Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-27-2012, 02:09 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 163/141/135

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickieChicks View Post
I can understand the theory behind this....fitness is almost always going to be the desired outcome. But I don't like he these studies are often INTERPRETTED as overweight being better. I personally have friends and family who sight these studies as a reason to not eat right and work out very frequently. They THINK they are fit, and therefore, they are "healthy". It really discounts those individuals who ARE very fit at a higher weight. I just find it incredibly hard to believe that even half of overweight people in this country fall into the fat, but fit, category.

Added: it also bugs me when people look at the Rubenesque body shapes from hundreds of years ago and try to relate their desirability to our current age. Those women in the paintings were NOT fit. They were squishy and round. I love roundness, but it all seems like just another excuse to stay fat. There was absolutely not an emphasis on physical fitness in that era, and that body shape could ot be sustained at that time if those cherubs were running marathons...
I would imagine that with the lifestyle many of our ancestors led, they would have to be somewhat fit. Studies even suggest that they were fitter than we are today. They might have not run marathons, but that's not really a requirement of fitness nor is it necessary. Fit is when your body is capable of doing everything you need it to do for as long as you need it to. I mean, really, gymnastics, olympics, hunting and gathering, yoga, these didn't just pop on the scene.

How do you know they weren't fit? And why do you say there was no emphasis on physical fitness back then? Have you read studies that state this? Just curious as to how you gathered this information.
DisappearingActs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

She isn't referring to ancestors but rather artwork by Peter Paul Rubens in the 17th century which was often of very plump women. And no, they don't look particularly healthy as I'm sure those women weren't exercising, at all. Hence ChickieChicks comments regarding squishy and round, very apt.

Last edited by XLMuffnTop; 09-27-2012 at 03:02 PM.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #18  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLMuffnTop View Post
She isn't referring to ancestors but rather artwork by Peter Paul Rubens in the 17th century which was often of very plump women. And no, they don't look particularly healthy as I'm sure those women weren't exercising, at all. Hence ChickieChicks comments regarding squishy and round, very apt.
Thank you. I believe dissapearingActs previous post referred to ancestors, but mine was just observing that what some people found very beautiful, as evidenced in artwork, was not a fat-but-fit physique.

Last edited by ChickieChicks; 09-27-2012 at 03:56 PM.
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:11 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 163/141/135

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Thank you. I believe dissapearingActs previous post referred to ancestors, but mine was just observing that what some people found very beautiful, as evidenced in artwork, was not a fat-but-fit physique.
Oh, sorry about the misunderstanding.
DisappearingActs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:55 AM   #20  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Added: it also bugs me when people look at the Rubenesque body shapes from hundreds of years ago and try to relate their desirability to our current age. Those women in the paintings were NOT fit. They were squishy and round. I love roundness, but it all seems like just another excuse to stay fat. There was absolutely not an emphasis on physical fitness in that era, and that body shape could ot be sustained at that time if those cherubs were running marathons...
Physical activity is for POOR PEOPLE. It's a sign of wealth to be able to sit around all day amassing fat.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:10 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
Physical activity is for POOR PEOPLE. It's a sign of wealth to be able to sit around all day amassing fat.
Yes, which is another reason why it was en vogue to be pale. Laboring outside in the sun was also not for the wealthy. Given that I'm fat and pale, I think I was born to be rich!
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote