Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

You need more protein !
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #17  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Have you had your thyroid checked out...? Blood sugar, etc.? If not, that's always worth ruling out... I also agree that a little more protein probably wouldn't hurt.... Also, and I know that this is easier said than done, but sometimes when I'm exhausted actually getting out for a little exercise energizes me... It seems counterintuitive, but that's been my experience... and yes, it doesn't always work, but at least it makes me so tired that I sleep really well that night anyway... Hopefully it's just a temporary adjustment to the changes that you've been making recently...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:35 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'2

Why not mix a protein shake in with your coffee at breakfast? I do this every morning with a powder chocolate low carb kind that has 25 grams of protein.
Jonsgurl0531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #19  

Height: 5'8.5"

As far as being a "picky eater" I have found that sometimes I have had to learn to be less picky. There are a LOT of healthful foods out there and reality is, from what you posted, your eating plan is not very balanced. A croissant and coffee is not breakfast, nor is it a healthful way to start the day.

Have you checked with your doctor? It is always a good idea to be under a doctor's supervision. I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about nutrition and also google a lot. However, recently my doctor gave me some super advice about foods to eat less/more of, for balance, and I have found it very helpful. I have also been experimenting with new fruits and veggies and also re-trying some I didn't think I liked all that well, only to find them quite good.

You can do this! But it might require being a bit more open-minded about what you are going to eat and less "picky." Go for it!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:09 PM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockItUp View Post
This this this. My gosh you don't have really any protein at all until dinner. I'd wither up and die of crankiness!!! I definitely would have no energy either. Also, and unless I'm way underestimating that croissant you have in the morning, I don't see how that's 1400 calories. How are you recording/counting your calories?

You mention you are a picky eater -- still you need to find some kind of protein to have with pretty much every meal. Lethargy may be inevitable with the diet you are currently consuming. Picky or not, you must take care of yourself and give your body the fuel it needs to get you through your day!!!
I use myfitnesspal. The croissants are 170 calories from Walmart bakery. They're all gone now though, so no more croissants for me. :P I feel silly counting out croutons and pepperonis or whatnot, but I make sure that I'm within the 1400 a day. Sometimes I even come out a little under, around 1200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle View Post
As far as being a "picky eater" I have found that sometimes I have had to learn to be less picky. There are a LOT of healthful foods out there and reality is, from what you posted, your eating plan is not very balanced. A croissant and coffee is not breakfast, nor is it a healthful way to start the day.

Have you checked with your doctor? It is always a good idea to be under a doctor's supervision. I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about nutrition and also google a lot. However, recently my doctor gave me some super advice about foods to eat less/more of, for balance, and I have found it very helpful. I have also been experimenting with new fruits and veggies and also re-trying some I didn't think I liked all that well, only to find them quite good.

You can do this! But it might require being a bit more open-minded about what you are going to eat and less "picky." Go for it!
I actually do have hypothyroidism but it is being treated. The lack of energy is directly linked with me starting my diet. I was a sugar addict and I think that's how I kept my energy levels up. I just kept consuming sugar to keep the sugar rush going and keep from crashing. Lunch and dinner usually isn't a problem for me, but I've never been a big breakfast eater. The thought of eating eggs turns my stomach. It's weird because I love quiche but I hate plain eggs. See the pickiness? :P
Euphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #21  

Hello again.

I understand the hypothyroid because I had a thyroid tumor and had half my thyroid removed, so am on meds for that also. It does make things harder but they can still be done.

And I won't belabor the point.... it is totally up to you what you eat... but it is very important to eat a healthful breakfast; not doing so causes your metabolism to be sluggish and not function properly. There are a lot of good options besides eggs... whole grain oatmeal with a few raisins or dried cranberries thrown in, for example. Or cottage cheese and fresh fruit. I have come to the place where I would rather be thin and healthy, and it has meant giving up some of my pickiness... and without having to eat foods I "hate." There are lots of good options out there, although sometimes we have to search them out (especially if, as in my case, you try to avoid processed foods).

And yes, for sure it does take a while to come down from a sugar high! But it is also important to get good, balanced nutrition while we are doing so. But you are also not eating much protein, especially vegetable protein.

