Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-05-2012, 10:28 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 212/199/135

Height: 5 ft 2.5 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle View Post
Hello, and thanks for sharing.

As Mandydawn commented about herself, I too always bounce back up a bit after a loss. A cheeseburger and fries did not hurt you all that much, and certainly did not cause a permanent weight increase.

Losing weight is full of discouraging moments, that's for sure! This is a good place to come for encouragement! You are doing great!
Awe, yes loosing weight is definitely full for discouraging moments, encouraging moments as well, talk about an emotional roller-coaster! This place really does seem like a wonderful place for encouragement, as I have already received so much in just one day! Thank you for your encouragement and kind words.
heartinoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:32 AM   #17  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

im with the other posters, 10 lbs in 2 months is great!

i always lose a lot the first month but then find that i can only lose 5 lb/month no matter what i do.

its just frustrating.. theres no way around it
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:53 AM   #18  
IP Diva!

S/C/G: 289/276.8/185

Height: 5'3"

Wink Don't give up, never give in!

Hang in there, I know it is hard at times, but you are doing the right thing, taking time to regroup and reflect. Also bear in mind, weight loss is not only about the pounds, it is also about the inches and feeling good in your own skin! Some weeks you won't lose weight, you may gain especially if you are consistently working out and building muscle mass. Measure your inches and treat them as important as your weight loss. Inches loss=actual fat loss!
MochaDiva2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #19  

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliastl27 View Post
im with the other posters, 10 lbs in 2 months is great!

i always lose a lot the first month but then find that i can only lose 5 lb/month no matter what i do.

its just frustrating.. theres no way around it
Thanks! I am grateful and proud of my 10 lbs no doubt. (:

Yes, loosing weight is frustrating, but well worth the effort!

Last edited by heartinoregon; 11-06-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MochaDiva2 View Post
Hang in there, I know it is hard at times, but you are doing the right thing, taking time to regroup and reflect. Also bear in mind, weight loss is not only about the pounds, it is also about the inches and feeling good in your own skin! Some weeks you won't lose weight, you may gain especially if you are consistently working out and building muscle mass. Measure your inches and treat them as important as your weight loss. Inches loss=actual fat loss!
Thank you. Yes, I guess I just needed to take some time to reflect and get my frustrations off my chest, which has really helped. All of the wonderful support I have received here so far is also helping a lot!

Unfortunately one of the things I didn't do was take measurements, but I think I might go back and do that sometime this week. I can see it being very helpful; especially during times like I felt yesterday. Thanks for all of your support and kind words!
Old 11-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #21  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

I just wanted to chime in and agree that 10 pounds in 2 months is great! I've been averaging about one pound a week myself, and it actually took me a bit to be satisfied with that rather than impatient. Weight is bound to fluctuate even when you're 100% on-plan, and as you've already realized, the occasional treat can seemingly throw a monkey wrench into the works. But the good news is that it isn't permanent! Water weight is gained and lost relatively quickly when compared to fat, and we don't often know why our bodies do what they do.

My weight has been known to go up, even when I try my hardest and stay perfectly on-plan. If I threw in the towel in those moments and gave up like I did many times in the past, I'd probably be far above my highest of 360 pounds by now. Instead, I do my best to just keep moving forward, baby step by baby step. I totally understand your frustration though. To illustrate, take a look at the chart I've been keeping since March:

You see that first gain? It happened on April 11th and I wanted to cry. Oh heck with that, I'm pretty sure I was crying. I knew I was trying so hard and not having it being reflected on the scale was absolutely devastating. But I kept moving forward. And even though it took me nearly a month to work back to the weight I'd reached the previous week, I was able to do it!

So you can see my weight went up at times, but the overall trend is much more important than any one weigh-in! Mind you, it's still disappointing when I don't lose every single week, but it doesn't absolutely crush me like it used to since I know I'm still going in the right direction. Tracking your own results might help you see the whole picture more clearly so that the occasional gain won't concern you as much.

The scale does not dictate who you are, nor should it ever dictate your mood of the day. Everyone's body is an ever-changing work in progress (even those at their goal weight!) and it's up to us to always make the right choices so we can go in the right direction.

