transition into a healthy higher calorie diet to either maintain on a pregnancy diet or a regular life "diet".

Please pray for me, I can use all of them I can get!
Old 12-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #5  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I will definitely keep you in my prayers! You have a lot to deal with right now, WOW! I admire you very much!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #6  

Thank you so much, it's going to take a miracle! And it's already a miracle this diet is working so well (the meds I take cause weight gain!).