But again... not trying to tell you what to do. Your plan would not at all be what I would follow personally, but it is completely your choice and I wish you all success.

Last edited by Misti in Seattle; 09-16-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #22  

I understand. I guess I am just trying to ease my way into things. I've never been a big breakfast eater because it makes me feel MORE hungry the rest of the day. I was proud of myself for having that croissant because it's usually just coffee. :P I agree that I need to up the protein, it's just hard for me to eat that much meat. There are some things I can cut out to allow myself more calories to go towards veggies.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #23  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphy View Post
I use myfitnesspal. The croissants are 170 calories from Walmart bakery. They're all gone now though, so no more croissants for me. :P I feel silly counting out croutons and pepperonis or whatnot, but I make sure that I'm within the 1400 a day. Sometimes I even come out a little under, around 1200.
I also use MFP (great site). Some people do great at or below 1200, but if you are feeling a lack of energy it is probably not for you. Even 1400, if you are struggling, could be too low. Sometimes adding just a little bit can make a difference, especially if you eat energy dense food.

You mentioned you like quiche but not plain eggs (I'm the exact opposite lol). Make a big quiche on Sunday and you can have some all throughout the week. Or something to that effect. You have to eat what you like, but try not to be afraid to try new things too.

I think you will figure something out. It can take a lot of experimenting and tweaking to get it right for YOU. It's a little different for everyone and you just have to find that sweet spot (and that can take a lot of trial and error, so be patient).
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:33 PM   #24  

Just wanted to add that working out gives me a high and loads of energy that lasts for hours after. So keep working out. Your body will love it when it gets used to it.

Last edited by kelleyb; 09-16-2012 at 05:33 PM.
kelleyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:59 PM   #25  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphy View Post
I understand. I guess I am just trying to ease my way into things. I've never been a big breakfast eater because it makes me feel MORE hungry the rest of the day. I was proud of myself for having that croissant because it's usually just coffee. :P I agree that I need to up the protein, it's just hard for me to eat that much meat. There are some things I can cut out to allow myself more calories to go towards veggies.
Of course, it does take time to make the adjustments and find a plan we can live with, which is very important, and we are all different.

FWIW I now eat very little meat and have no problem at all getting enough protein. Meat is far from the only source of protein.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/top-8-vege...gh-in-protein/

Last edited by Misti in Seattle; 09-16-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #26  
Health and Happiness

S/C/G: Restart May 2012: 206/161/fit

Height: 5'5"

For breakfasts you should make mini crustless quiches in muffin cups and freeze them. You can super easily pop one in the microwave or toaster oven in the morning and its not a ton of food. They have a ton of protein and are really filling. I used to make them all the time, but now I'm a vegan (and still get plenty of protein).
GardenBurglar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:14 PM   #27  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenBurglar View Post
For breakfasts you should make mini crustless quiches in muffin cups and freeze them. You can super easily pop one in the microwave or toaster oven in the morning and its not a ton of food.
Wonderful idea! I wish I had enough ambition to do that myself LOL
Old 09-16-2012, 09:17 PM   #28  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenBurglar View Post
For breakfasts you should make mini crustless quiches in muffin cups and freeze them. You can super easily pop one in the microwave or toaster oven in the morning and its not a ton of food. They have a ton of protein and are really filling. I used to make them all the time, but now I'm a vegan (and still get plenty of protein).
That's a good idea, I love quiche. I did better today, but I haven't really been in the mood for meat, so I'm not quite where I want to be yet.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #29  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Just wanting to add something about breakfast... I think a lot of people tend to forget that, but there's no Breakfast Police out to get us for not eatin "breakfast foods". If you don't like eggs, for instance, why not go with "lunch/dinner foods" for breakfast? Would it make things easier for you, by giving you a wider ranger of foods to choos from, I mean?

(Sereiously, I've already eaten things like cassoulet toulousain or steamed pork buns with green beans at 6 am. As long as it's food and it keeps me going all morning long... ^^)
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:14 AM   #30  

So true, Kery. I quite often eat tuna for breakfast, or one slice of pizza... today I had cottage cheese and fruit

Last edited by Misti in Seattle; 09-18-2012 at 01:15 AM.