Good luck to you!
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:41 AM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elladorine View Post
I just wanted to chime in and agree that 10 pounds in 2 months is great! I've been averaging about one pound a week myself, and it actually took me a bit to be satisfied with that rather than impatient. Weight is bound to fluctuate even when you're 100% on-plan, and as you've already realized, the occasional treat can seemingly throw a monkey wrench into the works. But the good news is that it isn't permanent! Water weight is gained and lost relatively quickly when compared to fat, and we don't often know why our bodies do what they do.

My weight has been known to go up, even when I try my hardest and stay perfectly on-plan. If I threw in the towel in those moments and gave up like I did many times in the past, I'd probably be far above my highest of 360 pounds by now. Instead, I do my best to just keep moving forward, baby step by baby step. I totally understand your frustration though. To illustrate, take a look at the chart I've been keeping since March:

You see that first gain? It happened on April 11th and I wanted to cry. Oh heck with that, I'm pretty sure I was crying. I knew I was trying so hard and not having it being reflected on the scale was absolutely devastating. But I kept moving forward. And even though it took me nearly a month to work back to the weight I'd reached the previous week, I was able to do it!

So you can see my weight went up at times, but the overall trend is much more important than any one weigh-in! Mind you, it's still disappointing when I don't lose every single week, but it doesn't absolutely crush me like it used to since I know I'm still going in the right direction. Tracking your own results might help you see the whole picture more clearly so that the occasional gain won't concern you as much.

The scale does not dictate who you are, nor should it ever dictate your mood of the day. Everyone's body is an ever-changing work in progress (even those at their goal weight!) and it's up to us to always make the right choices so we can go in the right direction.

Good luck to you!
Thank you, I am proud of my ten pounds! (: I have a chart similar to yours for tracking my weight, and my weight does fluctuate quite a big (especially because I weigh mostly every day). Though I weight in daily, I only really count it about once a week. Thank you for sharing your chart with me, it's really nice to see someone else's progress laid out like that. I'm sorry that you cried on your first gain, I know I felt like it the other day. I guess it's just something about seeing that gain after knowing you have worked your butt off. It's like studying really hard for a test and failing. Or at least that is what it did feel like.

You are right, I should not let the scale dictate myself, or how I feel for the day. Thank you so, so much for all of your kind words and encouragement. Reading your post today really put a smile on my face and gave me a really good feeling- thank you for that!

PS: Love your avatar, it's the Blind Melon girl, no?
Old 11-10-2012, 01:52 AM   #23  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexa2012 View Post
Hi. Let's go for the healthy run. It helps us control our weight effectively. Combine your expertise in calorie counting with running and I'm sure you will be able to maintain your ideal BMI. Cheers!
Sure, lets go for a run! (: Somewhere with nice scenery would be ideal!
Old 11-10-2012, 02:06 AM   #24  

Just thought I would give an update!

Feeling a lot better overall, thanks to everyone's wonderful support and advice. I have gone down to 203 lbs, still not quite down to where I was before my burger, but that is just fine. I think this has something to do with the fact that I am on my TOM right now, and I always weigh a bit more during this time.

So, as I just stated above I did end up starting my TOM 3 days ago. I am happy I started, but still a bit concerned as to why my cycle length is increasing as I continue to lose weight. I will see how the next few months go, and if the pattern continues and does not balance out I will have to look at going in to see a doctor or something. But for now, I am not going to stress.

I did increase my exercise length, just an extra 10 minutes a day, but it's a start. I want to look at adding in some resistance training and stepping up my workouts, but for now this is a good start for me.

I have been on plan completely (with the exception of a piece of chocolate, but that's ok) since my burger and I am just moving on with my journey. I have no worries about giving up or being discouraged! (:

Thank you to everyone who took time to respond and offer your words of advice and encouragement!
Old 11-13-2012, 01:07 AM   #25  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

So glad you're doing better! And thanks! Yeah, it's the Blind Melon girl. Always loved her and decided to draw my own version of her one day.

It's all good that I cried, I get rather emotional anyway. And I still managed to push through it, which I suppose has made me stronger in the long run. I'm sure the struggles you've faced will be similar as well. You're totally right regardless, about it feeling like failing a test you studied so hard for. I spent a good portion of last summer questioning my every move and throwing tantrums when the scale didn't give me the feedback I was looking for (before kind of freaking out in the fall). I eventually had to learn that the scale is the wrong place to seek the positive reassurance I was craving; I've instead had to focus on my habits and changing body instead.

