Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #1  

Height: 5'2"

Default doctor office scales

what is with this worldwide epidemic of doctor's scales being heavier? do they get a kick out of it??

i went to the doc the other day and when they took my weight it put me right back to my starting weight. i know i should just be glad with the loss i've seen on my own scale (because it shows i'm losing a little regardless of the actual figures) but UGH.

i'm going to have to weigh myself at the gym to compare all 3. the gym has one of those slider scales which i don't even know if they are most accurate or bologna or what.
valalltogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I don't weigh myself at home wearing full clothing, shoes, etc. At the doc's office, they just have you step on a scale with whatever you have on. Also, if you weigh yourself at home first thing in the AM, you may have had something to eat/drink before you get to the doctor, meaning you'll register that on the scale, too.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #3  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I've noticed that about doctor's scales (my gym has one). I'll weigh myself in my gym attire just before I go on my home scale and I'll get 2lbs heavier on the doctor's scale.

I tested my scale out with various combinations of hand weights, so I know it's accurate.

Just as everyone says: use one scale to measure your progress you still lose pounds on a scale that is off by a few pounds.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #4  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Question is, did you weigh yourself with the same amount of clothes just before going to the doctor's office? I've done that and our scales are nearly identical. I do always take off my shoes at the doctor's office (wear slip on shoes so it's easy) and I try to wear the same weight of clothes each time too. Of course, most people go to the doctor only once a year. I've had to go every few months while they work out my thyroid issues.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

i'm going to have to weigh myself at the gym to compare all 3. the gym has one of those slider scales which i don't even know if they are most accurate or bologna or what.

Scales just show a change. Whatever starting number it is on one scale might not be the same on another. But so long as it registers the CHANGE, then it's fine.

I remember the gym scale and my house scale were different by a lb or two.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #6  

Height: 5'2"

okay, just got back from the gym and it weighs me just like my home scale (i'm currently 147.whatever)

when i went to the doc i was fully clothed, with shoes on. i weighed myself at the gym after my workout, but took off my shoes. at home, i sometimes wear shoes and sometimes don't. i usually aim for the AM but sometimes its before i eat, sometimes after.

gym and home scale match up. i'm satisfied and just gonna chalk it up to an uncalibrated scale at the doc.
valalltogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:18 PM   #7  
saggzz

S/C/G: 222/205.6/170

Height: 5'9"

I had the same thing happen to me on Friday. I was 4 pounds heavier at the doctors office than at home.
saggzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 246/246/135

Height: 5'6

I was at the doctor yesterday and I actually weighed the same as at home. But this time I was completely clothed with shoes on.. maybe I'll put a few weights on my scale to see if it's being accurate =)
Daki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Weigh yourself (if possible) with your clothes on just as you walk out the door to the doctor's office. This isn't possible with me because I usually go to the doctor's office from work. Or weigh youreslf as you leave the gym and then as soon as you walk in the door at home. Try to do these with no time lag in between.

As for official weight - naked, after potty, before eating anything, at home is the only way to go! Keep track of that and you will always have an accurate (as possible) record.

Lin

Last edited by linJber; 02-08-2012 at 04:35 PM.
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:13 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I decline to be weighed at the drs office. I just tell them what I weigh. This of course boggles their mind, but they get over it.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 206/182/135

Height: 5'1"

I always weigh myself first thing in the morning after I've gone to the bathroom, totally naked. Nice and consistent that way.
I've been going to my doctor's office once a month specifically for my weight, and their scale of course is always 2-3-4 pounds off depending on what I'm wearing, so I don't put too much stock in it. If it's an old-school scale vs. digital vs. dial scale, any of those differences could affect it. The big metal scales have to be calibrated by the department of weights and measures, whereas digital scales do not. Though even on my digital scale stepping off and stepping on again sometimes come up with different weights, but whatever. I used to have a dial scale, but it was too iffy for me so I switched.
Stick to your own scale and maybe try to be consistent with how you weigh yourself. You might find better results and have something substantial to tell your doctor instead of worrying about how many layers of clothing you've got on.
Rapunzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #12  

Weighing on different scales is never going to work. You are weighing at different times of day, in different clothes. If the doctor's office is using a balance beam scale and it is calibrated regularly, it is the most accurate. You are putting too much emphasis on what the scale says when the real emphasis should be on those permanent changes to your lifestyle that lead to weight loss and maintenance.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 200/138/125

Height: 5'6"

Upon waking up, naked, after potty, before eating. Love it!

I only weight myself later in the day if I experienced significant... offloading of food byproduct.
jeminijad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Height: 5'6"

Being weighed at the doctor's office is an important for your medical records. Because weight is such an important part of our overall health and fluctuations can be an indication of other issues, it's is important for them to record your weight for your records. This does not mean you must use their number as your daily weight. When they look at your chart the next year, a few pounds difference from your daily scale is not going to be a concern, however, a major change is, which is what they are looking for.

The best thing to do is go in knowing your weight is going to be different, let them check your weight for your records, then let it go. You know you didn't gain 3lbs in the car on the trip to the doctor. Your weight at the doctor is just another benchmark for your overall health. It's no different than checking your blood pressure, temperature, etc.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #15  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

You don't have to look. I never look and I ask the nurse not to tell me. They don't care, makes no difference to them.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote