Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #16  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I would also recommend dilution. Either diluting regular soda with diet soda or with carbonated water (or even water if you want to wean yourself from carbonation as well).

I do "dilution" for a lot of beverages and foods. I even do this with cereal - diluting the higher sugar granolas with cheerios or other unsweetened cereals.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:22 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Sparkling water, seltzer water, club soda, whatever it is, that's what worked for me. I still drink a lot of sparkling water, but I kicked the full sugar or diet soda habit with that.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:32 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 256/151.8/147

Height: 5' 9"

Default I drink SODA too!

I stick to diet sodas ONLY.....I know MANY nutritionist are against it for various reasons but I love it. I used to drink 4 liters of diet soda a day--and am now down to only 2 (12oz. cans) per day. I prefer Diet coke to coke zero, I also like Diet Dr. Pepper, Diet Gingerale, Diet Grapeico, Diet Lemonade, and Diet Orange sodas. I think they are fine in moderation.
MOLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:26 PM   #19  
Shrinking week by week

S/C/G: 207.7/ticker/105

Height: 5'2

i am a dr pepper lover. and, for the record, its soda, not pop i used to drink 2-3 20oz bottles per day. thats 250 calories a bottle! now, i don't drink it every day. when i do, its only one, and i work the calories in to my 1200. can only afford one per day that way, otherwise, i'd eat no food! lol. sometimes for lunch, i'd have the dr pepper and 55 goldfish crackers (390cal total). cutting down to one per day made it easier to not have any some days. if i dont have one, im okay. but i like it, so like any treat, i work it in
HappyNurse2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:47 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 250/146.8/143

Height: 5'8"

Never a diet soda person, but I was addicted to Mt. Dew, which is probably the worst soda on the market. I think 67 grams of sugar in 1 16 oz bottle...I'd have probably 2 a day, sometimes more. Addicted big time, for 12 years. I have since converted by replacing it with unsweetened green tea. I started with iced unsweetened green tea from Starbucks...at first it was gross, but now I am seriously addicted and LOVE all green teas...but it has to be cold. The caffeine in it prevented me from going through caffeine withdrawals ( I don't drink coffee). Please give it a try. Honest tea makes some teas that say "lightely sweetened" and have about 20 grams sugar per bottle...I drank those a lot at the beginning...now the thought of having a soft drink makes me sick.

I remember when I went to Paris, they didn't have Mt Dew...so I just drank tons of coke. It's such a horrible habit and there is stuff in there that makes you addicted.

I'm convinced that if I had even one (which I don't have the desire to) I'd be addicted again.
rachelinala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 147/147/135 HW - 190

Height: 5'6"

Actually it depends on on where you're from. I'm from Canada and here we call it pop I've read that in some southern states they call everything 'coke'. It's so interesting how language varies in different regions.

Last edited by LisaTcan; 03-18-2012 at 01:00 PM.
LisaTcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #22  
PCOS and Tuesday weigher!

S/C/G: 288/295/175ish?

Height: 5ft4

It's pop in most of the UK aswell
knoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:09 PM   #23  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

I'm from Illinois, and everyone called it pop. Then I moved to southern Wisconsin, where everyone called it soda and I picked up on calling it that too. I'm in Nevada now and it's still soda. Not that it matters since I rarely drink it anymore.

I actually had some today to help settle a bad tummy ache, but it's alright since I've finally reached the point where having some isn't going to set me off on some carb-induced binge. I can't even remember the last time I had regular soda, and diet's pretty rare for me even when I make my own.

I can't have aspatame. I found out a few years back that it gives me horrible migraines. That really limits what kind of diet soda I can have since most contains it; it either has to be sweetened with stevia or Splenda and tends to be expensive unless I make it myself; I have a Sodastream machine at home and sometimes make carbonated water to add straight cranberry juice to. Not cranberry juice cocktail, but the stuff that has nothing added. It's very sour (kinda like lemon juice) but is great diluted in carbonated water.

To be honest, quitting smoking was easier than quitting a daily soda intake, but it's totally doable. I've gone back to it a handful of times, but I knew I personally needed to cut down on sugar so there was no place for having it within my diet, and not being able to have much diet soda helped me stay away from all kinds whenever I go out to eat or when I hit the stores. Regular soda is always in the house since my husband drinks it, but I tell myself it's his and that I don't want it, although like I just said, I did have some today because of the upset stomach. But I've at least reached the point I can have it without issue under certain circumstances.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #24  
Never Giving Up

S/C/G: Going from chubby to not

I believe you when you say you are addicted, because my friend had the same addiction with Pepsi. It had to be Pepsi, not Coca-Cola or any other brand. After many attempts, just like people who smoke, she finally quit, cold turkey. After she quit she lost thirty pounds without hardly trying. I would quit soda altogether and just drink water. Get one of those big thermal water mugs with the straw, and carry it wherever you go. Whenever the urge to drink coke strikes take a swig of water until you are so full of water you couldn't possibly drink anything else.
Serenity100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:58 PM   #25  

Thanks guys..this is actually day one with out soda feeling okay but that's because I don't have it in the house..tonight when I go to work will be my biggest challenge soda machine is right by timeclock ugh
she31 is offline   Reply With Quote