Keep up your healthier habits and you'll get there! You'll occasionally have to rework and tweak as you go, but you've got a great start and there's no doubt you're on your way.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:57 PM   #26  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elladorine View Post
So glad you're doing better! And thanks! Yeah, it's the Blind Melon girl. Always loved her and decided to draw my own version of her one day.

It's all good that I cried, I get rather emotional anyway. And I still managed to push through it, which I suppose has made me stronger in the long run. I'm sure the struggles you've faced will be similar as well. You're totally right regardless, about it feeling like failing a test you studied so hard for. I spent a good portion of last summer questioning my every move and throwing tantrums when the scale didn't give me the feedback I was looking for (before kind of freaking out in the fall). I eventually had to learn that the scale is the wrong place to seek the positive reassurance I was craving; I've instead had to focus on my habits and changing body instead.

Keep up your healthier habits and you'll get there! You'll occasionally have to rework and tweak as you go, but you've got a great start and there's no doubt you're on your way.
Thank you, I am happy to be feeling much better than I was! I love the Blind Melon girl as well. I always wanted to be her for Halloween when I was younger, but that never worked out. You drew your avatar? Wow, great job! (:

It's true, sometimes we have to just remind ourselves that even if the scale is not giving us the reassurance we are looking for that it is more about the new, healthy habits that we are creating and the positive changes we are making. Thank you, I definitely feel like I am on my way to getting some of this weight off after 5 years!

I also want to say congratulations on your amazing success! I can't believe I haven't congratulated you already! I thought I had for some reason and I just realized I never told you! You are truly an inspiration and I hope to have success like yours one day. You look absolutely amazing!

Last edited by heartinoregon; 11-15-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:31 PM   #27  
Designing my new physique

S/C/G: 316

Height: 5'7.5

OMG, HeartinOregon ... First off hats to you, I'm a fellow Oregonian. Also the Pcos. I suffer with it too. Also I have been fighting almost exactly as you have. since about my last 5 pounds of dropping I have had 'tom' late by as much as 5 days and created havoc with cravings and eratic moods. I'm 4 days n2 it now and I slipped worse than you on this one with a rebound with a couple pounds to boot. All I can suggest is don't get hard on yourself, I realise it's not easy but that nasty hormone cortisol will take advantage of it. Just get back on the horse and be happy with all the things that you have made go right. After all, there are worse things than an occassional cheeseburger. You were able to confront the issue and curtail it. I think it all has to do with hormones (the 'tom' being delayed)and the foods that our hormones make us crave (as pcos sufferers) feeds the disorder and makes the symptoms come off as full blown again. Good luck and I think you're doing great!
avalonmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:20 PM   #28  

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonmoon View Post
OMG, HeartinOregon ... First off hats to you, I'm a fellow Oregonian. Also the Pcos. I suffer with it too. Also I have been fighting almost exactly as you have. since about my last 5 pounds of dropping I have had 'tom' late by as much as 5 days and created havoc with cravings and eratic moods. I'm 4 days n2 it now and I slipped worse than you on this one with a rebound with a couple pounds to boot. All I can suggest is don't get hard on yourself, I realise it's not easy but that nasty hormone cortisol will take advantage of it. Just get back on the horse and be happy with all the things that you have made go right. After all, there are worse things than an occassional cheeseburger. You were able to confront the issue and curtail it. I think it all has to do with hormones (the 'tom' being delayed)and the foods that our hormones make us crave (as pcos sufferers) feeds the disorder and makes the symptoms come off as full blown again. Good luck and I think you're doing great!

Why hello, avalonmoon always nice to meet a fellow Oregonian! What area in Oregon are you from (if you don't mind me asking)? Wow, a PCOS sufferer as well? Looks like we have some stuff in common.
Yes, hormones can be nasty. I actually suffer the most with my hormones as far as the PCOS goes.
Yeah, I am not sure what is going on with my cycle at the moment, but I am waiting until next month (December) to see if my cycle shows up on time instead of 3-4 days later than normal. It may just be my body readjusting (hopefully)!
I must say congratulations to and your weight loss!
Thank you for your encouragement and advice! I definitely got back on the horse and have been fully on track since. Feeling much better now!

Last edited by heartinoregon; 11-16-2012 at 10:22 PM.