Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #1  

Arrow Feeling down after staring at the scale this morning

Hey everybody I'm glad other people have had success with this website. I'm just starting (today) along with a slow carb diet and started a blog to record my results and such. I'm hoping to become one of those crazy exercisers haha so that I can get back in shape the way I used to be before college hit and I was working too much to have any spare time for myself.

I weighed myself today and already I'm feeling pretty down about it. I haven't weighed this much ever in my life and I just feel like it's such a long way away which makes me feel selfish because so many people have already come farther than I have to go! I'm doing The Firm Express and the diet I mentioned above. Crossing my fingers.

Any sort of advice, support, etc would be super helpful and really appreciated.
AlexandraJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 192.2/186.6/145

Height: 5 ft 2.5 in

I think everyone on this forum can relate to how you feel. Try not to beat yourself up too much. It is what it is... You are where you are. Focus on today and make it a great day. Best wishes on your new journey.
ptmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 225/201/170

Height: 5'9"

Look at it this way... It's the highest number you'll ever see on that scale
Make it your mission to get that number down every day!
JM14534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:52 PM   #4  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

The number on the scale is just that, a number. Use that number as motivation to stick to your plan.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 319/264/200

Height: 5' 6"

Congratulations on starting your plan today!!

Due to your decision to start today you never have to feel this way again. Today is truly the first day of the rest of your life

If we can do this then you can also Remember it is the long term progress that is important not the little ups and downs along the way.

Larry
Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 266/266/170

Height: 5'6"

Default You did what you had to...

You know, I used to beat myself up over my weight, too...I felt ashamed of it, and poked fun at myself in hopes that I'd beat other people to the punch. But you know what? I never drank to excess, never used drugs, never manipulated people or was knowingly unkind...I just ate a lot.

And after Thanksgiving, I realized that I didn't need to do anything that was hurtful to my health and well-being in order to get by. Life and love are not conditional - I am as worthy of treating myself as I wish to be treated and to treat others now at 269 pounds as I was at 294, and as I will be at 135. The point is to treat my body and soul lovingly, no matter what else is going on.

I already feel better. I've been doing South Beach, and my indigestion has all but stopped, which means I'm sleeping better. My clothes and jewelry are getting looser already, and I finally found the courage yesterday to start exercising. Not to walk into a gym, but to exercise at home (the ultimate judgment-free zone, lol). (I saw a great saying on someone else's blog that's been inspiring me: "I eat every day, so I work out everyday.") I didn't lose weight last week, but for the holidays, that's really not so bad. But I know that I'm making better decisions and benefitting from them, and you'll notice benefits of your improved choices in no time.

So hang in there! You are more than any number that can be used to describe you. Good luck - you can do this!
duxfacti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:43 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by duxfacti View Post
You know, I used to beat myself up over my weight, too...I felt ashamed of it, and poked fun at myself in hopes that I'd beat other people to the punch. But you know what? I never drank to excess, never used drugs, never manipulated people or was knowingly unkind...I just ate a lot.

And after Thanksgiving, I realized that I didn't need to do anything that was hurtful to my health and well-being in order to get by. Life and love are not conditional - I am as worthy of treating myself as I wish to be treated and to treat others now at 269 pounds as I was at 294, and as I will be at 135. The point is to treat my body and soul lovingly, no matter what else is going on.
I just want to say that this is a truly inspirational statement. Bravo.
chantellarae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #8  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

You know what really feels good about the big starting weight? When you lose a whole bunch of it, you'll feel really proud of yourself for what you've accomplished! Does that work?

Seriously, I know how you feel. I think the hardest thing about starting my weight loss was facing the scale for the first time. Instead of being pleasantly surprised ("Wow, I thought I'd weigh more!"), I was mortified, and horrified. I was already disgusted with myself, and the knowledge of my weight only enhanced that. I never weighed so much in my life!

I've lost half the weight I need to lose. More than half. Truth be told, I'd rather not have gotten so fat in the first place, but it feels awfully darned good to have shed all of this weight. I feel good about my accomplishment so far.

Don't let the scale deter you. Let it motivate you.
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #9  

Thanks so much everybody! Honestly reading what you all wrote makes me feel better about my plan to get back to my fightin' weight and away from my current weight. I really can't wait to see what the next couple of weeks brings.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #10  

I'm only on day two and I'm achy as all getout ALREADY. What I used to do was to just give up and say know what? I'll just wait til I feel better tomorrow but just stop. Not today! I'm getting my workout gear on and going to head downstairs.

Journey Day 2. Pain
Old 01-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #11  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by duxfacti View Post

I already feel better. I've been doing South Beach, and my indigestion has all but stopped, which means I'm sleeping better. My clothes and jewelry are getting looser already, and I finally found the courage yesterday to start exercising. Not to walk into a gym, but to exercise at home (the ultimate judgment-free zone, lol). (I saw a great saying on someone else's blog that's been inspiring me: "I eat every day, so I work out everyday.") I didn't lose weight last week, but for the holidays, that's really not so bad. But I know that I'm making better decisions and benefitting from them, and you'll notice benefits of your improved choices in no time.

So hang in there! You are more than any number that can be used to describe you. Good luck - you can do this!
ALL of that. Really. Very well said!
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #12  

I agree it was amazing and well said. This past year has taken a toll on me as last year only I weighed 135. So while I know stress and school and everything attributed to my gaining, it still doesn't feel any better to know that I still gained! Plus the holidays..ugh. I just got finished with my second workout today. Two days down, 26 to go.

My Weight Loss Journey
Old 01-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #13  

Lost that pound I had gained! Thaaaaank goodness. Okay I feel better ha I'll try not to freak out when I gain I promise.

My Weight Loss Journey

Last edited by AlexandraJoy; 01-04-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #14  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

Lost that pound I had gained! Thaaaaank goodness. Okay I feel better ha I'll try not to freak out when I gain I promise

Haha good. Your weight will go up and down daily. Its inevitable. What matters is in the long run you see a gradual pattern of it going down...But like everyone said numbers are just numbers.

We've all been at where you are now. Whats important is that your stopping and taking a look at yourself, and wanting to get healthy. Never feel discouraged at a number you see on a scale. Because eventually your weight will go down if your sticking to plan

Good luck reaching your goal.
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote