Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #16  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

I think most of us on this board can relate to at one time feeling ashamed and worthless because of our weight. However, as others have said, if we looked deeper we realized that the weight was just a symptom of our feelings and not the main cause. It's great that you are going to see a doctor/therapist. Many time, as the real emotional issues resolve, the weight starts to come off too.
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 164/--/--

Height: 5'7"

Thanks so much everyone. I realized a while back that being depressed about my weight wasn't helping...so i decided to accept who i am. So i feel fine when i'm alone and in my sweatpants so my clothes aren't a constant reminder of how fat i feel. But i still have it in my imagination that others think i'm fat...which i doubt is true. Anyway yes i think it is all a symptom of depression. Hopefully the doctor's visit will go well on Thursday.
surfergirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #18  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

surfergirl, how do you feel about your friends if they gain 10 lbs? Do you not want to see them as they are now worthless to you? Of course not! You are worthy--of friendship and love! Your friends want to spend time with you regardless of your size because they find your friendship valuable. Spending time with your friends is good for your mood and may help your feelings of depression. Don't hide yourself away. Trust me nobody can tell + or - 10 lbs.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 164/--/--

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by losermom View Post
surfergirl, how do you feel about your friends if they gain 10 lbs? Do you not want to see them as they are now worthless to you? Of course not! You are worthy--of friendship and love! Your friends want to spend time with you regardless of your size because they find your friendship valuable. Spending time with your friends is good for your mood and may help your feelings of depression. Don't hide yourself away. Trust me nobody can tell + or - 10 lbs.
That's so true. I don't value them less if they gain 10 pounds. But like i was talking to a guy friend who was SOOO fit (and probably weighs like 30 pounds less than me... a GUY) and i just felt so ashamed and unworthy of talking to him (i'm NOT interested in him, just a friend).
surfergirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:39 PM   #20  

I think it's wonderful that you've decided to see a doctor. I do feel like you're on the right track because you're acknowledging the fact that this has less to do with your actual body weight and more with self esteem and self worth. Most people gain weight during winter, it's natural, plus you have a healthy weight for your height. Sometimes, the only way to deal with issues like these is to get out of your comfort zone and force yourself to interact with people. It may be uncomfortable at first (like the situation you described with your guy friend), but this is the only way you'll realize that people appreciate you for who you you are, not what you look like and each human being is worthy of friendship and love.
Natasha22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:39 PM   #21  

Wow, I was so glad to find these postings and all the encouragement. I so relate to feeling embarassed. I have put on a lot more than 10 pounds in the last few years. Then I put on another 10 just this year. It has been horrible and my self esteem has plummeted. I too am embarassed for people I know to see me as I look like an elephant compared to where I was. It is the pits. I am glad I am back reading these posts. They are so hopeful. Thanks to all of you.
grabec is offline   Reply With Quote