Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #1  

Default Shopping in my Closet

How many of you have hung on to clothes that you used to wear, got too big for, but held on to them in the hopes that you'd fit into it again?

I've had a basket of clothes that I have hung on to because I wanted to eventually fit back into them. I am making strides.

One other thing I have is a stack of jeans from size 14 up. I'm currently in size 22 jeans, and they are old jeans that I've just gotten back into. Now they are getting too big. Not only that, but the inner thighs have rubbed thread bare to the point where I have put patches inside them so I can get a little more wear out of them.

But here's the rub, I have a pair of size 20's that I have never been able to wear because my mom bought them for me They are my next size of jeans. I am wearing other size 20 jeans (these are khaki in color) and they look great on me, but these are at least 15-20 pounds from fitting. When I put them on, I get discouraged.

So I'm soon to be faced with the decision of whether to buy a transitional pair of denim colored jeans or just wait for the next size down to fit.

Help!
clevergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #2  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I had this happen a few months back (before I got serious about losing weight). I needed pants, have the next size down but they were 10 to 20 lbs from fitting. I just got some pants. I felt like there wasn't any use in suffering through not having any jeans to wear. I got them at walmart so they were very cheap. I'm glad I did, because I'm 10 lbs down from a then and that next size is still a while from fitting.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:52 PM   #3  
Aashna/photographer

S/C/G: 299 / 233 / 165

Height: 5'5

I was hanging into some clothes 7 years ago but I quit doing that and just kept one cardigan that I loved the most in hope I will wear it someday.

I have some clothes that went big on me or tight on me.. the ones tight on me I give them away.. I wouldn't suggest to keep tights clothes that no longer fit you, it will only stress you out.. I think it's better you buy something that you'll feel great in and happy about, when the time come to down a size you can always buy new things, fashion changes all the time, just don't miss it because of a size!
may77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

I have very few items that I kept previously when I was this size. Fashion from 15 years ago is drastically different than it is today. I have a blouse that I am waiting to fit into that I wore the day that I met my husband. I am about 10-15 pounds away from being able to button all of the buttons. I have been shopping clearance for all season items for one size down but that is about it. I have a hand full of blouses and a couple of Levis that are waiting for me. I hope these purchases were not a mistake.

Now what do I do with all of my really nice clothing that is too big? EBay maybe?
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #5  

Height: 5'2"

i have some things ay my moms house that i'm hoping will fit nicely by summer
valalltogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:44 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

I feel like every week is a shopping spree because I have been pulling out all my old clothes that stopped fitting a long time ago. And now they not only fit but they are getting too big

My boss gave me a tip: get rid of the old clothes that are too big now. Then, if the ones I'm wearing get too tight, that's the signal that it is time to start losing weight again - not to buy more clothes that are the next size up.
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:00 PM   #7  

S/C/G: size 20/14/10

Height: 5' 7"

Two summers ago I won a Biggest Loser contest and the prize was $250. I spent it on some workout videos, Wii exercise games and new clothes. If I could get back down to that size this summer, I have some really cute new outfits that were only worn a couple of times and didn't fit the next summer.
mariposssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:04 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 235/233.2/140

Height: 5'7.5"

Ugh. I have the world's most gorgeous closet and I've worn maybe 10% of any of the items out of the house in my life. It's a little depressing.
viklane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:23 PM   #9  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

I'm actually really excited to be able to buy new clothes for myself; all of my older clothes would not be age-appropriate.
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:24 AM   #10  

Height: 5'5

I've kept clothes in the past

am I the only one who has found that when you get back to the weight you were when you wore them the first time they still don't always fit?
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:52 AM   #11  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

Go buy new jeans! Maybe you don't want to spend the money, but you need to look good and feel good when you leave the house. You don't have to spend a lot. Like LockItUp said, grab a pair or two from Walmart. You can even find decent stuff at Ross, Factory 2 U, Goodwill, or Savers. No reason to look all frumpy in big jeans while you wait for the little jeans to fit.

Don't let that pair size 20 of jeans discourage you!! Let them encourage you! Those jeans are going to feel so good when you put them on and they fit! I have a pair of khakis that were my discouragement... I mean, encouragement. They were size 12, but ran awfully small. I was so happy the day they zipped up and fit without being too snug. It as an amazing feeling!

I have a lot of other goal clothes. I closet shop now and then to see what I have. I have 3 boxes of small clothes that I hope to be able to unpack before the end of the year. It'll free up a lot of closet space!
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:10 AM   #12  

I usually don't keep clothes that don't fit me anymore, but I do have other reasons for giving them away: they ran out of style, or I got bored with them. On the other hand, I have a couple of stuff I bought a size smaller on purpose, just to motivate me. I got two summer dresses and a couple of shirts. One of the shirts fits me alright now, but you can definitely see it's smaller and it will look so much better once I lose a couple more pounds.

Last edited by Natasha22; 04-10-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Natasha22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #13  

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrypie View Post
am I the only one who has found that when you get back to the weight you were when you wore them the first time they still don't always fit?
This happens to me all the time. BUT some of the clothes I'm holding onto are at least 10 years old, and I've had two kids during that time (plus gotten 10 years older lol). My hips have spread a bit, fat is distributed differently, boobs are bigger (thanks to pregnancies). So my clothes definitely fit differently now.

I've always been a fairly conservative dresser in terms of style (not a trend follower), so style-wise a lot of my old clothing would still work today: simple dresses with clean lines, tanks/tees, stuff like that. Though I've learned new things about style. For example, I no longer wear crew neck tees because of my face shape. V-necks are elongating.

I haven't gotten rid of my "fat" clothes yet just in case I get accidentally pregnant (waiting til Hubby gets snipped). But after that, they are going to charity. I do NOT want them around as a fall-back plan.

Even at my current weight, I still can't fit into the clothes in my "skinny" box, so I'm just dealing with what I've got.
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:37 AM   #14  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

I kept a bunch of "old clothes" in storage for the past few years. I got out a couple boxes of stuff a couple months ago & started trying things on... YAY! - almost like a whole new wardrobe!!

But I got rid of things that were obviously outdated. Not ashamed that I'm nearly 50, but don't wanna advertise it, either!
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 128lbs/99/99

Height: 5' 2"

I've just managed to fit into some old pants I held onto, in hopes of being able to fit in them again.

Yet I have a skirt I bought from a Japanese site that never listed measurements. It was cheap, so I went for it! And it has NEVER fit. Still waiting until i have a 22in-24in waist to fit into it.
Moonsai is offline   Reply With Quote