Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-20-2012, 12:22 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 244/199/180

Height: 5'5"

Default Set back

So I've been on the south beach diet now for 3 months. This week was the first week that I haven't lost weight. In fact, It was quite the opposite. I gained 1 pound. Most people I've told haven't understood why I feel like this is a big deal. Now mind you, I only weigh myself once a week so it's not like I'm obsessively weighing myself daily.

I'm pretty sure the reason why I gained weight was because I let myself cheat this past week. It wasn't full out binge eating but I allowed myself 1 strawberry stuffed with cheese cake filling. (which was fa-nominal by the way! lol) and I did have a small burger with a bun. (I normally throw away) among a few other things which I felt were minor. And also, I noted that all week at work I was forgetting to eat. I'd have lunch and then by 11pm I'd realize I hadn't eaten anything else but a sub all day.

I've lost 36 lbs so far. I got it into my head that I'd lost a lot of weight so "what will it hurt" if I just had a bit of this, or a bit of that. How do all of you deal with these moments? Do you all struggle with this same thing? Who else out there can quote unquote cheat a little and gain it just like that? Does this mean I'm never going to be able to eat a few pieces of pizza with out worrying that I'm going to gain back weight so easily? Will it be different once I've hit my goal weight?
itzadreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:50 AM   #2  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

Probably just water weight! I'd say weigh again in a few days and see what it says.

And avoid thinking about eating some nice things sometimes as cheating. You weren't binging and that's the main thing. And especially if you weren't eating much other stuff! It's good to enjoy yourself and have a little slice of cake.. just not the whole cake.

Weight loss isn't always so clear and it certainly doesn't follow our exact calendar. Some weeks I gain or only lose half a pound or less even though I was doing everything right. The math just doesn't add up. Buuuut, in a week or two I might suddenly lose 3lbs and this is sometimes overnight.

Don't beat yourself up about it, just move on

Great job on losing 36lbs so far, that's awesome!
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:22 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Most people on here who have lost weight, have not lost in a linear fashion. Their weight loss chart bumps up and down, as it goes on a general downward trend. This is totally normal, our bodies are not machines.

If you've been eating low carb, and then had carbs its' natural for your body to hold water weight. It isn't the result of fat gain from "cheating."

I calorie count, so there is no "cheat food" but if I eat carb heavy foods, my body will hold water weight.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:51 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/120/125

Height: 5'6"

This post could not have been made at a better time!

While I'm not trying to lose weight, I have a very difficult time maintaining. Here lately I've been doing the same thing (splurging way more than normal) and my scale is up 6lbs this morning! I certainly hope it's just water weight, but that dang scale sure has a way of messing with your mind

It's my goal today to stick to my eating plan and I'm gonna report back here to be accountable!

to all!
Mollewogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:08 PM   #5  

So far so good...but approaching my danger zone. Snacking before bed is what gets me everytime. I usually end up over doing it on cottage cheese of all things. I know, I know it's healthy but I can eat one huge carton in a sitting and end up physically feeling miserable. Posting here to try and keep myself accountable.

Hope you all are having a good day!
Old 06-21-2012, 06:15 AM   #6  

Woohoo! I did it! Now for two nights in a row!
Old 06-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #7  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Oh Mollewogg! I just busted out laughing because I have the exact same cottage cheese problem!! I guess it could be worse... I can't even tell myself "just one bite" because once that carton is open, I can't stop!!

Well, it's been two days so I'm curious if itzadreamer took the weight off.

Like others have said, you showed great control in your ability to go off plan without over doing it. You didn't binge. I think you did great!

It's just water. I always expect a gain after I eat carbs, whether it be bread or cake. Or even a tough work out. The fact that you've lost every week and you've only gained a pound to me is amazing. I have had far less control over my diet and what I eat, and my weight bounces around like crazy, with weeks of no losses at all.
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:11 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 244/199/180

Sorry for the delay guys!

The good news is, I dropped 3 lbs this week! I think you were all right. Water Weight it was! I also started my monthly so that didn't help either. now I'm down to 205 lbs so I've dropped 39 lbs so far! Yay!

I cheated way less so that was a plus too! Thanks so much for all your great advise! I'm so glad I joined this form!
itzadreamer is offline   Reply With Quote